Cat poops NEXT to Box. Runnig out of ideas. Help?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll just reinforce what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has said about cleaning the box; sorry for being drastic but imagine you’re going to the toilet and poop from several hours ago is still there not flushed.. would you happily use it again? So I actually emphasize with your cat choices :) Especially if you can only have limited number of boxes, cleaning it impeccably is super important. Maybe try to engage other family members in this duty?
Personally I’m skeptical about the silica litter, lots of cats don’t like how it feels under their paws, and it’s not easy to keep it clean if it’s not clumping and pee simply stay there until you change the whole thing- and if cleanliness is that important for your cat, I wouldn’t risk this type of litter. If you’re going to use cheap clay one just make sure it’s not too dusty, as that won’t help.
But have you tried other natural, non clay ones? Like corn litter, grass seed litter (my personal favorite), walnut litter.. there are some options to try to see if she likes something more than the other?
Other things to consider is how much litter you keep in the box, most cats like generous amount.
And yeah, if you can find some space for another big box to locate some place else, that could also help.
Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crafty_Camper123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've thought about alternative litters such as pine shavings and walnut pellets and the like. Maybe if my silica experiment doesn't work out, I'll move to other kinds of litter next. I'm using the micro crystal kind now. It has a similar feel to regular kitty litter. Maybe I could try a clumping silica. Because then I can remove pee too and keep her box clean longer. My fear is with anything that doesn't feel like the classic. I dont want to make the problem worse. Right now it's about the same as it's always been...
By the way... I named her Prissy. It's so fitting. LoL!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've thought about alternative litters such as pine shavings and walnut pellets and the like. Maybe if my silica experiment doesn't work out, I'll move to other kinds of litter next. I'm using the micro crystal kind now. It has a similar feel to regular kitty litter. Maybe I could try a clumping silica. Because then I can remove pee too and keep her box clean longer. My fear is with anything that doesn't feel like the classic. I dont want to make the problem worse. Right now it's about the same as it's always been...
By the way... I named her Prissy. It's so fitting. LoL!
Ok, I wasn’t aware of micro crystal silica litter, hopefully it’ll work for Prissy. Grass seed is also pretty similar in texture to clay, it’s also clumping very good making it easier to clean, it might be easier to accept than pellets. I have good experience with it.

Crafty_Camper123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This grass seed litter sounds intriguing. May be on my next to try list. She loves going outside and with the similar texture it sounds intriguing... Although if we dispose of it outside, it would be dog food in the backyard. :barfgreen:

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I have to say, you've gone above and beyond what many people out there would do! Sounds like you love her very much. She may have IBS. You might want to try cat enzymes powder to put in her food. The brand I use has acidophilus with the enzymes, and although my kitty hasn't not used her box, it's amazing how her mood, appetite, and #2's have improved.
The ONLY problem, is that..... she poops twice a day now, which is fine with me because I'm at home (and I know it's healthy for her)
Does the room with the box have a ceiling fan? That helps tremendously with the smell when I open my window right after she goes/I scoop.
Or you could try running an extension cord into the closet to an air purifier (provided she doesn't chew on cords). Some of them have an "ionic" feature which creates negative ions which my cat really loves. I've read where a whole pile of cats will be sleeping around these air cleaners because of the negative ions (I like the way they make me feel too).

I'm really thinking it may have something to do with her injured paw. Even though it may be healed, it could still be sensitive and the litter disuades her.
As far as cleaning a litter box, I've found what works best for me and Java is pine pellets. There's much less dust, and it doesn't absorb the smell into the clay, which I hated. Like you, I had to dump the whole thing every week, I couldn't stand that perfumed clay stink smell .
Pine pellets, although not necessarily soft like sand, have worked really well for us. I love the way it makes my apartment smell, it's very natural and I leave a large open bag next to her box which absorbs other odors in my place too.
And aside from scooping day/nightly (inc. scooping out the "sawdust" from the wee), I only deep clean (clean/rinse)her box once a month. The only negative is that she buried with clay, but not with the pine, but I prefer that because the whole litter box doesn't retain the smell like clay.

Ask your hub to
do a daily brushing if he will. It will really bond them and he will be forced to get use to her in his lap..he may end up pushing you away and cuddle the cat! 😁.
Seriously though, the cat will get more emotional needs met and may be more content letting you guys have your own snuggle time (or at least she won't be so upset when pushed away).

If all else fails...I would get puppy pee pads and put one next to box where she's been going. Although not ideal, it probably takes the same amount of time or less to scoop and with an air cleaner (even in the room if it won't be in closet) will help any smell.

Sadly, she may either be euthanized over this, or doomed to living in a shelter forever. I use to work in one, and if a cat wasn't completely litter trained, it never got a home. My parents took on a cat who had IBS from a couple, where same as you, the husband couldn't handle her mishaps (usually on the bed.. consider yourself lucky lol) but they fell in love with her and she lived with them to the end (and she never went on their bed thank goodness, but did occasionally go around the house. Yours is at least right next to the box, which is far better!
Take care...your cat sounds like a cutie/luv.

Crafty_Camper123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I appreciate your detailed reply.
I'm really thinking it may have something to do with her injured paw. Even though it may be healed, it could still be sensitive and the litter disuades her.
If this was an issue just after the foot injury- then yes I would say it contributed. But it has been an issue the whole time we've had her. And the problem hasn't really changed in frequency since.

With kitty ibs, was that cat's poos normal in consistency and frequency? She always has good poo, lol. The only time it was runny was when I changed her food over. I think I changed it a little too fast and she had a day where she had "the runs". Although it used to stink to high heaven, so we changed her to a food that made it stink less. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

And giving her away is a dead last resort... Regardless of what my husband wants. He kind of hates cats, so his tolerance for cat things is pretty low. Honestly it would almost be more humane to make an insulated shelter for her outside and just let her be an outside kitty if it came to that. (Since no one wants a cat with potty problems) What's ironic is he's the one who brought her home. She came to him as a stray and reaaallly laid it on thick for him. She looked so sad and pathetic that he scooped her up and took her home.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few things.

Swapping the box and cleaning is a great idea.

I would also consider adding maybe 2 other boxes in another part of the room (preferably not along an outside wall) and maybe try different litters or some of the other changes others have mentioned. This can limit the change but also give some other options for her if there is a concern on her part regarding how clean the box is or if the smell is staying in the closet area. Just to give as many options as possible to see if it might work. I would go with the largest boxes possible.

So I would finish the silica litter and try the cheaper clay litter in a new box in another part of the room.

When a cat doesn't cover their litter there is usually a reason as a cat typically wants to cover (hide) their scent. Usually it is to tell someone that they "own" this territory so just stay away. Sometimes it is because the cat doesn't like the feeling on their paws or their is some pain with their paws and legs. I am sure it can just be nothing as well. But typically there is some reason in my experience.

Now, I think I remember that you mentioned when she does go outside of the litter box she does try to scratch and cover it up. Is my memory right? I can;t find it in a quick look back.

Now responding to the answers to my questions.

Great that your husband pets her and loves her. Is there any correlation between going out of the box and when you husband "annoys" her? Do you notice any change in her body language or behavior after he "annoys" her? Is it possible to get him to feed her treats, feed her, and/or play with her? There could be two benefits. One he may get more bonded to her so he might be more tolerant and two it might reduce any unease (if it at all exists) she may have with him. Stress can cause behavioral issues so I am trying to figure out if any stress might be emanating from the relationship between your husband and the cat. I am not being judgmental etc, I am just trying to look at every aspect that might be causing the issue and exclude things that might be causing it.

Sounds like she has an amazing relationship with the dogs. DO you notice any correlation between when the dogs don;t want to play and her going outside of the litter box?

Not happening at any specific time of day. I asked that because of the potential feral outside. Do you have a blacklight? If so, can you blacklight the outside of the house and see if any cats are marking the house especially by windows? I wonder if she is smelling the ferals and is a little territorially insecure. I am not sure this is the issue but good to ask and try to exclude potential causes.

Great that she doesn't avoid any areas of the house. Another sign of confidence.

