Cat pregnancy, not sure if she mated.

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a female cat (Boo), she's only 11 months old, and she was in heat two weeks ago. Now, one day when she was in heat, I brought a male to get her pregnant. I locked them up for almost 24 hours, and then released her because she hated the male and kept fighting with him. Anyway, two weeks later here we are, and I keep checking her nipples to see if she's pregnant or not but I can't tell, because I've never seen a pregnant cat before. And to be honest i'm not so sure if she mated with the male, because she stayed in heat for 4 more days after he left. So I don't know, I took pictures of her nipples for you experts to help me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnant nipples pink up around day 21. Has it been 21 days yet?

Are you a breeder?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 It's been only 14 days, and no, I'm not a breeder, this is my first time :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, I have a female cat (Boo), she's only 11 months old, and she was in heat two weeks ago. Now, one day when she was in heat, I brought a male to get her pregnant. I locked them up for almost 24 hours, and then released her because she hated the male and kept fighting with him. Anyway, two weeks later here we are, and I keep checking her nipples to see if she's pregnant or not but I can't tell, because I've never seen a pregnant cat before. And to be honest i'm not so sure if she mated with the male, because she stayed in heat for 4 more days after he left. So I don't know, I took pictures of her nipples for you experts to help me.
Nipples pink up about day 21,as SArthur said.  They can continue to be in heat also after mating, so this is no proof.

Sudden shrieks, and he fleeing for dear life and or she rolling around as in pains, both licking themselves vigorously,  are common indicies on succesfull mating.

Its my experience they become friendly to each other after the mating, even if they werent before,  so this is too a strong indicium.

Also, its common they do have the ritual of her hissing and swiping paws, and the male beleguering making also friendly sounds - its more or less a play for galleries.  I remember the most vigorous defender of all our wifes, after the mating we suddenly discovered she hadnt got cut cut down her long claws nails....Both we and the breeder did make a gross mistake and forgot...   So it was apparently just a part of courtship, no real animosity, this reluctance even hostility.  Otherwise she would cut our stud into pieces if she really wanted to. Females are better jumpers and climbers than male....

But sometimes they ARE hostile to each other for real, and they wont become friends even afterwards. 

If the male is an experieced tom, territorial and that, he may take her by force, him being usually twice or thrice her size,  without no friendship afterwards.

Our guys werent such, and it was of course why we allowed them to be studs in the world of swedish and norwegian russian blue.

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ wow, a lot of information [emoji]128550[/emoji] The male/tom is an experienced one, so I think he just grabbed her and mated. [emoji]129300[/emoji] Thank you though!

talkingpeanut talkingpeanut well, the woman who give me the male is a breeder and she said my cat's age is fine. Boo is a Persian cat (I think). And like I said, a breeder let me barrow her cat.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ wow, a lot of information [emoji]128550[/emoji] The male/tom is an experienced one, so I think he just grabbed her and mated. [emoji]129300[/emoji] Thank you though!

talkingpeanut talkingpeanut well, the woman who give me the male is a breeder and she said my cat's age is fine. Boo is a Persian cat (I think). And like I said, a breeder let me barrow her cat.
I think you need to find a better mentor. Your cat is not pedigreed, I take it? If so, a breeder really shouldn't have let you borrow her stud.

11 months is young for a litter.

why did you want to get into breeding?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that StefanZ StefanZ was endorsing the kind of mating where the stud just grabs the female. That's not ideal.

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's back in heat, that means she's not pregnant right?

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 she meows when she's alone (calling from toms). She rolls herself on the floor, and sticks her butt up in the air[emoji]128584[/emoji], normal heat signs I guess. This is her third heat cycle.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like she is in heat again. Please do not breed her at this time. She is too young at 11 months old. Cats should not breed before they are 18 months old for their own health and that of their kittens.

Also, there are many risks to breeding in general. Are you sure you want kittens? They are very expensive to feed and vaccinate. Do you have funds for vet care?

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@fatimatiger3  Why are you breeding this kitten? Are you selling the kittens? I assume she's not pedigreed and you don't have papers since you aren't sure of her breed. The kittens aren't worth much money if so. If the stud is purebred and has papers, the owner shouldn't be letting him mate with a non-pedigreed cat. It's just not good business.

And 11 months is still a kitten. Please don't put her through a pregnancy. If the breeder told you that she's old enough, they're wrong. No responsible breeder would mate a cat that young. If she's not pregnant, fixing her would be the best thing for her. There are a lot of complications with a cat not being spayed. Repeated pregnancies are hard on a cat, and even if she doesn't get pregnant - she's at a risk for uterine infections that are life threatening. If cost is an issue, let us know your location and we'll be happy to help you find low cost spay clinics near you. :) 

If you just want more kittens or cats for your home, that's awesome!  The humane society has tons of kittens and they're practically giving them away. Older cats too. :) My local rescue runs specials for $25 adoption fee - and they come spayed/neutered and have all their vaccinations already. 

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I will not try to breed her right now, especially that I'm still not so sure if she's pregnant or not. Also, this time I noticed that her heat is rather light, not so intense as the last two times. So I don't know yet, and I'm not planning to breed her anysoon even if she wasn't pregnant.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, good. We will know more as to whether she is actually pregnant in the next 2-3 weeks.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I will not try to breed her right now, especially that I'm still not so sure if she's pregnant or not. Also, this time I noticed that her heat is rather light, not so intense as the last two times. So I don't know yet, and I'm not planning to breed her anysoon even if she wasn't pregnant.
Could you please tell us why you want to breed her? It will help up help you.

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want her to have one litter before I get her spayed, I know you'll say it's better to spay her as soon as possible, but I don't want to do that. I don't want to wake up one day and regret not letting her have kittens, I feel that it's cruel to just decide for her not to have kittens just because it's what (seems) to be right. And believe me, I have homes for the kittens once they're born, I've put other cats for adoption and found lots of responsible people who took care of them.

I know that one litter will bring countless number of cats, but only if it wasn't planned ahead.

canislupus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please don't breed her if she is not pregnant get her spayed asap it is the right thing as they are so many cats in shelters.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want her to have one litter before I get her spayed, I know you'll say it's better to spay her as soon as possible, but I don't want to do that. I don't want to wake up one day and regret not letting her have kittens, I feel that it's cruel to just decide for her not to have kittens just because it's what (seems) to be right. And believe me, I have homes for the kittens once they're born, I've put other cats for adoption and found lots of responsible people who took care of them.

I know that one litter will bring countless number of cats, but only if it wasn't planned ahead.
So, here are some things to consider. Mating is actually quite painful for your female. Pregnancy and childbirth also have their risks. If she is actually a Persian, there is a high likelihood that natural delivery will be difficult.

The other thing is that your cat has no desire to have kittens. She has no emotional attachment to the idea of motherhood or a future. As I said, it's painful for her and hard on her body.

A planned litter still contributes fully to overpopulation unless the new owners are committed to spaying and neutering. "Just" one litter from every cat is still a lot of kittens...

Something to think about.