Cat puke caused by stress?

alejandrocarrizales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm here because I have kind of a mystery to solve. My girlfriend has found small pukes in home when she comes back from work. She has two cats and it has been impossible to know from whom of them the puke is. This began monday last week and happened again on tuesday. On thursday I took care of them while she was at work and they didn't puke until the next morning, so she took them both to the vet and she said that they where on excellent conditions, that the puke may be caused by a slight change on their diet, also she send them ranitdine and a soft diet. That seemed to work because they didn't puke again until today, monday.

We suspect that the puke may be caused by stress. We have been monitoring them very carefully, they act like they always do, eat well, drink a lot of water and their stool seems fine as it always does. The puke is liquid and the same color of their food. The vet also watch the photos of the puke and a small sample my girlfriend took to her office and told us that it was just food. Neither hair, blood or strange objects.

We conclude that it might be stress, because this has been happening exclusively when there's no one around. Has someone faced a similar situation? Or we should look for a second opinion or request further investigation? The vet performed a really deep exploration on them and didn't seem to find anything wrong with them, neither do we.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm here because I have kind of a mystery to solve. My girlfriend has found small pukes in home when she comes back from work. She has two cats and it has been impossible to know from whom of them the puke is. This began monday last week and happened again on tuesday. On thursday I took care of them while she was at work and they didn't puke until the next morning, so she took them both to the vet and she said that they where on excellent conditions, that the puke may be caused by a slight change on their diet, also she send them ranitdine and a soft diet. That seemed to work because they didn't puke again until today, monday.

We suspect that the puke may be caused by stress. We have been monitoring them very carefully, they act like they always do, eat well, drink a lot of water and their stool seems fine as it always does. The puke is liquid and the same color of their food. The vet also watch the photos of the puke and a small sample my girlfriend took to her office and told us that it was just food. Neither hair, blood or strange objects.

We conclude that it might be stress, because this has been happening exclusively when there's no one around. Has someone faced a similar situation? Or we should look for a second opinion or request further investigation? The vet performed a really deep exploration on them and didn't seem to find anything wrong with them, neither do we.
Their vet should be the best source of information for this; and cat people disagree on whether cats normally puke. I've lived with cats all my life and in my experience, they do puke from time to time; they may eat quickly and regurgitate, which is what your cat(s) sound like (s)he/they are doing, or the may actually vomit. Causes can be many and complex. Personally, I have never worried about this. Others do. Others may say it is not normal. So while I want to give you a defnitive answer, unfortunately, I cannot. If your vet says they are healthy, I would not worry, but it does seem kind of frequent. What are their ages, if you know? and do they normally eat very quickly? Is their environment calm and serene? Is there a lot of noise and/or activity near where they eat? Cats normally do not like noise or a lot of activity near where they eat or where their litterboxes are.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But to answer your question, yes, stress can cause this, and I'd also suspect it, since it didn't happen when you were home with them. Again, as tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 said, your vet is your best source of information on their health.