Cat psychology and training course.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All. I am seriously considering enrolling in an online course to study Cat Psychology and training. I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar?. Did you find it helpful. I am in Australia.http://www.coursesdirect.com.au/animal-studies/cat-psychology-and-training-course
Here is the link to one of the courses. I'm just thinking of doing it for myself and to better understand my own cats. Please tell me what you think.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm really wary about any of those types of businesses, Tammat. 

I had a look through the tutors, and only two have anything to do with animals... a bloke from the CSIRO who works in farming, and a woman with a degree in psychology and 'qualifications' in animal care.  So I'm wondering who actually put the course together.

Did you read through everything the course covers?

http://www.coursesdirect.com.au/animal-studies/cat-psychology-and-training-course

I honestly think the best way to learn this stuff is hands on... for example doing some pretty intensive volunteering for a cat rescue organisation.

But if you want to do it just for fun, and you are able to question what you learn and research more deeply, then go for it.  It's often good to have a structure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mani. That's a good point I didn't consider about the tutors. I looked up another very similar course and those tutors had experience with animals but not cats in particular. I would love to volunteer at a shelter but the closest to me are 100 kms away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mani. I did think of TAFE first. It is a good option and maybe I'll look for some feline books to read and do some self education.