cat prozac

kbradfield85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I am very new to this site but I wanted to see if anyone could give me some information.

I started my.cat on prozac for anxiety and because the vet believes it will make her less tense.so that she will not hurt her ready injured back as often. She was started on 5mg but she was like a zombie and was not eating like she should be. I talked to the vet yesterday and she is now on 2.5mg.

I was wondering what your experience has been with you cat on prozac and IF your cat acted more like themselves after a while. She is very sleepy and has not been as clingy along with not wanting to sleep with me or be near me. Will her personality come back?

Any advice will help! Thank you in advance

:lol3:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It works pretty much like it does with people... It can take up to 6 weeks for you to see any changes.  The lethargy is normal.  Your vet will probably adjust it again.  It's a hurry up and wait process....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kbradfield85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response.

My biggest fear with her was that she was going to be a different cat if I put her on it. And she is I just hoped once her body gets used to it she will become her sweet self again. And she will start eating again.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi  My cat is also on prozac.  He marks his territory in my house when he sees outside cats around. He gets very agitated.   I found with the prozac he is more his old self again, he is not as aggresive with our other inside cats.  He seems more contented now.  For my cat it was a good choice to give him this medication.  Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kbradfield85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding :-)

Did he have any side effects when he first started it?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, he didn't seem to have any side affects that I remember, he's been on them for years.  He's a much happier kitty.  Good luck