Cat Proof Fencing

MelodieZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really need input on fencing. We are about to install large PVC pipe all along the inside of our wooden fence to keep our cats from escaping the backyard. We will bracket the pipe near the top of the fence. Has anyone else done this and been successful?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no experience with this but remember reading a number of posts on this site about cat proof fencing. Here is a link to several of these posts that you might want to read while waiting to hear directly from members who have dealt with such fencing! I am sure you will see some responses soon!!

Search Results for Query: cat proof fencing | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MelodieZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have no experience with this but remember reading a number of posts on this site about cat proof fencing. Here is a link to several of these posts that you might want to read while waiting to hear directly from members who have dealt with such fencing! I am sure you will see some responses soon!!

Search Results for Query: cat proof fencing | TheCatSite
Thanks so much! I still can't seem to find anything to see if the PVC pipe solution would be effective. Hopefully I will see something soon.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Corrugate plastic (poly) roofing from Lowes, Home Depot, any hardware store. Looks like sheet iron roof, but, it's translucent plastic of some sort.
Just install it lengthwise at the top of the fence. Easy, Cheap, and if a cat can't jump to the top edge of it, they can't get past it

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This stuff. Installed mid-way up because he was a kitten and I didn't want him falling from the top.
It's now around the top edge.

MelodieZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This stuff. Installed mid-way up because he was a kitten and I didn't want him falling from the top.
It's now around the top edge.
Ohhhh so you mean they will try to jump on the fence and just slip down.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh so you mean they will try to jump on the fence and just slip down.
He would climb the fence and when he reached the panels, no way to get a grip. So, that's as far as he could go.
He's never tried to jump and grab one that I know of.
However, he has hit them with some momentum before. It's not really climbing. He'll make a vertical surface look horizontal. He RUNS up stuff. But, he's never gotten past.
If a cat can't get to the top edge, it can't get past these panels.

MelodieZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He would climb the fence and when he reached the panels, no way to get a grip. So, that's as far as he could go.
He's never tried to jump and grab one that I know of.
If a cat can't get to the top edge, it can't get past these panels.
Yeah the only thing that I am afraid of is she could get to the 2x4 above those panels. That is why it was our idea to have a largish PVC pipe that sticks out so it would create a barrier to the top 2x4.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the only thing that I am afraid of is she could get to the 2x4 above those panels. That is why it was our idea to have a largish PVC pipe that sticks out so it would create a barrier to the top 2x4.
This is the same theory as pvc. Just wider, cheaper, and easier to install.
There's no way a 4" to 6" diameter pvc pipe would stop this.

MelodieZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the same theory as pvc. Just wider, cheaper, and easier to install. pvc wouldn't stop my cat.
Yeah, this is my conundrum. I am just not sure which will work. We have two older cats which won't be a problem, it's the youngster I am concerned about.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think, and I could be wrong, basscat basscat 's cat's weight may have prevented his going up the panels. When we captured two feral Siamese cats, we began by tricking them inside the house, our cats were upstairs. Those two climbed the glass in the windows. They were large panes not the small drive you crazy to wash them panes. They had to hit the glass to continue to the ceiling. Of course they fell, but fortunately hit the soft furniture. (End of story for those who want to know, they went to the country to be barn cats.)

lazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I still can't seem to find anything to see if the PVC pipe solution would be effective. Hopefully I will see something soon.
I'm also looking for input on this: we have a largish irregular shaped high fenced patio and the costs of covering it's top with fence to make a cage are astronomical. I've read about a roller containment system where a large pipe is installed loose on a smaller fixed pipe so when the cat reaches it it turns. Seems quite nifty but I'm looking for people that have actually used it and can verify efficacy...

MelodieZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have decided to install PVC pipe near the top of the fence. We are putting the first few pieces up today. We have not used the rollers so fingers crossed that this works. I will provide an update.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Father in law did the PVC thing, He set it so the PVC does roll, it works well
I think his cat got out when the PVC did not roll

MelodieZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The thing is we are using 8inch PVC. I am really worried about the rolling factor, I am concerned we will do the whole thing and it won't work.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always modify it, put your cat on a harness to test it?
maybe put a section up before you do the whole thing?
He put the PVC on rounded brackets so they roll

his PVC is large it might be 8in

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing is we are using 8inch PVC. I am really worried about the rolling factor, I am concerned we will do the whole thing and it won't work.
Even if it doesn't roll....a cat cannot climb past 8" pvc. UNLESS it can jump on top of it.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah my father in law' cat was able to jump from the roof of the house
to the fence before he set it up to roll, he had to block things too!
tricky cat!!

lazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Father in law did the PVC thing, He set it so the PVC does roll, it works well
I think his cat got out when the PVC did not roll
Hi walli,
Can you post pictures of the installation? How did you make it to roll if there is no inner tube? Thanks!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will ask my father in law to send me a pic.
The PVC is sitting on top of brackets that are rounded
might take a couple days to get the pic!