Please look into the correlation between her going out and then after that not using the litter box. With ferals around it can cause an insecurity and certain cats respond differently. Has she ever peed outside of the litter box? Have you ever blacklighted the inside of the house? Have you ever wondered why she didn't pee as much as she normally does? Please keep an eye on her as to how often she comes back in and uses the litter box immediately.

Does she cover her pee in the litter box?

I would if at all possible step up play in the room and then after play feed treats. Just in case it is a confidence issue. What is outside of that room? Any chance animals might be hanging out in bushes or woods near a window of that room?

If at all possible I would add more litter boxes and maybe place them around the room (in addition to the one in the closet). Have some more hidden, some more room around, maybe one on an inside wall and one on an outside wall. And see if she chooses certain ones over other ones. Maybe not clean one etc.

You seem like you keep the litter boxes really clean. She does well right after the cleaning of the litter box, correct? I wonder if the pee is interacting with the cleaning and causing a scent that she doesn't like?

I can tell you are stressed and it is totally normal to be stressed, frustrated etc. Cats can sense our emotions. Is there any escalation of going outside of the box and your frustration/stress? We may not even realize it but cats can pick up on things. There are really sensitive. Again, I am not judging, I am just trying to figure out what might be causing this since the instinct is to cover and not covering/going outside of the litter box typically is Medical (pain, infection) or Behavioral (territorial insecurity, stress, etc).

Don't worry, we are going to figure this out. She is telling us something, our goal is to figure out what it is. We will narrow it down. Hang in there.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If this was an issue just after the foot injury- then yes I would say it contributed. But it has been an issue the whole time we've had her. And the problem hasn't really changed in frequency since.

With kitty ibs, was that cat's poos normal in consistency and frequency? She always has good poo, lol. The only time it was runny was when I changed her food over. I think I changed it a little too fast and she had a day where she had "the runs". Although it used to stink to high heaven, so we changed her to a food that made it stink less. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

And giving her away is a dead last resort... Regardless of what my husband wants. He kind of hates cats, so his tolerance for cat things is pretty low. Honestly it would almost be more humane to make an insulated shelter for her outside and just let her be an outside kitty if it came to that. (Since no one wants a cat with potty problems) What's ironic is he's the one who brought her home. She came to him as a stray and reaaallly laid it on thick for him. She looked so sad and pathetic that he scooped her up and took her home.
I think we can solve the potty problems.

Your husband brought her home so he must have a soft spot for cats. It is there and you did mention her gives love and pets her. I would really like to explore getting him to try to get more of that bond back. It is in him. It is hard to approach someone and talk about things but explaining to him that we should try building a bit of a bond with feeding, playing, etc it could help. Each person responds to different ways of convincing them but the fact he saved this kitty he has it in him. Cats are emotional and ferals (strays) tend to bond to the person that saved them. So that person can have a larger impact on a cat then many people realize. It literally could be as simple and just building that bond again. And it is pretty easy, feeding the cat, playing, giving love, and as the emotions get more positive the positives build on themselves. And the stress for human and cat goes down and goes away. And potty problems disappear which helps build the positives and bonds more. Your husband obviously has a great heart so I think we can get there and let's see if that helps (in addition to the other litter box things). Just be tactful when discussing this. We are not accusing anyone and I know your husband doesn't have malice towards the cat. It happens all the time where things go wrong and stress builds and the negatives spiral out of control. It is just human nature.

I'll second that you are amazing in sticking with her and doing your best. You are awesome!! That is why we are all fully committed to solving this.

Crafty_Camper123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now, I think I remember that you mentioned when she does go outside of the litter box she does try to scratch and cover it up. Is my memory right? I can;t find it in a quick look back.
She scratches the actual box to clean her feet after going.

