Cat Refusing To Eat Or Drink

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to add, if you suspect he might be dehydrated, you are probably adding additional water in the food you're syringe feeding him already to make it looser and easier to draw into the syringe, so you can account for that as well in the amount of water you give to him every day. Just measure how much water you put into his food, for example 10mL per can or whatever, and subtract the total amount of water you put into his food every day from the amount you calculated that should be supplemented by syringing water every day. If you put enough water into his food, you won't even have to syringe water, a huge win-win for you and the cat, (save a lot of trouble!)

<3

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright::vibes::vibes: Sending prayers your way - I am sorry that you are going through this trying time. Rest assured that your boy knows how much you love him & is getting comfort from your touch. If he is really nauseated, you can add acupressure to his treatment - try very tiny, light pressure circles in the area adjacent to the dewclaw and little thumbpad plus the area from the base of the ear and the back of the upper jaw. You can try it on yourself in corresponding areas(your inner wrists and behind the temples) & also on your other cats. Another good area to try is between the back of the lower hind leg down to the paw pad, if he allows it.
Does he enjoy being a heated pad?
Please keep us updated - too many of us have been in your situation and completely understand the loneliness, frustration and worry; you are not alone in this.:heartshape::grouphug2::redheartpump:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions. Apparently I have been feeding him the proper amount of food and according to the directions of Royal Canin I did. I will keep on trying to keep my baby in comfort. The way I see it there is no way back. I don't want to give him any more injections and I think since he started the insulin he is worse. The vets cannot find what he has, they have tried everything they can but I don't want to make him suffer any longer. I will keep feeding him and provide everything he needs, cleaning him etc.

The video with the lady cleaning her 18 year old cat was amazing. This is devotion to our furry babies.

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions. Apparently I have been feeding him the proper amount of food and according to the directions of Royal Canin I did. I will keep on trying to keep my baby in comfort. The way I see it there is no way back. I don't want to give him any more injections and I think since he started the insulin he is worse. The vets cannot find what he has, they have tried everything they can but I don't want to make him suffer any longer. I will keep feeding him and provide everything he needs, cleaning him etc.

The video with the lady cleaning her 18 year old cat was amazing. This is devotion to our furry babies.
I hope you find answers. You clearly love Benji and I'm 100% sure he loves you back. Thank you for doing everything you can to comfort him. Still praying that he recovers.

