Cat possible urinary problem

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'm just being OCD but with one of my cats after a small fight broke loose one of them pooped and there were also little drips of normal colored and smelling pee. After herding my cats back into my room for the night I noticed the one was a bit more whiney when I touched near his belly so I touched it again he didn't react the 2nd time but I took my phone and closely observed his cat umm weewee I guess you could call it. He's neutered but I noticed whenever I personally haven't inspected a cats you know what that closely until now but I noticed it was kind of twitching whenever I would touch the fur around it, I have no clue if something is going on to cause it to twitch a little or if it was just that I was getting too close for comfort. I know its a weird question and I wasn't totally comfortable looking that closely at my cats you know what either but I just wanted to know if this was normal or not.

He's kind of a privacy cat where he kind of waits until no one else is around to pee, and that's just his normal behavior. So it's harder to catch him in the act of peeing.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you tell if he's peeing in the litter box on his regular schedule?

If it is a urinary blockage, the clock is ticking and you've got 24 hours or less to get him to the vet.
They will inspect his urethra then either manually relive his bladder or they will catheterize, depending on the severity of the problem. They might just swab out his urethra if the problem is not so severe.

In either case, you'll get some medicine to give him and instructions on how to feed him and make sure he gets enough water in his diet so as to prevent further flare-ups.

Our cat, Casper, had this same problem. Our vet explained that, sometimes, male cats of a certain age just get urinary crystals. It is treatable if caught early and it can be prevented but, still it "just happens."

BTW: A neutered, male cat still has he wee-wee. It's just the testicles that are removed.
Technically, a neutered male can still mate but, without the hormones provided by the testes, the cat has virtually no urge to even try. Even if the cat did try, noting would happen. As the saying goes, "He shoots blanks." ;)

The best way to tell whether your cat is experiencing a urinary blockage is to watch his litter box. Is he eating, drinking, pooping and peeing with the same volume and frequency as always?

When Casper got sick, he didn't go pee for more than a whole day. (It's okay for a normally healthy cat to skip a day in the litter box but not two days.) Then, one evening he peed in the middle of the living room carpet. Casper is a very fastidious litter box user. He never goes outside his box.

We were all sitting in the living room when he laid down on the floor, got a distressed look on his face then, when he got up, there was a wet spot. His expression changed to look like he was saying, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" That's when we KNEW that Casper was having problems! He would NEVER do that unless he was sick!

I picked up the phone and got on the horn to the vet while Casper's Girl-Human scooped him up and put him in his cat carrier. We were in the vet's office within the hour.

Like I said, if you do notice a problem, call the vet, forthwith. Even if you've only got a suspicion of a problem, it's still best to see a vet for expert advice.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah... I forgot to mention...

Sometimes, a cat that's been in a fight will urinate or defecate, either as a sign of submission or because of stress.
They can, litterally, get the s#it scared out of them! ;)

In such a case, a small lump of poo or a tiny puddle of pee would be kinda'-sorta' normal.

Still, if you do suspect a problem, call the vet. :)