Great that your husband pets her and loves her. Is there any correlation between going out of the box and when you husband "annoys" her? Do you notice any change in her body language or behavior after he "annoys" her? Is it possible to get him to feed her treats, feed her, and/or play with her? There could be two benefits. One he may get more bonded to her so he might be more tolerant and two it might reduce any unease (if it at all exists) she may have with him. Stress can cause behavioral issues so I am trying to figure out if any stress might be emanating from the relationship between your husband and the cat. I am not being judgmental etc, I am just trying to look at every aspect that might be causing the issue and exclude things that might be causing it.
I'll have to "catch him in the act" and gently remind him to maybe not pick on the cat. Gotta train your husbands with positive reinforcement after all. :blush:

Sounds like she has an amazing relationship with the dogs. DO you notice any correlation between when the dogs don;t want to play and her going outside of the litter box?
No correlation there.

Not happening at any specific time of day. I asked that because of the potential feral outside. Do you have a blacklight? If so, can you blacklight the outside of the house and see if any cats are marking the house especially by windows? I wonder if she is smelling the ferals and is a little territorially insecure. I am not sure this is the issue but good to ask and try to exclude potential causes.
I will look into this as soon as I can get ahold of a black light. There is a neighborhood cat that likes to hang under the trailer parked in our front yard. No bushes or anything like that within view though. She really does not act well to any cat near her house. She screeches and hisses at them.

Please look into the correlation between her going out and then after that not using the litter box. With ferals around it can cause an insecurity and certain cats respond differently. Has she ever peed outside of the litter box? Have you ever blacklighted the inside of the house? Have you ever wondered why she didn't pee as much as she normally does? Please keep an eye on her as to how often she comes back in and uses the litter box immediately.
Before we had her spayed I know she was marking all over the house. Afterwards, I think it has ceased. I have a "mood" UV black light I used through the house and found nothing new. It's been about a year and those old areas have since been cleaned. I really should get a more portable black light and try this again. We had her spayed within 6 months of getting her btw. So 1.5 years ago.
I just let her in when I came home from lunch today. She was meowing at me, and seemed very intent on getting inside. She RAN to her boxes. And promptly peed and pooed... I will need to keep track of this. You may be on to something here.

Does she cover her pee in the litter box?
Not generally, no.

You seem like you keep the litter boxes really clean. She does well right after the cleaning of the litter box, correct? I wonder if the pee is interacting with the cleaning and causing a scent that she doesn't like?
So, I just cleaned her litter boxes out again last night and added more fresh litter. She typically does well for a period of time after this. While cleaning I noticed the robo-box was rather ripe. Even though it appeared clean. I did not notice this while cleaning out the boxes earlier. I swapped out the receptacle, and freshened up the litter. I went ahead and bought a charcoal based closet odor eliminator (unscented) to see if it helps absorb any residual funk the robo-box and my scooping isn't cleaning.

Crafty_Camper123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So based on what everyone's replies have told me, I'll sum up what I will be currently trying.
So far it could be one or a combination of 3 things.
1) Boxes are too small.
-I did just change out the smaller backup box for a larger one I had on hand.
Next steps- Get an under-bed storage container one that is super long an try that.

2) Litter not clean enough.
- I have re-committed to litterbox cleanliness. I'll basically check and scoop her box 3-4 times a day, or whenever I walk by the room. Finish swapping out for silica litter to reduce odors. I also bought a mini air purifier for that room. And I found a charcoal based closet deodorizer to place next to the litter box.
Next steps- Go back to basics and just change her out 100% weekly.
- try natural litters like pine, or grass seed. (It occurred to me my parents own chickens. Maybe I'll commandeer some pine shavings for experimental purposes.)

3) Territorial.
-There are a few cats that lurk around my neighborhood. And one that seems to hang in front of my house exclusively. I'll have to get a UV lamp and look into this.
Next steps- Ask for help on repelling stray cats. LOL

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Good for you that you're determined that she'll stay, that's super commendable. I didn't realize that this happened before the injury so your right... no correlation there. Like some have said it could be the ferals outside. Intuitively I'm thinking it's between maybe some of the emotions/behavior from your husband and just being very picking about a clean box, since she seems to use it more after it's been cleaned/less smell.
My cat yowls at me after poops, wanting me to scoop immediately, lol. But with most people who aren't home throughout the day, that's almost impossible to do. I've tried the charcoal things...they don't do anything in my opinion lol. I've wasted money on them. Trying an air cleaner by the box could really make a difference, and might solve the problem. If not, you could return it, or keep in case you develop allergies or want to have less odors in the house. Many people sleep better too.