<3

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you ‘ineedhelpnow’. I am praying for him not to be suffering. I hope he is not in any pain.
Cats are stoic but I do think if they have a good relationship with us (their humans, as you and Benji obviously share) they let us know sooner that they aren't feeling well. I just wish he'd come around and eat a bit for you =(
Please don't think I'm a sappy thing or whatever but the last pet we cared for in a home hospice type situation was with a lot of tears, and a lot of fear, but something that helped us relax (and them, I think) was reading to them aloud from a favorite book like you would a sick child.
We purposely chose our favorite book(s) because we were familiar with them, the contents of the book were familiar and interesting to us, and it engaged us just enough that our voices were normal and not choked with tears and they could hear us talking in a natural voice vs. one that was worried/sad/etc. Some of these book are recent favorites and I even read some stuff from a comic book I've had since I was 7 or 8, I never threw it out and it I read to him from it because it made me laugh a bit and remember some more care free times. I do think this normalcy in our voices helped our pet relax a bit.
If you're not into reading play familiar music, sing with it a bit, etc. Play the TV on low volume, just make some noise that's familiar =)
Thinking of you.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the vet knows he doesn’t eat or drink. We have Hill’s ad and it is the same as Recovery from Royal Canin only a little thicker. I have tried that one too. With no luck. He just licked two or three times and that was it. With the insulin if his organism doesn’t produce insulin then anything he eats is not absorbed and the organism uses the existing fat to survive. Maybe that is why he lost all his fat and is so skinny. This happens with diabetic cats even if they eat a lot that he did and drink a lot of water no nutrients go into their system. The only odd thing is he lost weight so so fast. And think that when I took him to the vet a month ago he was 3.400 kg and now he is 2. He is like melting away. And I feel helpless I can do nothing. I only feed him and clean him and hug him.
:alright::grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::catrub::grouphug2:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are stoic but I do think if they have a good relationship with us (their humans, as you and Benji obviously share) they let us know sooner that they aren't feeling well. I just wish he'd come around and eat a bit for you =(
Please don't think I'm a sappy thing or whatever but the last pet we cared for in a home hospice type situation was with a lot of tears, and a lot of fear, but something that helped us relax (and them, I think) was reading to them aloud from a favorite book like you would a sick child.
We purposely chose our favorite book(s) because we were familiar with them, the contents of the book were familiar and interesting to us, and it engaged us just enough that our voices were normal and not choked with tears and they could hear us talking in a natural voice vs. one that was worried/sad/etc. Some of these book are recent favorites and I even read some stuff from a comic book I've had since I was 7 or 8, I never threw it out and it I read to him from it because it made me laugh a bit and remember some more care free times. I do think this normalcy in our voices helped our pet relax a bit.
If you're not into reading play familiar music, sing with it a bit, etc. Play the TV on low volume, just make some noise that's familiar =)
Thinking of you.
Excellent idea!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent idea!
Thank you =)
Sometimes when thing are normal but maybe a bit quieter this helps make things seem more normal to them and us.
Even if the cat is in a bedroom and we're tidying up, we can say "I'm folding clothes, (kitty name)" or "I'm dusting (kitty name)," it helps them. And it helps us getting that nervous energy away.
Sometimes we'd throw on the most silly nonsensical DVD or show we could find and force ourselves to giggle or laugh. I do think this helps. This isn't a weird new-age-y thing, just the idea that a home filled with gentle laughter and gentle love is a very supportive environment.
We're not perfect as we spent a fair amount of time crying, fussing over them, etc. I'm not saying NOT to do this stuff. But if you're out of tears, pop in a DVD you like and allow yourself to at least chuckle a bit.
(Maybe a silly comparison, but...we've been to nursing homes for humans. Those that are ran like death row with little expectation that the patients will get better or have some quality of life are SO depressing, for the patients, the visitors, the families, and nurses. The nurses have a high turn over rate because the actual job is just so depressing, but homes that are ran with quality of life based on the individual status of the patients, with music and laughter and hugs are so much more rewarding and the patients live longer! I DO strongly feel this can be applied to our pets as well, but it's hard when we're on our own.)

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you =)
Sometimes when thing are normal but maybe a bit quieter this helps make things seem more normal to them and us.
Even if the cat is in a bedroom and we're tidying up, we can say "I'm folding clothes, (kitty name)" or "I'm dusting (kitty name)," it helps them. And it helps us getting that nervous energy away.
Sometimes we'd throw on the most silly nonsensical DVD or show we could find and force ourselves to giggle or laugh. I do think this helps. This isn't a weird new-age-y thing, just the idea that a home filled with gentle laughter and gentle love is a very supportive environment.
We're not perfect as we spent a fair amount of time crying, fussing over them, etc. I'm not saying NOT to do this stuff. But if you're out of tears, pop in a DVD you like and allow yourself to at least chuckle a bit.
(Maybe a silly comparison, but...we've been to nursing homes for humans. Those that are ran like death row with little expectation that the patients will get better or have some quality of life are SO depressing, for the patients, the visitors, the families, and nurses. The nurses have a high turn over rate because the actual job is just so depressing, but homes that are ran with quality of life based on the individual status of the patients, with music and laughter and hugs are so much more rewarding and the patients live longer! I DO strongly feel this can be applied to our pets as well, but it's hard when we're on our own.)
:clap::salam::clap2::heartshape:

