Cat pooping outside litter box but urinates inside.

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help. I have a cat and he just recently has started pooping under the bed on the floor, he literally pees in the litter box but for whatever reason he poops on the floor that is also under the bed but at the other end. It’s not like he can’t hold it until the litter box, but he will walk to the other end of the bed and start digging the floor and does his business. We have 3 litter boxes that they can use since I also have his brother. When they got here, their litter box was placed there but we moved it to a the other end fore easy cleaning. It is still not a high traffic area so I’m not sure why he started doing this. I got bigger litter boxes and the first day I changed them he did his business there but the next day he went back to pooping on the floor. He did have a week where he had really bad diarrhea because he ate kraft cheese that he stole, so I’m wondering if he has ptsd from that. And he has had a blood test done like a month ago and it came back clear so I’m not sure what it could be.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
What I would suggest is to put a litterbox there where he's pooping, just for a short while. Then, over time, gradually move it in small incremental distances to where you eventually want the box to be.

If I'm reading your post correctly, I think he just needs a little help to realize where he should be doing his other business as well as peeing :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
What I would suggest is to put a litterbox there where he's pooping, just for a short while. Then, over time, gradually move it in small incremental distances to where you eventually want the box to be.

If I'm reading your post correctly, I think he just needs a little help to realize where he should be doing his other business as well as peeing :)
we tried moving the box when he is about to do his business right next to him and he will go in and try to poop but he ends up stretching and digging a little but then he will get out and rather go on the floor. We also tried blocking his spot but he will just go around anything that we put in the way. We had a family member move out so I thought it might be behavioral since I’ve read it could be that, but I am worried it is something health related. The family member had minimal contact with him and the other cat in the household seems to be doing fine 🤷🏻‍♀️. It’s been going on for a week almost so ai an worries if he has anything going on inside of him.

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, his poops are regular and he doesn’t strain when he goes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Am I to understand that the box he used to poop in was moved, and that he still seems to want to poop in the location where it was? If that is the case, you probably need to move the box back to where it was originally, despite the fact it makes it harder to clean. After all, it can't be any easier continually cleaning poop directly off the floor than it was to clean the box where it once was.

Another thing you said might also be something to focus on - that immediately after you cleaned the litter boxes, he used one to poop in, but the next day went back to pooping elsewhere. So, something could be bugging him about what he considers a less than perfectly clean box to poop in? How often are/were you cleaning out the boxes? There are some cats who do prefer to have one box to poop in and another for pee - and I am not sure anyone knows why for sure.

What is the timing of events? When you moved the box and when he had diarrhea? If not in the same time frame, one or the other that is closest to when he stopped pooping in the box is probably your answer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, good point by feebysowner about him possibly wanting a cleaner box ?

The only other thing I can think of is that sometimes poop issues can oddly enough be signs of urinary troubles.

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We clean the litter boxes every day 3 times a day, and at first I also thought it was the cleanliness issue but literally the box is clean when he goes on the floor. And when he first came his box was at the other end because he was still getting use the home, but his litter box placement moved 2 weeks after he came home to us so it’s been a year since his litter box hasn’t been moved from the back spot to forward. And the diarrhea happened maybe a week before he started pooping on the floor. He had diarrhea and was constipated to the point he was bleeding blood like once, but like I said he got over that and went back to normal again. Then the family member moved out and I want to say he started pooping on the floor like 1 or 2 days after, but they’ve been gone for almost a month now. He last had a blood test done on September 21st and I got the results back that same week so maybe the 23rd I think. So I am wondering if he could’ve developed anything between that time period of October and November. I don't want to catch any issues too late, he just turned 1 on November 8th but I’m sure kidney and urinary issues are very plausible.

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, he’s fine in all other aspects. I’m thinking of squeezing him into an appointment but wanted to see if this has ever happened to anyone else before :dunno:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is only 1 yo? It is possible that it is a health issue, but for so young and having had tests done just a little while back, it does seem odd. How close was he to this family member that moved out? Were there any food changes done around the time that the diarrhea started? What was done to resolve the diarrhea followed by constipation? There is a missing puzzle piece in here somewhere...