My parents kitty who had IBS seemed to me to have normal poos. Occasionally they were soft in her litter, I remember, but most of the time they seemed normal.

It does sound like your hub definitely has a soft spot, that's great. Many people would never consider taking home a stray cat especially if they didn't like cats!
But because you were honest about him kind of hating cats, there's some sort of a confliction there, and like you said, it's best to give him positive reinforcement. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "There are cat people and dog people". You are obviously both. Does he relate considerably different to the dogs than her? I mean, does he antagonize the dogs even a tiny bit?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You think she is scratching the box to clean her feet rather than "trying" to over her scent. In other words, substituting the litter box rather than the actual litter? Is she scratching the inside of the litter box or the top edge or the outside of the box?

Totally agree!!! They eventually come around. ;)

Great. I don't think it has anything to do with the dogs. She loves them.

Does she look out of the front in the early mornings, early evenings, and during the night? I imagine the guest bedroom where her litter is does not overlook the front yard?

Very interesting she ran in and used the litter box (after being outside). How was her body language when she ran in? How did she act after she used the litter box? Did she appear different than a normal, confident way?

And also she doesn't like other cats, responding in a defensive way.

Does she beg to go out? Do you think she would react negatively if she didn't go outside?

Did she ever cover her pee at anytime since she was in the house?

Will she pee in the box if there is already a pee in there? Or does she wait for it to be cleaned and the goes right in after cleaning?

Does she ever not use the litter box in the first 2 days after a thorough cleaning of the litter box?

So a couple things:
She doesn't cover her scent which suggests she wants someone to know this territory is hers and/or her paws don't like the litter.

She greatly dislikes other cats (which could cause territorial insecurity) and there are ferals that are around. And in the past she did show some territorial instincts before the spay.

There are some feral deterrent things we can do but it is hard. Usually confidence is the best way to deal with territorial security though the other options are good to try.

Hang in there, I think we can figure this out and fix it.

Crafty_Camper123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he relate considerably different to the dogs than her? I mean, does he antagonize the dogs even a tiny bit?
We both pick on the dogs. Mess with their ears, do things that mildy annoy them. Mostly just so they are used to children as we have friends with small kids. They seem to be gluttons for punishment. And the dog's annoying habits don't bother him nearly as much. The younger dog did have a problem with poo too when she was a puppy. He was almost ready to consider giving her up too. His tolerance for poo is pretty low I think, lol. That problem has since been fixed.
You think she is scratching the box to clean her feet rather than "trying" to over her scent. In other words, substituting the litter box rather than the actual litter? Is she scratching the inside of the litter box or the top edge or the outside of the box?
She scratches the edges of the box.
Does she look out of the front in the early mornings, early evenings, and during the night? I imagine the guest bedroom where her litter is does not overlook the front yard?
The GB window is less accessable, but still front facing. She looks out the front living room window all the time.
Very interesting she ran in and used the litter box (after being outside). How was her body language when she ran in? How did she act after she used the litter box? Did she appear different than a normal, confident way?
Very urgent when she went in. Meowing, pawing at the door. And just normal I guess afterwards.
Does she beg to go out? Do you think she would react negatively if she didn't go outside?
Yes. She is more destructive if she doesn't get her outside time. (Inappropriate scratching) And she door darts too. When we kept her in while her foot healed she was pretty annoying about it actually.
Did she ever cover her pee at anytime since she was in the house?
I mean sometimes, I think. But mostly she gets in pees in the corner of her box and gets out. She really likes to dig BEFORE she does her business.
Will she pee in the box if there is already a pee in there? Or does she wait for it to be cleaned and the goes right in after cleaning?
She will pee until it is basically pee cake. She LOVES to pee immediately following a cleaning though.
Does she ever not use the litter box in the first 2 days after a thorough cleaning of the litter box?
Normally no. I think... The problem usually improves following a cleaning.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmn..Im wondering if it's a bit of psychological control issues.
Maybe she feels she can't control her environment very well. From what I understand about kitties is that they need to really have routine/control, if not they can exhibit behaviors to try to regain a sense of control. Control = security/safety to them. My cat is a total control freak. Lol. I know routine is extremely important to her. If there's been any change at all, even one small peice of furniture moved, or her being kept in the bedroom while a workman was here..she will go through the house and mark by rubbing against things, and "checks" to see if at least the majority of everything is still in it's place. She was also feral as a kitten and she had 2 owners before her forever home (me☺).

