Cat Pooping Outside (right Next To) Litter Box-only Wants To Use 1 Out Of 3 Litter Boxes

meowse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I am new here as I am a ~fairly new cat owner and am running out of ideas as to what is going on with my cat. I have two cats: one is a female, spayed, torbie (and yes-she has a lot of the tortie personality in her!) who is a little over a year old. She was our first cat. Our second is a male classic marble tabby (he's a beautiful kitty) neutered, and just turned one. Our torbie was our first cat and we got our male kitty about 5 months after we got her. They get along great and hit it off pretty quickly.

The last month and a half or so our tortie has been pooping right outside one of the litter boxes (and I have noticed this is the ONLY litter box that she likes to use-we have 3 in our apartment). This was her only litter box when we first got her so I think she may just be attached/possessive of it. When she poops outside the litterbox, it's right next to it/in front of it and she does her best to cover it up with whatever she can move there (so far a blanket, shoes, cat toys, etc). My husband and I decided to take her to the vet. Exams came back normal-but they did find she had a full anal gland and expressed it but other than that they said she was a normal kitty except for being a little overweight. We took her to second vet to get a second opinion and he basically said the same thing, healthy just a little fat. He recommended we put her on a diet. We went from using Nulo (he said this might be too rich for her as she was also passing awful gas) to Science Diet Healthy Weight.

The problem has continued and has shown no signs of stopping. At first it took us a while to figure out which cat was doing it but she has become rather shameless about it and now does it when we are around. She's a very quiet kitty (she doesn't meow-only chirps and not very often) but I have noticed that when she is pooping, she begins to chirp so I wonder if it is causing her pain? Like she may be constipated? We will be taking her back to the vet this week but I am wondering if there are any other things we could try?

I am not sure if this is relevant, but I wanted to mention that we did change our litter (from clumping to paper pellets) because the clumping kind kept getting very stuck to our male kitty's paws and our vet recommended we use the pellet kind. This was about 4 months ago but I am not sure if that could be a factor. We scoop the litterboxes twice a day (morning and night) and they are fed twice a day (wet and dry).

Any insight/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated! I often lurk here but decided to finally make an account as I have no idea what else to try. Thank you!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Could you try going back to the litter you were using, in that one box that she prefers?

If you don't already have one, maybe try a pet water fountain but there are many tips in the first article that don't involve expense;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake

How To Choose The Best Water Fountain For Your Cat

In case you haven't seen these;

Everything You Need To Know About Constipation In Cats

Should You Add Coconut Oil To Your Cat's Food?
Thank you so much! I will look into these! :)

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would change back to the old liter and see if that makes it stop first. For whatever reason many cats do not like those paper pellets, I think they feel weird under their paws. I have had at least five fellow cat owners that I can think of that had this exact same issue you describe, most recently my fiance's sister had it. Her cat is 11 and never pooped outside the litter box. She changed to the pellets and she would never poop inside the litter box and it went on for weeks, with her being taken to the vet and tested and finally I said maybe it's the litter? Sure enough it was. Hopefully that works for you. If the cat is making it to the box (almost) I doubt its a medical issue. She just does not want to go in that box for some reason.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Going back to the 'old' litter is a good idea! But, since you can so easily monitor her stool - is it overly hard, as if it could be related to some level of constipation? Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you some information on that, so I think you should also consider ruling out/taking care of constipation as part of your overall plan.

The other issue could be the anal gland(s) again - that can go hand in hand with either constipation (poops are too small to express the glands properly) or loose stool (poops are too soft to enable complete gland expression). And, there are some cats who are just prone to anal gland issues, as well as those who are overweight. Any way, the more clogged it/they get the more likely to cause discomfort with pooping.

If the anal gland clogging becomes an ongoing issue for your girl, and you'd like to avoid trips to the vet solely for the purpose of expressing them, the vet can show you how to do it yourself at home.

Here are a couple of articles on the issue, just in case it might help.

Cat Anal Gland Problems: How to Identify and Treat Them

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/anal-sac-problems-cats