Cat refuses to eat

MegKri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just made this account so I could post that. My cat is 12 years and still acts like a kitten. I love him so much. But he has lost so much weight from stress probably and not eating. When I left for college his weight got a lot worse to the point we took him in for blood tests and other test. The results were nothing. My mom has left now (who he spends a lot of time with) for a month on business. He will not eat. Nothing. Just like when I left for college. But even after I came back he only did a little better. He's going to starve himself to death. I have tried every trick in the book. I have changed food from hard to soft, then I changed brands and meat content. I bought things that might help if it his teeth that are hurting. I heat up to the food so its warm. I put out hard food for him in case he decides he doesnt like wet food anymore. I have mixed in pure turkey into his food to give him a little incentive. I have adjusted the height of his bowls in case its a eusophagus problem. I have bought new bowls. I have held the food physically in case he is lonely. I sit with him while he eats. I have tried leaving him alone. I have even tried doing the kitten purrito. I am terrified he doesnt have much time left but from when I have read ...he does not act like he is ready to go. He still acts angry when I put him in his sleeping room for the night, he still jumps onto the counter. Still gets into trouble. But I can tell he is weak. He is 7.5 lbs now. I have spent so much money on different foods. I am losing hope. The only thing if any he will eat..is human food. Especially human turkey. But he cannot live on human turkey but it is what I have been feeding him. He has barely eaten in 4 days. I am desperate and he has gone to the vet so many times. I checked for anemia, and he doesnt have IBS or anything else.

Does any one have any ideas? Can a cat survive on human turkey? He acts so hungry so I know he wants to eat but just wont. Will he starve himself to death? Pleass help :( he is my best friend.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, Im sorry your kitty is not eating. When was the last time he was at the vet?
I would consider asking the vet for an appetite stimulant to get him going, mirataz is an ointment you can apply to his ear or the pill is mirtazepine

have you tried tuna? Boiled chicken?
there are also broths/lickable treats that usually work.
Also try to get a high calorie gel to get some nutrients into him while you discuss with a vet.
I actually have to put a bit on my cats tongue for him to eat it- he wont lick it on his own.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he needs another trip to the vet. How are his bowel movements - does he poop and pee daily normally? Does he vomit? What foods have you tried for dry food and wet food?

For a quick solution you can try Fortiflora but that can be given only once a day on wet food. Better less than nothing but he will still not get enough nutrition with one meal.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The trick is to get him to eat anything to spur his appetite. Walmart has what they call 'lickable treats'. You can order online, most likely Amazon has them too. They are Hartz Delectables Stew (not bisque) and come in a variety pack of tuna and chicken, tuna and whitefish and tuna and shrimp. Cats absolutely love them. So much so that I give their meds in them, (they have leukemia) and when my little boy had an episode, refusing to eat for almost two weeks he was so sick, he actually lived on them for that time. You might try them. They have them for Seniors too with added vitamins.
I really think he misses your mom. Why a sleeping room, let him out and night and see how it goes. It is to save a life. She most likely gave him people food. you may have to do the same for a while, at least until he starts eating again. If he wants turkey, give him turkey. Try Arby's roast beef, a favorite of a dying cat I had, McDonald's chicken nuggets, minced ham lunch meat. Call your mother and ask what he ate. I have often boiled a chicken for an hour, shredded the meat off the bones, and froze it in baggies. Cats love that too. It is a little work but lasts a long time. He might enjoy it. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MegKri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He only has the occasional hairball, his bowel movements are ver consistent. I have tried Prescription Diet food, Wuruva, Blue Winderness, Blue Buffalo, and Purina. His teeth are good, and no worms. And some of the wet food is just pure shredded chicken in chicken broth and he still wont eat it. He does have asthma however. I have tried those walmart treats and he still doesnt want them.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He only has the occasional hairball, his bowel movements are ver consistent. I have tried Prescription Diet food, Wuruva, Blue Winderness, Blue Buffalo, and Purina. His teeth are good, and no worms. And some of the wet food is just pure shredded chicken in chicken broth and he still wont eat it. He does have asthma however. I have tried those walmart treats and he still doesnt want them.
I would say he needs another vet visit.
Maybe they can prescribe an appetite stimulant.
Try some fancy feast or friskies
Maybe try a seafood one thats smelly...

Try some temptation treats / freeze dried chicken purebites ?
He really needs another vet visit though there should be an underlaying cause aside from emotional attachment

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry about your kitty - older cats have a special place in my heart (Feeby is 15+ yo). Have you seen the suggestions in this TCS article (see link below), in case there are more than those already suggested? Also, a more recent tip has been to try Kentucky Fried Chicken, or a similar rendition to that if that is not available to you.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

Edit: there are also supplements to be added to human food that contain items that cats need in their diets. If nothing else, get the supplements and feed him his beloved turkey.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When was the last vet visit? If it's been awhile since the last vet visit (more than a month), it's best to take the cat to the vet again and have blood work done. Make sure the vet checks the teeth, too. Dental issues can cause a cat to not eat. If the vet has no idea what's wrong or gives you a band aid fix (antibiotics is common even if the underlying issues isn't bacteria related:rolleyes3:), take your cat to another vet for a second opinion.

MegKri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He very much has an appetite but refuses to eat kitty food. He wants cheerios, cream cheese and gold fish?! The last vet visit was 2 weeks ago for his updated rabies shot. And these had tried to give him a specific prescription diet food. He meows for food but I have tried every can in the house and every trick. He just wont eat it unless its human turkey. I got him to eat 5 pellets of a hard food but i had to give it to him individually.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Call up your vet and ask about appetite stimulants to maybe kick start him into more kitty foods

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try crunching up the cheerios and/or gold fish and use them up as a topper of sorts on his food. You can mix the cream cheese into the food as well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it the regular Cheddar Cheese Goldfish crackers? Those, and probably all the other varieties, contain onion powder which is generally considered harmful to cats.

What kind of turkey? Deli turkey tends to contain preservatives and sodium and nitrites which aren't good for cats. Plain raw or cooked turkey is ok but not a complete diet on it's own.

I would just call the vet and ask for advice. Can you take a look at the teeth? Do they look normal or is there redness on the gums right under the teeth?

MegKri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the vet. They were very unhelpful but did give me an appointment. The receptionist lady didn't question or ask anything about my cat's health when I told her the situation and made it clear she wasn't going to forward the call to the actual vet. He still isn't eating and I can tell he is getting very thin. He has trouble getting up the stairs. I am starting to worry quite a bit. I might as well try some fancy feasts because that is the last thing I have not.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Email the vet outlining your concerns and issues, and ask for that email to be given to directly to your vet - and also ask for a confirmation of such. I would also attach a copy of the email to the carrier, or inside it, as I would assume you cannot be with your buddy. If you can be with him, take a copy of the email with you. Btw, what is his name - did I miss it in an earlier post?

Everyone is under a lot of stress - I am not excusing the person who answered the phone at the vets. It is very unfortunate that she is not more mindful that the stress being felt by a loving cat owner far exceeds her problems as a receptionist in the big scheme of things.

Get a copy of ALL his records while you are there. If this visit doesn't pan out, ask friends/family/co-workers/neighbors for a referral to another vet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes the receptionist or whoever answers phones and books appointments for the vet hospital has zero knowledge about veterinary issues. They're just there to answer phones and other general office stuff. So I'd give the receptionist a pass to be fair. However, she should have at least taken a message and passed it on to the vet.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It could very well be a pain issue like arthritis. My older cat has gone through periods of not eating and it always seemed to be related to pain in her joints. Has he been given anything for pain?