Well, I'll tell you a sad story.
My mom had a friend who's husband had advanced Alzheimer's and she had to take serious care of him. I'm sure it was very hard for him to relinquish complete control over to her, as loving as she was. He started to go #2 around the house! Which of course she had to clean up. She felt he was spiting her, but it could've been more of a need to maintain control, much like a child who won't be potty trained, or eat when asked.

Your house sounds like a hoppin' fun household for your kitty (hec, my cat might love it!) But some of the antaognizing, and the ferals around might make her "ultra" sensitive to having a pristine box. It's "Her" box, "her" space and she is saying "This is the one thing I can control". So in a sense she may be telling you she's anxious in general (especially since she was a feral).

I would try to have one or two daily things for her at certain times of the day. Most cats love brushings. It feels good, makes them feel loved/secure and creates bonding.

Java and I play a "Snackie game" every night. I've trained her
to follow a long plastic stick with a ball on the end (with a bell inside) around. At the other end I tied a "clicker", and everytime she goes where I point the stick/ball, I put a dried treat there and click the clicker.
She looks forward to this every night, and not only does it stimulate her mentally, it gives her a sense of control and also I can use it in the future to get her back inside if she ever gets out.
I just bought a plastic stick with a flag on the end at the dollar store...took off the flag, stuck a common plastic cat ball with bell on the end (the ball had slats in it, and the plastic stick happened to fit through it and stay stuck like that) Very cheap makeshift thing but it works. Ha.

(And obviously cutting down on smell with litter box etc.)

Sorry for all the "underlines", I don't know why my phone is doing this!

Crafty_Camper123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
javi3 javi3 Thanks. I'll need to add some training sessions. I should probably be doing this with everyone (dogs too). They all 3 like to sit for treats together and I've even taught her to "sit pretty" by standing up with her paws up. I've taught the dogs "That's kitty's treat!" and they'll leave hers alone until she "decides" to eat it or leave it, lol.

Well we're day 3 (I think) of freshened box. So far so good... But we are going out of town this weekend. I should probably put down something just in case so her scent doesn't remain if she chooses to poop on the floor. I have heard of people putting down puppy pads for "just in case". But they all have attractant in them. Is this attractant specific to dogs?? I don't want to encourage her, but I also want to be prepared for times when I can't get clean her box every day. Such as going out of town, or maybe when we have a disruption to our house like guests actually using the guest room.

Also- after freshening up the litter in the robo-box and changing the receptacle, it still stinks! I wonder if this has to do why she started increasing her resistance to it. The box was a savior when I first got it, and unless the receptacle got stuck open (pee-ewe), she used it readily. Then she started slowly pooping next to it more and more. Even on times it was clean. I thought I bleached it last time I washed it... But maybe it's got perma-funk. I'm going to see if I can replace just the pan and not the machine. For 170 friggen' dollars for a new unit I sure hope so! I could smell the faint smell of litter box this morning from my bedroom... And if I can smell it, I can only imagine what she smells going in there.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awe, what a cute site with a kitty "sitting pretty" with the dogs🤣..love it).

What helps with Java's "permafunk (haha) in her plastic box, is Clorox cleanup (the original scent..not citrus sent etc).Something about it seems to cancel pretty much any funky smell and much better than straight bleach IMO.

Yeah the robo cleaner from what you described ,may be part of the problem it sounds like. A hooded box might help. I'm not sure if you said that you tried one or not. If not, the cats like the privacy (hence more "control"...a space all their own) and it keeps anything from going over the sides.

