Cat Proof Screens

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do these even exist? I have just transitioned long term outdoor feral sisters Alice and Elise to indoors. They have made a very smooth transition and have been outside at the back window for so long (cared for of course with food and shelter) that my cats seems to have immediately accepted them, and vice versa. However, they would both like to go back outside for which I don't blame there. Their highly feral sister and brother are outside and while I am trying, I don't see any hope for getting them inside, or at least not yet. When I have opened the windows they have shown intense interest in the fact that the glass is "gone" and something more pliable is there. The screens are all in good condition, but they are standard screens. I think that supposed pet proof screening is available but wondered if anyone had ever installed it and if they were happy with it. Years ago I had two feral kittens rip through a screen on a high window that they should not have theoretically been able to even reach.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you own the home there are things you can do to protect the screens. You can attach inexpensive bird netting to the inside or outside frame of the window. This netting is so strong that a cat can climb it without doing any damage. But it will leave tack or staple holes in your window frames. I covered a whole screen porch with this netting and it lasted the five or so years I lived there.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We had Pet Screen installed in several windows over a decade ago and have been very satisfied with it. It's survived two very large cats, both with a tendency to hang their full weight on screens, etc.. The only thing we don't like about it is that it's much darker inside than it was with regular screens.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used pet screen on my windows and was very happy with it. We had it for about 5 years before moving. It was strong and held up well. Looking through the screens was a bit different than regular metal screening, but it does work.

I did use the above mentioned adjustable screen as an extra barrier. I had 2 cats that loved to lay in the window ledge. This prevented them from doing that yet still allowing me to have the windows open!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put pet resistant screen fabric on the sliding patio door that goes out to the back deck.

You can get it al Home Depot, etc. It comes in rolls and you can install it yourself. It's not hard.

The first time I opened the door for Casper, he tried to pounce on a chipmunk that was just a foot away from the door.
Casper hit the screen and bounced off like a trampoline. He walked away with that typical look that says, "I meant to do that..."

If a 15 lb. cat can hit it, full force, I'd say that the stuff can stand up to almost anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. We do own the house, so any of those options would work. Glad to know that it kept all your cats safe and inside.