cat proofing door knobs?

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I might be insane but I think one of our cats knows how to use rounded door knobs if he is motivated enough. Do those toddler proof door knob things work for cats? How about ways to reinforce the door from the outside that don't involve construction?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe buy round door knobs that have the little locking mechanism so you can lock the door and the cat can't open it?

Or try a child safety door latch thing so even if the cat manages to work the knob the door won't open more than however far you set the latch to. I use this to keep my cats out of the laundry closet: Door Buddy

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in the living room this evening and saw Gracie jump up and try to grab the garage door doorknob. Husband joked that she wanted to steal one of his hot rods. Knowing her, she probably was. 😄

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you are not alone ... mine can and will open doors ... but it only works for mine when they are on a door that opens into the other room - not on doors that open in ( towards them) ... those doorknob covers work but they are hard for some humans ... neither I nor my equally arthritic friend have an easy time opening child proof doors lol- I would instead switch the doorknobs to the lockable kind ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We bought the cheapo door knob protectors with the buttons on the side! Thank you everyone!