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always talk to my pets, every day. When I clean their room or with my other cats always around my feet, I talk to them and I hug them a lot and kiss them. I have the same feeling for them like when my children were babies and needed me the most. To feed them to clean them when it is needed and always talk to them. I remember just a month ago, when I entered the room where my Benji, Sammy and Jeffry live, I put the food in their plates, change the water bowls and clean the litter boxes. Benji would always leave his food and come lick my hand while I was cleaning the litter boxes. And only a week later he couldn't even eat. I cannot apprehend how fast this all happened and all I can hope for now is that he passes in peace. I cannot have him put to sleep, I just can't. If he couldn't breath or showed pain I of course would. Today he is just lying on his favorite pillow, goes to his water bowl as usual. Doesn't like it when I force feed him, I can tell that, but it is necessary. I wouldn't have him dehydrated or starving. Every morning I hope to open the bathroom door (as he sleeps there at night) and find him peacefully gone as I know there is no way he will come back to me. I still talk to him and stay close to him most of the day. Thankfully I can do that as my lessons are almost over for summer (I am a tutor), so most of the day he is close to me and I talk to him and tell him 'remember this and remember that and remember when...' like crazy. People think I am crazy but I feel I am talking to my baby.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always talk to my pets, every day. When I clean their room or with my other cats always around my feet, I talk to them and I hug them a lot and kiss them. I have the same feeling for them like when my children were babies and needed me the most. To feed them to clean them when it is needed and always talk to them. I remember just a month ago, when I entered the room where my Benji, Sammy and Jeffry live, I put the food in their plates, change the water bowls and clean the litter boxes. Benji would always leave his food and come lick my hand while I was cleaning the litter boxes. And only a week later he couldn't even eat. I cannot apprehend how fast this all happened and all I can hope for now is that he passes in peace. I cannot have him put to sleep, I just can't. If he couldn't breath or showed pain I of course would. Today he is just lying on his favorite pillow, goes to his water bowl as usual. Doesn't like it when I force feed him, I can tell that, but it is necessary. I wouldn't have him dehydrated or starving. Every morning I hope to open the bathroom door (as he sleeps there at night) and find him peacefully gone as I know there is no way he will come back to me. I still talk to him and stay close to him most of the day. Thankfully I can do that as my lessons are almost over for summer (I am a tutor), so most of the day he is close to me and I talk to him and tell him 'remember this and remember that and remember when...' like crazy. People think I am crazy but I feel I am talking to my baby.
When things come on so fast, it's such a shock. We don't know what caused it or what it even is, it's frustrating and terrifying. But I have this weird deep down feeling that our pets understand our intentions and our efforts. They know the difference between an indifferent owner that doesn't care much vs. someone who would stay awake for weeks researching if they knew they could find that one "thing" that would make it better.
Another member here experienced something similar with a cat months ago, cat went from a fine, healthy cat to a cat with complete anorexia. It was heartbreaking to read.
I'm so glad you'll be able to stay close to him! Monitor him as much as you can but do not forget to enjoy his company.
If people think you're crazy they would have me committed for being criminally insane because I've told sick pets that it's OK if they need to "move on". I've told them not to worry, told them we will meet up again later when it's my time. I've also told them I don't WANT them to move on, but I understand their need and we will talk about it later.
I said this to one of our guys once and he gazed at me like he couldn't believe I was OKing it. He passed a few hours later.
Tell him you love him, tell him you'll do everything you can to make him happy and you'll love him forever but if his time is difficult to let you know and you can help him. I've said this to the old, sick, and the brand new babies that come here...we love them, we'll do everything we can to make them happy and love them forever but if something happens and this life is impossible to live happily, we can and will help them.
It's not the age or health status that makes me tell them this, it's the love. :hugs:

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for your beautiful post.
I also told my Benji that we will meet again.
I have stopped the insulin as it was making it worse. I have changed his food, still syringe feeding, giving him water with the syringe. He goes here and there but mostly over a bowl of water. He poops and pees normally and he sleeps together with me although he moves all the time even on the bed.
I cannot make the decision to put him to sleep. My mom says I should but then she has no heart for cats or pets in general. My daughter is telling me that as long as he is not in pain as it seems (I can never be sure as cats hide their pain), as long as he can breath without agony, I should do what I do and just hope that he other beats whatever he has (which would seem totally unexpected at this stage) or move on peacefully.
Every day I tell myself, this is his last day, but the next morning he is still there. So I spend the days and nights with him. Wherever in the house I go he comes, upstairs, downstairs, I really don't get where he finds the energy to climb stairs. He is only 2 kg, I weigh him everyday. I just cross my fingers and pray. Nothing more I can do.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat1967, the decision to euthanize is a difficult one. Ask your vet about potential pain issues. I suspect the only potential for pain would be from a secondary infection or injury. The immune system of diabetic animals is reduced.

