Cat Pooping Outside of Litterbox

acrampton15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats has been having issues with pooping. She tries to go in the litter box but then gets startled or seems like she is experiencing pain and will sprint off, start aggressively licking herself and later poop somewhere on the floor. I have taken her to the vet a few times for this and they can’t figure out anything wrong, they did a fecal sample and even cleaned out her anal glands but that didn’t fix the problem. She has no other health concerns and is overall a very healthy cat. I just don’t know how to go about solving this issue. Thank you in advance for any help! P.s. I have another cat (they are littermates) and he has not had any issues like this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acrampton15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! She has dry food available throughout the day and gets a can of wet food for dinner. I primarily use the brand SimplyNourish

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you move the litterbox to a different location, or try putting out a second box, maybe with different litter in it?

acrampton15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently use two litter boxes and have tried moving them to different locations/using different litter and nothing has changed :(

shesgonestella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anything in their environment changed recently? The skittish running and licking sound like she could be feeling anxious.

acrampton15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would describe her as a somewhat anxious (more cautious rather than anxious) cat already but nothing has changed in her environment, she has a daily routine that she sticks too and the house is usually very quiet. The only time she is skittish is when she tries to poop

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully a different vet can determine what's going on, because as you're commenting, it isn't normal, poor baby :heartshape:

Let us know how things turn out :vibes::redheartpump: :crossfingers:

Last edited:

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I'm just curious, how old is your kitty? I only ask as I found out my older cat Casper (16) started having problems with constipation - he would dig around in the litter box, try to poop, run away after trying, and then I would find hard poop in the dining room. After changing up his food a little and adding in some Miralax every few days (at the suggestion of his vet), we were able to curtail the pooping outside the litter box.

acrampton15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That does sound like a very real possibility! She is 1 and a half years old right now so still very young. Her poop seems to be a normal consistency but so far your situation seems the most similar to mine out of everyone I have asked. Maybe I will bring that up to her vet. Did your vet run a fecal sample or did they land on constipation based off the symptoms?

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That does sound like a very real possibility! She is 1 and a half years old right now so still very young. Her poop seems to be a normal consistency but so far your situation seems the most similar to mine out of everyone I have asked. Maybe I will bring that up to her vet. Did your vet run a fecal sample or did they land on constipation based off the symptoms?
Yeah, our vet did take a fecal sample to be sure there wasn't anything else going on, along with a blood work up. She mentioned some of the sample was very hard and dry (she said it crumbled like dirt?! Ew lol) and there were some red blood deposits which indicated he was really straining. He's always been a picky eater too, so we couldn't fully transition him to wet food either, ugh. We just had to find a dry food he would eat with more nutrition and an additive like pumpkin which helps him go #2.
I hope my experience helps, and that your vet has some recommendations for your kitty! ❤

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you feed more canned food and less dry food? Dry food can contribute to dry poop and constipation.