Cat Refusing Tuna Juice: A Cautionary Tale

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided to post it here since this is more about how cats act than what you should or shouldn't feed them. I'm sure there's somebody on this site who has the ultimate perfect information that you shouldn't feed your cats tuna juice but I would personally see that as derailing because this is about their neurotic little brains and what happens if you dare change anything. I have done my research and my research indicates they can have tuna juice. If you say I'm wrong, fine; I disagree.

I have two rescues. They love (well, they used to love) tuna juice. One day, because tuna was on sale and all the people less lazy than me had already bought all the tuna in water, I bought tuna in oil.

I opened the can. The cats cry just like normal. Okay, maybe they won't notice, thinks I. I drain the can, them crying the whole time, just as they always do.

I offered them the tuna juice. They sniffed it and walked away disdainfully.

Well, lesson learnt, thinks I. They don't like tuna in oil. Fair enough. It was a one-time thing. They might drink it, they might not, thought I.

EXCEPT NOW THEY ASSOCIATE TUNA WITH THE OIL AND NOW THEY WON'T EAT REGULAR IN-WATER TUNA JUICE!!!

If a cat sees something as negative, it takes ONE TIME for them to associate whatever occurs alongside that thing and avoid it.

Now I have two ruined cats and whenever I have a can of tuna, I have to just dump the juice, THEREBY WASTING IT. If anyone has any power rings, now would be the time to call Captain Planet and tell him he really ought to torture me to death, preferably with the stuff purchased from Miss Trunchbull's yard sale, because I'm pouring a perfectly good resource down the drain when I I have two beings perfectly capable of eating it. If that's my punishment then that's my punishment. I will bow down and accept it willingly. I deserve far worse. I ruined my cats and I'm wasting food.

Now, I actually think this problem might go away. I have a couple foundation cats on the way and they'll arrive as juveniles. I hope that when they are willing to eat tuna juice, their senpai cats' jealousy nodes will activate and they'll just have to start up again or else watch the kittens suck it all up in front of them.

I just have to never, ever, ever do that again.

Ever.

...Ever.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like your humor!!!! your funny. I always rinse real well my tuna when I use it to create more appetite in dry foods like Wysongs Geriatrix $17 for 5 lbs !!! ouch! proof positive I cherish my old kttties eh" They get 2/3 wet and 1/3 dry for kidneys etc
I;m sure you know albacore has higher mercury than cheaper dark stuff. Most have high salt so rinse rinse rinse.
I tried skipjack tuna and they went wild for it but not sure mercury levels in it?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, cats. In animal behavior terms it's called superstition. And cats are especially superstitious!

Yeah, I think seeing kittens drinking the juice will get their jealousy circuits going. You might also try leaving a bowl of tuna juice out for a while and they may investigate it when you're not looking.