Benji sounds like a very sweet cat.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I understand your dilemma. When my disabled daughter's 18yo cat went under the bed to hide, we took her to the vet for pain management for the weekend and she was resting comfortably until Sunday evening. When she did not respond to affection, we took her in for a peaceful and easy good-bye. Our kitty had a tumor but was too frail for anesthesia.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Benji seems in no pain as he moves around the house all the time not to hide but wherever he finds a water bowl. He also jumps up and down my bed and the sofa to sleep or sit with me. He goes downstairs to the living room but has difficulty going back upstairs so I always take him up and when I am not home I just restrain him to the upper floor. If he hadn't been that skinny you would say the cat was ok but he is not grooming himself or trim his nails which I have to do something for. I clean him of course but I haven't cut his nails. For all the above reasons it seems so difficult for me to euthanize him because he is not just lying somewhere or hiding waiting for his final day.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't slept since yesterday morning.
The whole day yesterday was a difficult day for my Benji. I fed him in the morning but most of the food didn't go down. So I gave him water for the rest of the day but he didn't pee not only once.
During the night he was going here and there and falling on his side. He would change position every five minutes. He seemed disoriented too. At dawn till later in the morning he wouldn't open his eyes either and he made some sounds. He wouldn't drink the water I gave him with the syringe and I was afraid I would choke him. He was getting colder. I called the vet and made an appointment and today at 13:30 I put my baby to sleep. At the vet's I weighed him and he had lost more weight. His temperature was 34.9 Celsius degrees.
I took my baby's lifeless little body and buried it in my back yard where I have buried my other cats who where run over by cars as those were indoor/outdoor cats. I put his little body in a pillowcase where I had written a farewell, telling him how much I have always loved him. This I have been telling him the whole night long, and that we will meet again.

The vet cannot find what caused this rapid deterioration as he could only find diabetes but even diabetes does not eat up all the fat and muscles that fast.

My heart hurts, my head is about to burst. All these unanswered questions. Was it something that I did? Was it something that I didn't do? Why?

I cannot believe that I will be moving around the house and not to see him.

Goodbye my sweet Benji. Thank you for licking my hand when I cleaned your litter box. Thank you for all the love you showed me these 12 years. I will never ever forget you.

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
The whole day yesterday was a difficult day for my Benji. I fed him in the morning but most of the food didn't go down. So I gave him water for the rest of the day but he didn't pee not only once.
During the night he was going here and there and falling on his side. He would change position every five minutes. He seemed disoriented too. At dawn till later in the morning he wouldn't open his eyes either and he made some sounds. He wouldn't drink the water I gave him with the syringe and I was afraid I would choke him. He was getting colder. I called the vet and made an appointment and today at 13:30 I put my baby to sleep. At the vet's I weighed him and he had lost more weight. His temperature was 34.9 Celsius degrees.
I took my baby's lifeless little body and buried it in my back yard where I have buried my other cats who where run over by cars as those were indoor/outdoor cats. I put his little body in a pillowcase where I had written a farewell, telling him how much I have always loved him. This I have been telling him the whole night long, and that we will meet again.

The vet cannot find what caused this rapid deterioration as he could only find diabetes but even diabetes does not eat up all the fat and muscles that fast.

My heart hurts, my head is about to burst. All these unanswered questions. Was it something that I did? Was it something that I didn't do? Why?

Goodbye my sweet Benji. Thank you for licking my hand when I cleaned your litter box. Thank you for all the love you showed me these 12 years. I will never ever forget you.
Oh my god I'm so sorry. I can't even feel the pain that you are in right now. I'm so sorry for your sweet Benji. I'm sorry I couldn't do anything to help. It's so hard loosing a pet and not knowing the answers. I wish you the best through this difficult time ;(

:redheartpump::redheartpump:

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise

If Benji's body is still intact after burial, (sorry for sounding like this, I don't know any way else to phrase this) I hope you can find a vet that can perform a necroscopy. It's like an autospy, but for animals. For cases like this where there aren't answers it could be potentially useful for you to know and for others if this may affect other animals. In the US it costs around the same amount as a cremation but I don't know how much it will cost in your country or if it's available. Here is some potentially useful info:

How To Know If Your Pet Needs A Necropsy (And What's A Necropsy Anyway?) | petMD

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. We all miss Benji. <3

Last edited:

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. There was nothing anyone could do anymore.

I have buried him now. I wouldn’t want to disturb the body and it is too painful too. I also don’t think they do things like that here in Greece. But I will ask just to know.