Cat pooping outside of litter box only at night (long, detailed)

slorgim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm at my wits end here and only have a few more tricks to try.

My boyfriend's cat, Talon, has suddenly started to poop outside of her litter box(es) when we've gone to bed. 

my silly little cat friends:

View media item 311478
(Talon on the RIGHT)

About the cat:

-Roughly about 1.5 years old

-spayed female

-not declawed (claws intact) 

-litterbox trained

-adopted last september as a kitten from a shelter

-has a somewhat skittish, anxious personality that I've been trying to remedy. 

-Awful litterbox manners. Never covers her urine or feces, since she's too busy running at full speed out of the box and out to play with our other cat.

-No previous history of this behavior. Uses her litterbox consistently during the day and evening, both pooping and peeing in them. 

-Sometime around the time of the start of this pooping problem I started her on a half-wet half-dry diet. Up until this point she only ate dry food. I feed her between 7-9AM (Dry food only) when I wake up and 5-8PM at night (3oz wet food and a small amount of dry food)

-We do not punish or try to hurt our cats in any way. When she poops on the floor we don't rub her face in it or make try to make her feel stressed.

About our home:

-2 litter boxes, one in the laundry room and the other in our private office, hidden away and quiet

-2 cat household (including the cat in question, Talon)

-A small dog (~16 lbs)

-Four adults, including myself. 3 out of us 4 work/go to university, the fourth stays home.

-Up until recently we only cleaned the litterboxes every 2 or so days (yes I know this is awful and that I should clean it every day). We now clean them daily.

More about the problem/backstory:

My boyfriend, Matt, adopted Talon from a shelter last September when she was around 2 months old. She was previously litter box trained and had no problems with using her litter box. She's messy, though, and doesn't cover up her urine or poop. From the start she's been known to be skittish and anxious, constantly running away from the people she lives with and hiding under things. Always alert. There were two litterboxes available at their house (3 cats total) and she would use the one in her room (a basic pan) and the downstairs covered box.

My boyfriend moved in this May (may 2nd, to be exact) with Talon. She adjusted very well and I've been working on toning down her nervous/skittish ways. She has become extremely outgoing and affectionate and seems to be happy. She immediately took to the litter box we had been using for my cat, Benny, and, again, there were no problems.

Sometime at the end of this September we started waking up to find that she'd pooped outside of her litter box in the laundry room (the only one in the house at that time). We were really confused since she'd never done anything like that before, but we cleaned it up and forgot about it. Two days went by and she did it again. And again. And again. She pooped outside of her litterbox almost every night out of nowhere. During the day she used her litterbox like a champ, both pooping AND peeing in it. It was only when we went to bed that she left us repulsive presents outside of her bathroom in the form of feces.

What we've tried:

During that week we ran out of litter and bought some cheap kind until we could get her proper brand (which was fresh step multicat). I googled the problem and concluded that she must not like the litter, so I went and bought her normal brand. She still pooped outside the box at night.

Next we decided to buy a second litter box. I put some of her old litter in there and she would also use it, yet still pooped at night in the general vicinity of the catboxes.

Then I thought maybe that she was missing the box somehow, despite the poop being anywhere between half a foot away and 2 feet away from the box. Her covered litterbox had the front door removed since the cats didn't like it. I thought maybe she was only going half-way in and pooping on the floor behind her, so I bought -a new- litter box with a proper door. She liked this litter box even less and still pooped on the floor after we'd gone to bed.

After that disappointing experience we decided that maybe she didn't like having her litter box in the laundry room anymore (maybe she was scared/nervous), so I moved it into our office, which is very quiet and where we spend all of our time after work and school. This seemed to be a good change. A few days passed where there was no poop on the floor and we were all happy. Then she pooped again, as always, at night, outside the litter box in the laundry room.

At this point we were really confused. We talked about the problem more in detail and thought maybe we should be more adamant with cleaning the litter boxes. That night we cleaned them both thoroughly, and in the morning were met with a nice pile of poop regardless.

We noted that she ONLY did her dirty deed in the laundry room at night, so last week we started blocking her path with the recyling bin and laundry basket. She couldn't get into the room and the problem seemed to be resolved for three days, until this morning I found a present for me right outside her box in the office instead.

This morning I removed the lid to the office cat box in hopes that she'd feel less trapped/anxious in it and perhaps, gods willing, not poop on the rug again. I also ordered some more litter to try and plan on completely cleaning out her current litter box. I'm desperate at this point. 

(condensed version:)

-Changed litter

-Changed litter box

-Bought a second litter box

-Tried cleaning the litter box more adamantly

-moved her preferred litter box to somewhere quiet

-Blocked her path to the laundry room (where she poops consistently on the floor while we're sleeping)

Yet to test:

-Removing lids from cat boxes so they're open (testing this out tonight)

-Stop feeding her wet food at night (maybe switch to the morning instead)

-Putting her away for the night (crate, bathroom, with a litterbox and food/etc). I Don't really want to do this.

