Cat Probiotics

catmom44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone recommend any specific probiotics for cats? My cat needs some but i’m worried she won’t eat this unflavoured powder of the one I found!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fortaflora is widely used and available - most cats like the flavor so it's great to sprinkle on top of food.
The only problem with it is that it only contains one strain and they usually work somewhat better if more stains are included but I've found that difficult to find, let alone, one the cat enjoys.
It can be pricey, however, you really don't need to use a full packet on each meal so I found one would last a few days.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FortiFlora is awfully addicting to some cats so I wouldn't use that.

Does anyone recommend any specific probiotics for cats? My cat needs some but i’m worried she won’t eat this unflavoured powder of the one I found!

It doesn't have to be cat / pet specific. You can use a Human probiotic because they are available in wider variety of CFU, bacteria strains, and undergo quality control unlike many pet supplements.

Here's some info:

Human probiotics come in capsule form. Just pull apart the capsule halves and sprinkle the probiotic directly into canned food or other moist treat. Mix well. Cats don't notice the probiotic in the food at all. If you're only using half of the capsule at a time, just slide the capsule halves back together and set the partial capsule aside in a clearly labeled baggie or container for next time.

I'd start with a product with multiple strains and a low CFU count to start, maybe 5 billion CFU. Starting too high may result in an upset tummy.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Fera Pet Organics Probiotics. It seems to have no flavor and my cats don’t notice it in their food at all.