Cat Purrs Before Eating

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never fed cats on a scheduled diet before now, so I never noticed before. Before I put down the food, my cats purr with anticipation. Does anyone else have cats that purr before a meal? I've heard of cats meowing for food, but never purring.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli always purrs at mealtimes - he's obsessed with food. The shelter cats are freefed dry and get two meals of wet a day. A lot of them start to purr as soon as you walk in their rooms with their food dishes. The meowing is beforehand, while they're waiting.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think it's the same behavior you see in kittens as they nurse? Domestic cats retain many "kittenish" traits as adults (one of the reasons why we adore them 
) so I guess you can interpret their purring as saying "Thank you, Mommy!"

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two shelter kittens that purred while they were eating. Didn't know they could eat and purr at the same time. Very cute! Haven't noticed them doing it the past few days. But my boy growls when he eats raw lamb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two shelter kittens that purred while they were eating. Didn't know they could eat and purr at the same time. Very cute! Haven't noticed them doing it the past few days. But my boy growls when he eats raw lamb.
Wow that's funny. Carrot will keep purring for the first few bites, but then he seems to get distracted.

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess they are just enjoying their food! It's their way of saying " this is yummy."