Cat received sub-q yesterday, patch in legs not absorbing.

Fish Taco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I took my 18 year old dehydrated cat to the vet to receive sub-q fluids. And so far she is doing better (aside from the trust issues...) except there is one thing that concerns me: she has a pocket of fluid on her upper front left leg that has not been absorbed after 24 hours.

The vet is closed until Monday so I cannot ask them about it. Is this something I should be worried about? Everything I could find on Google indicates pockets like this should be absorbed within 8 hours.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi is she limping? Acting different? I don't know, but maybe try calling an emergency vet - hopefully they won't just say you need to bring her in.

For the future, see if there's something in this article that might help, including having the water bowl located away from the food dish, whereas sometimes as the article indicates, having them close together works :):
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

See if Cat Music will help her to feel more relaxed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fish Taco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't been able to walk straight for a while and is generally pretty wobbly. So I can't tell if it's actually impacting her ability to walk.

She is acting more active and alert than she was for the past few days of a result of getting fluids. Has been eating better since. Not quite acting like she was before she vomited a few days ago. (My fault. She has always been rather finicky and I tried giving her Aldi's cheap brand of cat food.) But she might still be a bit rattled from going to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the pouch going down anymore? Since it has drained to one of her legs (which can happen) it can impede mobility. But I would still check to see if there is an off-duty number to call and ask about it. If it is very visible, you might ask if sending a pic would help assess the amount that is left.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fish Taco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is going lower into the leg, yes.

I tried calling an emergency vet office. The woman told me she can't advise me without knowing what the vet did to her and that I have to call them.