Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
Share A Funny Cat Story To Win Gwen Cooper's Book! Click here for details

Cat Refuses To Eat From Bowl

Discussion in 'Cat Behavior' started by PASHAMARTLI, Aug 9, 2018.

1. PASHAMARTLI

PASHAMARTLI Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Jul 24, 2018
    Hello
    This may seem silly but lately my cat has been refusing to eat from his bowl
    When I spoon the food from his bowl he will happily eat it out of the spoon
    I have also tried syringe but that was not necessary however he more more than happy to come to the syringe him self every single time
    but why does he just sniff the SAME food in his bowl and have a taste..if that and leave it?

BTW I have tried multiple bowls/plates and its the same story

Is he just being spoiled or could there be another reason? anyone else experience something like this?

maggie101 purraised this.

2. RejoiceErb

RejoiceErb TCS Member Adult Cat

Aug 9, 2018
    Have you changed his food dish or something? Does his bowl just need to be washed? I have no idea lol maybe someone else can give better advice! :)

3. PASHAMARTLI

Jul 24, 2018
    Good point!
    But I happen to suffer from OCD (Medicated) :D
    His bowl is clean on the daily
    I have stopped using dish washing liquid
    I use boiling water and baking soda if its very dirty
    but I have also tried multiple bowls and even plastic party plates which he had no problem with before

ArchyCat purraised this.

4. RejoiceErb

RejoiceErb TCS Member Adult Cat

Aug 9, 2018
    Maybe talk to a cat behaviorist about it. Maybe he has developed a fear of bowls hahahahaha!

5. PASHAMARTLI

Jul 24, 2018
    AHAHAHA Could be!

6. RajaNMizu

RajaNMizu TCS Member Alpha Cat

May 28, 2018
    Maybe that's what it is? Did you notice a change when you started washing the bowls this way?

maggiedemi purraised this.

7. maggie101

maggie101 3 cats Top Cat

Apr 20, 2014
    Houston,TX
    This will sound silly. My cat stopped using a bowl til I bought a whisker free bowl at a small pet store. Something about how their whiskers have so many sensors that it bothers them. Even have a big water bowl for that. It's tilted. She has started using it

ArchyCat and PASHAMARTLI purraised this.

8. maggie101

maggie101 3 cats Top Cat

Apr 20, 2014
    Houston,TX
    20180809_200812.jpg 20180809_200751.jpg

maggiedemi purraised this.

9. Azazel

Azazel TCS Member Super Cat

Apr 14, 2018
    New York, NY
    It could just be your cat being picky, but I wonder how his energy level is otherwise? I ask because I had a kitten that started doing the same thing when he got sick. I think maybe bringing the food closer to his nose helped him smell it better because he was congested. Could this be a similar issue?

ArchyCat purraised this.

10. PASHAMARTLI

Jul 24, 2018
    NOT SILLY AT ALL!
    I was thinking this but thought it was too far fetched haha
    he has massive whiskers and 1 is snapped obviously got it caught some where
    his energy levels are otherwise normal
    the spoon and syringe method do not touch his whiskers and he is fine
    BUT ...the plastic plate i used was one of those flat party dinner plates which wont touch his whiskers
    ive always washed them the same way
    i gave him breakfast today...might delay his lunch/ dinner until he is hungry and then see if hes going to continue the attitude..if so then i know we have an issue

11. maggie101

maggie101 3 cats Top Cat

Apr 20, 2014
    Houston,TX
    Before she had small oval shaped flat dishes. Long whiskers

12. ArchyCat

ArchyCat TCS Member Alpha Cat

Nov 22, 2017
    Texas
    I use foam or large paper plates for one cat. I toss them after one or two days. For my other cats, I use the large stainless steel bowls on a two or three inch tall platform. Rinse & scrub daily for the wet food.

13. duckpond

duckpond TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    I have one cat that often gets fussy with her food. and she is a skinny little thing, so i need for her to eat. she will eat off of a fork, or if i lay it out on the counter that she eats on, beside her bowl, in small bit size bits she will eat. :flail:

PASHAMARTLI and maggiedemi purraised this.

14. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Between Massena & Potsdam NY
    Why don't you use dish liquid? Maybe try washing a plate with dish liquid and using it. It wouldn't hurt to try. My cats prefer plates.

15. Kal_shadowsmom

Kal_shadowsmom TCS Member Adult Cat

May 23, 2018
    Cats are so weird sometimes. My cat went through a phase where she wouldn't eat out of her bowl, she would scoop the food out with her paw and eat off the floor.
    I kept putting it in her bowl because I wasn't going to dump food on the floor, haha.
    She kept this up for a few weeks and then either got over it, or decided it was too much work to scoop her food to the floor every day.

PASHAMARTLI, duckpond and maggiedemi purraised this.

16. PASHAMARTLI

Jul 24, 2018
    I pretty much spent the w/e hand feeding him and I wasnt going to do that anymore seeing as though Im back at work today and he would most likely starve all day until I get home.
    I wasnt so generous with his food yesterday after brekkie.
    Left his favorite meal on a flat plate and waited until he was hungry he stood by his plate staring at me :D and walked off...woke up this morning to find his plate empty :)

maggiedemi and RajaNMizu purraised this.