Also, how are you cleaning the area where he poops? If he always goes back to that same area, he could be smelling his scent, which can be an invitation to go there again and again.

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is only 1 yo? It is possible that it is a health issue, but for so young and having had tests done just a little while back, it does seem odd. How close was he to this family member that moved out? Were there any food changes done around the time that the diarrhea started? What was done to resolve the diarrhea followed by constipation? There is a missing puzzle piece in here somewhere...

Also, how are you cleaning the area where he poops? If he always goes back to that same area, he could be smelling his scent, which can be an invitation to go there again and again.
For his diarrhea because it was cheese and non toxic, i waited it out. He’s always been bad with eating things he is not supposed to, because I’ve taken him to the vet for diarrhea issues and one time he ate garlic chicken which was the reason for the blood tests. On that occasion the vet had given him liquids for dehydration and checked his blood which he later said came out clear. At that occasion specifically he recovered right away. This time because it was cheese I didn’t want to give him the medication that the vet usually gives me for diarrhea because it is harsh and invasive and he usually spits it out because of how it tastes and it traumatizes him when we have to syringe feed him. This time I waited it out and gave him pumpkin purée with blended bland boiled chicken. And as far as diet he eats wet and dry food. Mostly Weruva wet food with Orijen dry food sprinkled in meals because they like the crunch ( I think) , but no changes in diet other than that time he had the diarrhea where I needed to supplement his usual weruva food with a bland diet.

And the family member was the one who brought them home, but they worked for most of the day and didn’t play with them etc. they’ve always slept with me and in my room, so I am kind of hoping it’s that they miss them but for the little contact that they had with them it’s unlikely. Also like I said his brother is fine but maybe he is more sensitive to a little change. Oh and we sweep his litter area everyday because of their little feet leave litter on the floor. They have a litter matt too. And 2 litter boxes in my room and 1 in the living room.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he pee and poop in the living room box? Maybe he doesn't use that one at all? Regardless, then perhaps it is back to the poop smell not being removed from the area where he repeatedly goes. Enzymatic cleaners are your only hope in trying to remove the scent. For carpeting, I have used Vetoquinol 'The Equalizer' - mostly to remove urine, but if it works on that it should work on poop. For hard surfaces, there have been some members in the past who have used Fizzion or SCOE10X, which is also just fine to use on wood floors too.

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he pee and poop in the living room box? Maybe he doesn't use that one at all? Regardless, then perhaps it is back to the poop smell not being removed from the area where he repeatedly goes. Enzymatic cleaners are your only hope in trying to remove the scent. For carpeting, I have used Vetoquinol 'The Equalizer' - mostly to remove urine, but if it works on that it should work on poop. For hard surfaces, there have been some members in the past who have used Fizzion or SCOE10X, which is also just fine to use on wood floors too.
I think I will definitely try the enzymatic cleaner while I wait for his appointment with the vet. That is my last resource that I can do right away. Fingers crossed it works! :gaah:

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
Almost a month later he is still doing this, and even went to the vet. Both of us are confused as to what the cause could be.
:dizzycat:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's too bad. :frown: At this point you might want to try some calming products in case this is anxiety related. There are ton of them on the market, so just do an internet search on 'cat calming products' to see what you might want to try. Not all work on all cats, so you may have to do some experimenting.

Even if his stool is 'normal' now, you could also consider a full fecal PCR test which will look for bacterial/fungal issues, as well as numerous parasites. Check with your vet, but most will accept a sample you bring in without having to see the cat. Collect it, bag it, and keep it refrigerated if you can't take it to the vet right away.

I don't think you ever mentioned if there were any food changes that might be bothering him. Or, if you have tried different litters, and maybe even other types of litter boxes (beyond the ones you have already tried). Cats can change preferences without any reason we can understand, so this is another area for experimentation. You might also want to peruse this TCS article (with links to other related articles) in case they trigger some additional ideas.
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited: