Cat possibly has Feline herpes, what can i do to help?

Melodius1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cats bottom lip started to go bald and we noticed some discharge. Took her to the vet and she went on antibiotics which helped. Then it just recently came back and is happening on her upper lip, the vet said she is most likely a sensative cat and it could be FHV. If that is the case (waiting to hear back from her and schedule another visit) are there things I can do at home to help? I ordered Lysine chews as vet recommended. I read on an older thread that diet changes can help? We feed canidae grain free limited ingredient dry and hills science diet kitten wet. Both chicken. Does anyone have stress reducing advice? Supplements? Also can the type of litter we use affect this condition? We use feline pine. Ive read that keeping a calm clean environment is important. Thank you so much, we just want to give our sweet girl the best life we can!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis – TheCatSite Articles
Are Alternative Treatments Safe For Cats? – TheCatSite Articles

Help/maintenance for kitty with feline herpes virus
Feline herpes help

The first two articles are about herpes in general and cautions with some natural supplements, although not based upon their use only for herpes. The second two threads you may have found with some suggestions for help at home.

Diet Changes for Feline Herpes Virus

Stress in cats can come from numerous sources, not necessarily all caused by a huge ruckus in the house. I would watch for signs of stress such as outdoor cats who hang out close to a window, introduction of new pets into the home, major changes that are unavoidable.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cats bottom lip started to go bald and we noticed some discharge. Took her to the vet and she went on antibiotics which helped. Then it just recently came back and is happening on her upper lip, the vet said she is most likely a sensative cat and it could be FHV. If that is the case (waiting to hear back from her and schedule another visit) are there things I can do at home to help? I ordered Lysine chews as vet recommended. I read on an older thread that diet changes can help? We feed canidae grain free limited ingredient dry and hills science diet kitten wet. Both chicken. Does anyone have stress reducing advice? Supplements? Also can the type of litter we use affect this condition? We use feline pine. Ive read that keeping a calm clean environment is important. Thank you so much, we just want to give our sweet girl the best life we can!

Here is a site to help. Have they tested for fhv? Lysine supplements can help. If she doesn't like scents I would switch to unscented litter. Fhv causes uri symptoms as well and can damage the eyes. If it flairs up badly it may be a good idea to treat with an antiviral and eye drops. Here is a link. Stress free as possible is always great.