-Going to the vet (not likely, but if absolutely necessary I could get her an appointment (I don't have much spare money for this kind of thing as a college student))

Our thoughts:

-The problem doesn't seem to be with USING the litter box, since she uses it all day just fine up until we go to bed. 

-Maybe it's connected to being alone (when we go to bed) and she's having some sort of behavioral problem. Maybe she's stressed about something we don't know about. 

-My boyfriend suggested something very interesting and coincidental: we feed her the wet food portion at night, and she only poops outside the litter box at night. Perhaps these are related? We started her on a half wet/dry diet around the time this started happening. 

My questions:

At this point I'm desperate and would REALLY love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Any help would be insightful and appreciated.

-Should I stop feeding her wet food? 

-Should I only feed her the wet food portion in the morning and see how it goes?

-Does this sound stress-related?

-Does this sound like a problem with the litter boxes?

-Does this sound medical-related? 

-Am I missing any obvious signs or easy fixes?

Thanks everyone :) Sorry about making this so long; I wanted to be thorough.

TLDR; 2 year old spayed non-declawed cat is pooping outside of her litter box exclusively at night once we've gone to bed. Tried a lot of things. Have yet to try changing her diet. 

It's my first time posting anything like this online so I apologize if I made any stupid mistakes haha :) 

Last edited by a moderator:

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have my empathy. I put up with a cat who pee'd on anything left on the floor for 14 years. Nothing I tried seemed to stop it so we had to be vigilant about keeping everything up off the floor (this was a nightmare with 3 young kids).

I would have to say, first thing, I would get her health checked. Cats will often start to poop outside their boxes if they're unwell, even if they appear to be fine. I had an elderly cat who suddenly started doing it. I didn't realize at the time but she had diabetes (not saying your cat has anything serious going on, but you can at least rule out ANY health issues as being the problem).

Next, am I right in reading she started this a few weeks after moving in with another cat? It *could* be territorial. It could be that she's actually bothered by this cat and he is chasing her out of the litter box or standing and staring at her when she tries to go and it's unnerving her.

Have you tried the Feliway diffuser and/or spray? It's meant to be helpful for anxious cats, one's in particular who are having litter box issues. It might just help to calm things down while you work on what else is going on with this.

Is there any way you can isolate her in a room overnight with her own water, food, bed and litter box, just for a few nights to a week and see if this stops the problem? If it does, then it's possibly what I mentioned above about her feeling intimidated by the new kitty or the new house or something.

I doubt it's food related unless the food is giving her a pain in the tummy and she has learned to associate the pain in the tummy with the litter box. Most commonly though, this causes them to avoid the litter box all the time, but it might be worth switching the wet food to morning or trialing a different brand for a few days too (do this separately to keeping her in her own room, if you change too much at once you won't know what is helping).

Sorry I'm not full of idea's, but as I said, I do understand the frustration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slorgim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

You have my empathy. I put up with a cat who pee'd on anything left on the floor for 14 years. Nothing I tried seemed to stop it so we had to be vigilant about keeping everything up off the floor (this was a nightmare with 3 young kids).

I would have to say, first thing, I would get her health checked. Cats will often start to poop outside their boxes if they're unwell, even if they appear to be fine. I had an elderly cat who suddenly started doing it. I didn't realize at the time but she had diabetes (not saying your cat has anything serious going on, but you can at least rule out ANY health issues as being the problem).

Next, am I right in reading she started this a few weeks after moving in with another cat? It *could* be territorial. It could be that she's actually bothered by this cat and he is chasing her out of the litter box or standing and staring at her when she tries to go and it's unnerving her.

Have you tried the Feliway diffuser and/or spray? It's meant to be helpful for anxious cats, one's in particular who are having litter box issues. It might just help to calm things down while you work on what else is going on with this.

Is there any way you can isolate her in a room overnight with her own water, food, bed and litter box, just for a few nights to a week and see if this stops the problem? If it does, then it's possibly what I mentioned above about her feeling intimidated by the new kitty or the new house or something.

I doubt it's food related unless the food is giving her a pain in the tummy and she has learned to associate the pain in the tummy with the litter box. Most commonly though, this causes them to avoid the litter box all the time, but it might be worth switching the wet food to morning or trialing a different brand for a few days too (do this separately to keeping her in her own room, if you change too much at once you won't know what is helping).

Sorry I'm not full of idea's, but as I said, I do understand the frustration.

I can't imagine what I'd do if my cat was PEEING on things. That seems much worse. There's a special smell to cat pee that I find pretty repulsive. Did your cat stop peeing on the floor after she got treatment for the diabetes, or was it unrelated? That would be extremely hard to live with; you must be very strong!

