Cat-proofing an inwards opening juliet balcony??

pawpawkuma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I live in a 1st floor appartment that has no windows, just glass doors with juliet balconies, and I'm seriously struggling to figure out a way to cat-proof it.

This is what it looks like;

Gap beneath the glass barrier and also a gap between the railing at the brick wall on the left side

Usually it's not a problem and I can just open it a crack with a heavy doorstop, and I've also put a large flower planter and pots on the narrow balcony bit of one to block the gap under the glass barrier but as the weather is getting warmer I want to be able to have them fully open occassionally.

I am also bringing home a new kitten soon and so she will be able to squeeze through tiny gaps.

I didn't think my cat would be able to fit through 1) The gap underneath the glass barrier or 2) the gap at the side between the black railing and the brick wall.

But the other week I accidentally left the bedroom balcony door open too much overnight, or the wind blew it open more, and woke up to no cat :(

Fortunately I found him hidden in the deep bushes in the garden below, uninjured and just scared, but it completely woke me up to the fact that he could escape.

* I have looked at cat meshes but I don't see how this is going to be possible given the design of the balcony including the difficulty in fixing it up high as I can't step onto an actual balcony. Plus I want to be able to lean out to shake out mats, duster etc.

* I have also looked at door screens but again, a sliding one is not possible and nor is an external one really as I wouldn't be able to close it from the inside.

As the door opens inwards I couldn't put a barrier up from the inside either. I'm at a loss.

The nearest thing to a solution I have come up with so far is;

Buy a wide pressure-mounted baby gate like this;

And mount it just outside the door, in front of the glass panel, so the 4 pressure cups push against the brick wall either side.

Now obviously a kitten and possibley even a cat would be able to fit through the gaps. So the next step would be to cat-proof the baby gate.

I thought maybe I could wrap cat netting / mesh around it or attach the mesh with cable ties so that the cats cant fit through the gaps. But could they climb up the mesh and go over the top of the gate ?

If so, perhaps some clear sheets of vinyl, a flexible plastic that could be attached ?

But even so, is it likely to be enough ? Could they just jump straight over the top ? My cat has shown no attempts whatsoever to jump onto/over the top but whos to say he never will, or the new kitten won't when shes bigger ?

If anyone out there has a similar juliet balcony to mine and has found a way to cat proof it or if anyone has more of a 'DIY mind' than me, please please share your thoughts.

Thank you!!

- Bailey

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is actually another kind of high pressure baby gate that I use in my windows.  I have screens in the windows, but the cats can rip them out (it happened once).  I have taken pictures of it facing each way, so you can see what it looks like from inside and you can also see the adjusting mechanism on the back.  Sorry they are out of focus.  My "better"camera turned out to have a broken screen when I picked it up to use it. so I went to this one.  This one had been retired because it's out of focus.  I have one more camera (no smart phone!) but this should be a good enough picture for you to get the idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawpawkuma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there

Thanks for your reply and the pictures look fine, I can see what design the gate is!

It reminds me of a couple I have seen over here (I live in UK) which are perhaps similar

The only issue is that the ones Ive found are just not wide enough even if you use the extension kits, which is a real shame. I also wonder if a cat would be able to put their paws through the gaps and climb it ?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm pretty sure cats could climb it, and I would bet on the new kitten growing up to be able to jump it. I'm at a loss on this one.

Margret

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Something similar to this would probably work: http://www.flat-cats.co.uk/

If you are handy, or know somebody who is, you could put cat net into a wooden frame made to fit into the aperture, but that would be a pain to pop in every time you wanted to leave the door open. We used to have an adjustable metal frame with cat net for our front balcony door, but it was very inconvenient, and we finally had pet screen professionally installed in windows and secured the back balcony with cat net.

This is a fairly expensive solution: http://www.newblinds.co.uk/content/single-door-casette-roller-pet-screen/

Could you use some sort of expandable trellis? http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/willow-expandable-trellis-777640

Last edited:

pawpawkuma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there

Thanks for your response, I have seen those flat cat meshes and they would be perfect however don't appear to be suitable for an inwards-opening door! Curse the design of my balcony lol!

I have considered it may be a diy job, im not handy at all but may have family who could do something like that.

For now I have ordered one of these to see if it works but im just concerned about a cat being able to climb up it.

Im also buying some longer planter troughs that will actually block the gap at the bottom of glass barrier. But that still leaves the gap at the side, so maybe theres something i can do there with some netting.

Thanks all for the ideas and thoughts!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's not just the gaps that are the problem. A cat can jump up to five times its height, some even higher, so you need something to prevent them sailing over the railing when a bird, butterfly or bug flies by. There's a name for it: high-rise syndrome

pawpawkuma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen my brother today who has a wood workshop where he works and he thinks he should be able to make a frame with cat netting to fit inside the actual doorframe.

I probably wont want it to be full door sized but at least half door height, with a way of securing it from being pushed out or falling in. Probably some twisty wood or metal things like you get on rabbit hutch doors ?

For now ill have to see how the pet gate fares but certainly wont use it unsupervised.

Maybe one day someone will design/sell a pet barrier for cats!