Cat proofing a recliner/rocker

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just created a big problem. 

I'm a little person. I am very short and on the tiny side. So furniture is very difficult for me to find, it's all too big for me to comfortably use. We were at a consignment shop yesterday and I found a chair that is comfortable for me - the first chair that I have ever found that is actually comfy and fits me. So naturally we bought it immediately.

Only to take it home, and realize it is a HUGE danger to Sinbad. He won't stay out from under the thing, and even worse - he destroyed the netting and now his favorite place to sit when I'm using the chair is inside  it. The moment I sit down, he zips beneath it, wiggles up under it until I feel his head pressing up against the cushion right below my bum, and he settles in.

The big problem is that it's closer to a rocker than a recliner; there isn't any way to stop it from leaning back when I move, the way a full recliner can lock via a handle mechanism. When I sit down, it rocks back, if I shift position, like a rocker it shifts too. With Sinbad inside/underneath it like that, I can't even move to shoo him out, I have to remain utterly still too afraid to even breathe until he decides to leave.

I don't want to get rid of the chair - I can actually use the living room now! For the first time ever just settle down and actually be comfortable! But obviously I can't actually use it either.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to block the bottom off and keep him out of it? 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm having trouble visualising the exact structure of the chair. Any chance of some pictures?

The first thing that comes to mind is packing the underside with something so there's no space for Sinbad to slide in...although, knowing Sinbad's exploits, I'm thinking it could be hard to find something suitable that he wouldn't be able to move :scratch:

Hopefully seeing it will give me some more inspiration :cross:

graywing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is something I've been thinking about as well with the recliners we have. I've not had problems with our older cat but I'm nervous with a kitten in the house. I'm getting rid of one. The other two I've been trying to figure out a way to be sure he doesn't find his way underneath. We haven't had any problems yet, but I just want to figure something out in advance just in case.

Packing stuff underneath actually sounds like a possible good solution for us. I might have to give that a try. I don't know about styrofoam because if he got curious and tried to bite pieces off I wouldn't want him ingesting any. I suppose wood? Towels?

The other thought I had was to place some sort of material around the chairs like heavy fabric that would hopefully deter him.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very glad to hear that it's recognized as the danger and even death trap that recliners can be.

One of my fosters had a kitten get his head smashed in her recliner chair, he was lucky he wasn't killed, but was in ICU with brain swelling, and it took him weeks to recover.

The vet told me when I went to visit him that this is common, they see recliner/rocker accidents about once a week, and the cat usually gets killed by it.

My visual would be something like this, although it's not going to look very attractive.....

Lay out a flat sheet folded two times on the floor where the chair sits, place the chair on the sheet, base should be a round circle.

Go around the chair and pull the sheet up around it, attaching it to the chair and leaving a little slack for movement when you are using the chair, but it will keep him from going up under it like that and getting injured or worse.

Even better would be a piece of plywood cut in a circle that is slightly bigger than the chair and then doing this with a sheet.

Then there is no chance he can get under it.

It's the only thing I can think of that will work, other than making it so it no longer rocks and is stationary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Columbine Columbine here's a pic of the chair. He can't get underneath it until i sit on it, when it rocks back the gap in the front widens enough for him to go underneath. Then he climbs up under the seat.

graywing graywing hmm.. Rolled up fabric isn't a bad idea. The only question is would Sinbad think to simply move it.

catwoman707 catwoman707 that's an idea... We actually bought a little rug to put underneath it (you can see it in the pic), maybe i could fold it up somehow. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you create some kind of barrier fixed to the seat base - so the barrier is raised as you sit down, but will just slide neatly down again as the chair returns to fully upright?

I know what I mean, but it's kind of hard to describe...

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cute little chair.

If the rug were square you could pull it up on each side of the chair but attach to the chair, as well as sew the 4 corners together. 

It wont look nice at all though, but will serve it's purpose.

Maybe turning the rug over then heavy duty velcro to attach?

Last edited:

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't like citrus smells, but if you can stand some, rub a lemon or orange all around the bottom of the chair (and maybe leave one under it if it won't get squished) and see if it helps, though you probably need to keep it up over time... I think you can buy the spray type in pet stores.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Most cats don't like citrus smells, but if you can stand some, rub a lemon or orange all around the bottom of the chair (and maybe leave one under it if it won't get squished) and see if it helps, though you probably need to keep it up over time... I think you can buy the spray type in pet stores.
That's a good point! Might work.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Sinbad loves citrus. He often steals orange peels out of the trash to play with, if I don't bury them. 

It is really hard to keep him out of things. He loves sticky tape, aluminum foil, and citrus smells... it is really funny watching him whenever he gets his paws on the sticky lint roller. He puts one paw on the handle to keep it in place, then he presses the other one against the sticky tape, stares and pulls it back, shakes it, then presses it forward again. Over and over, he'll just happily stick and unstick his paws until something else distracts him or we take it away. He is especially fond of duct tape. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Sinbad loves citrus. He often steals orange peels out of the trash to play with, if I don't bury them. :lol3:

It is really hard to keep him out of things. He loves sticky tape, aluminum foil, and citrus smells... it is really funny watching him whenever he gets his paws on the sticky lint roller. He puts one paw on the handle to keep it in place, then he presses the other one against the sticky tape, stares and pulls it back, shakes it, then presses it forward again. Over and over, he'll just happily stick and unstick his paws until something else distracts him or we take it away. He is especially fond of duct tape. :lol3:
Gotta love cats that go against the norm :lol3: I usually ask them, "Are you sure you're a cat?"

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now we see the true motivation behind crawling beneath the chair - making sure I can't sit in it so it's free for him.  He actually jumped in it, chased his tail, then jumped over to his usual ottoman to grab his stuffed buddies and bring them to snuggle on the new chair. 
My husband decided to add legs, so it can't tilt back. I'm sad to lose the recline, but it's not worth the risk of injuring or killing Sinbad.

Last edited:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Such a picture of bliss there. I think you've lost your chair for good
Yeah, we always know he loves a new piece of furniture when he chases his tail in it. He investigates and naps on everything at least once, but only chases his tail on a select few. 

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep. Definitely cat approved. Usually in the mornings he is hovering at my feet while I cook breakfast, hoping for scraps to fall. Not today.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"Dis MINE.  You find 'nutha chair!"  Ha ha haaa.

Seems you have a solution.  I was going to say:  INSULATION!  No one likes itchy insulation.  Use a bit of that in the bottom of the chair, then seal so he can't get up inside.  He won't be interested at all after one investigation, guaranteed.