Getting her health checked would be a good idea- it'd confirm whether or not it was a medical issue or not. If my boyfriend and I can scrounge up some extra money for a vet visit for her then I'd be really interested to hear their thoughts. Also, I don't believe Talon's ever been taken to the vet. Perhaps for a checkup after she was adopted, but I don't remember it at all (meaning I don't think it happened). So adding this onto our pooping problem might make it even more important to see if something is wrong with her.

I thought about it being territorial. Benny and Talon (both female (ugh)) have a good relationship now and play a lot together but I still sense that there's a little discomfort between them. If they're interacting with each other, they're either stalking or ready to pounce and run off with tails high up in the air. Though, it's actually been a lot longer than a few weeks. It took about 4+ months for this weird pooping behavior to start but I agree, it still may be territory related.

After keeping the lid off of the cat box I've noticed she's a little less sprint-outside-as-soon-as-pee-hits-the-litter. Maybe she's enjoying the litter box top being off? She seemed to take her time a little more while in it yesterday but I could just be imagining it. Anyway, I think I'll give that Feliway a try and see how she likes it. She's very flitty and sensitive so it may help.

And yes! We can try to isolate her overnight in our office. She has a lot of areas to lay around in here and we keep her food dish on the ottoman, so it would be okay. 

I'm relieved to hear that you don't think it's food related. If some of the above tricks don't work then I'll try to buy her some different brands. Right now I feed her the wet food for her daily water intake and just buy mostly cheap friskies for it. I like to switch around the types of wet food though and have bought a lot of varieties, from "real chicken" expensive types of wet food and some from Natural balance in the packets.

Last night we kept the litter box lid off, kept the light to the office on (don't know why we thought this would be helpful LOL), and cleaned the cat box before bed. No poop overnight.
I don't trust it though so we'll test it out again tonight and see if any of those three things changed her behavior. If there's no poop again tomorrow then we'll try this out for maybe a week or so. But, if she still poops (which i predict) then I'll try some of the options you named, like getting Feliway and placing her in the office overnight with all of her stuff. 

Thank you so much for your reply!! I'm really grateful for any help we can get :) 

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine what I'd do if my cat was PEEING on things. That seems much worse. There's a special smell to cat pee that I find pretty repulsive. Did your cat stop peeing on the floor after she got treatment for the diabetes, or was it unrelated? That would be extremely hard to live with; you must be very strong!

Getting her health checked would be a good idea- it'd confirm whether or not it was a medical issue or not. If my boyfriend and I can scrounge up some extra money for a vet visit for her then I'd be really interested to hear their thoughts. Also, I don't believe Talon's ever been taken to the vet. Perhaps for a checkup after she was adopted, but I don't remember it at all (meaning I don't think it happened). So adding this onto our pooping problem might make it even more important to see if something is wrong with her.

I thought about it being territorial. Benny and Talon (both female (ugh)) have a good relationship now and play a lot together but I still sense that there's a little discomfort between them. If they're interacting with each other, they're either stalking or ready to pounce and run off with tails high up in the air. Though, it's actually been a lot longer than a few weeks. It took about 4+ months for this weird pooping behavior to start but I agree, it still may be territory related.

After keeping the lid off of the cat box I've noticed she's a little less sprint-outside-as-soon-as-pee-hits-the-litter. Maybe she's enjoying the litter box top being off? She seemed to take her time a little more while in it yesterday but I could just be imagining it. Anyway, I think I'll give that Feliway a try and see how she likes it. She's very flitty and sensitive so it may help.

And yes! We can try to isolate her overnight in our office. She has a lot of areas to lay around in here and we keep her food dish on the ottoman, so it would be okay.

I'm relieved to hear that you don't think it's food related. If some of the above tricks don't work then I'll try to buy her some different brands. Right now I feed her the wet food for her daily water intake and just buy mostly cheap friskies for it. I like to switch around the types of wet food though and have bought a lot of varieties, from "real chicken" expensive types of wet food and some from Natural balance in the packets.

Last night we kept the litter box lid off, kept the light to the office on (don't know why we thought this would be helpful LOL), and cleaned the cat box before bed. No poop overnight.
I don't trust it though so we'll test it out again tonight and see if any of those three things changed her behavior. If there's no poop again tomorrow then we'll try this out for maybe a week or so. But, if she still poops (which i predict) then I'll try some of the options you named, like getting Feliway and placing her in the office overnight with all of her stuff.

Thank you so much for your reply!! I'm really grateful for any help we can get :)

Hi there,
I know i am VERY VERY late :-)
BUT, my 8 week old kitten is doing the exact same thing!!! She's pooped on my bed 3 times and peed once too!
I am at my wits end! HELP! What did you do to stop it??? slorgim slorgim