Let us know how things go and have a nice vacation 😁

Crafty_Camper123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I gave the robo-box a deep cleaning, washing the litter basin out with hot water and a kennel cleaner meant to kill animal odor. I also sprayed down the robotic housing with the cleaner. I then followed up with a heavy spray of nature's miracle over the entire box and allowed to dry overnight. They box does smell better. But she still strongly prefers to use the regular box. She is still occasionally pooping in front of it, even with 3 times a day cleanings. I am scooping out solids as soon as she makes them. A couple of instances where she pooped in front of it this time:
-She did poop in front of it when we went out of town over the weekend. But the box was full. I did lay some plastic down to catch it just in case. She lifted the plastic up, pooped on the carpet, and covered her poop with the plastic. I immediately cleaned the area with nature's miracle.
- There was one where we were in the shower and I discovered it after we got out. No known trigger. Both litter boxes were clean, and robo-box wasn't stuck open. This was a few days after I cleaned the robo-box with nature's miracle.
- Just the other day, she got out into the garage. When I discovered she was in there, I let her into the house and she RAN to her box. I followed to see where she pooped, and it was in front again. Both boxes are clean. Litter had been recently refreshed.

At this point while I think cleanliness is part of the problem but, it's not the whole picture. I am trying an obnoxiously large litter box now. (This one)
Side note/rant: I have read multiple times, and I think it was mentioned here, that a cat's litter box should be 1.5 times the length of the cat. Is it just me, or does no one make a litter box that fits that criteria?? I mean, my cat is very average in size, and this is the box people are buying for their main coons! This box is only a couple inches longer then she is tail included. She's only 11 lbs. It is the largest box petco carries. It is the largest box I am able to buy in town. I was going to just buy an under bed storage box, but this was on sale for 1/2 price, and has a scoop holder, and taller sides then what I would find with a storage tote.

I set up the enourmous box just last night. Now we wait and see I guess.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I take it no one comes to check on Prissy (and the dogs?) when you go out of town? So, the combination of you being gone and no one cleaning the box likely started her going outside the box again, or my guess anyway. Finding boxes that are big enough is an issue to me too, but the new one you got is probably as big as I have seen. Hopefully, that will do the trick. Or, you may have to resort to making your own litter box from totes, as previously suggested, if this new one doesn't work.

I have never found Nature's Miracle to be particularly effective, especially when carpeting is involved because you have to saturate the area and then wait forever for it to dry. I have used "The Equalizer" on carpeting with much better success and it is nice because you do not have to saturate the carpet so there is much less drying time involved. Just throwing out another idea to add to your list of options to try. It is primarily available on line, and I know Amazon carries it.

Also, you mentioned earlier about cat repellent sprays, but if Prissy goes outside I am not sure this would be a good option. Nonetheless, you can do a search on the internet to see various products you might want to try if you think that would help if this is a territorial issue.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this new box works! :crossfingers:

Crafty_Camper123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take it no one comes to check on Prissy (and the dogs?) when you go out of town?
When we go out of town we take the dogs with us. Usually it's over a weekend. Occasionally a long weekend. So she is usually left for 1, maybe 2 days. If it's longer then that we have someone check in on her. When we first got her, it did stress her out. She would scratch up carpet, and puked in the living room once. We got her a pheromone collar to wear for when we do go on a weekend trip. It has helped immensely. She has also gotten used to it, and seems to realize we're not leaving her forever. We do not see scratched up carpet, or pukes, or any other signs she was distressed. The only thing that happens now is since there is a poo in the box, and no one home to scoop it for a day she will poop in front of it. I can set her off again by being home and not cleaning her box for a day. The day that she pooped seemingly without reason was Thanksgiving. While we were gone all day, the schedule was very similar to a regular Thursday. We were gone about 5 hours, came home to let the dogs out to potty, and were gone another 5 hours or so. This is about how it is on any given work day. While being gone could be a part of it, I'm not yet confident that it Is the biggest factor.

have used "The Equalizer" on carpeting with much better success and it is nice because you do not have to saturate the carpet so there is much less drying time involved
Can you provide a link for this product? Tried an amazon search and couldn't find anything called "The Equalizer".