Cat Pooping Outside Box Abruptly

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,

So this is a post for my mother…

2 Cats – Tabby Female Age 12 (passed) and a Himalayan (Walter) Male Age 7

Recently Walter has been pooping in areas outside his box – he even attempted to “bury” it (scratching the floor). According to my mother, his food and bowel movements are the same (he did have diarrhea a few days ago – however, his stool returned to normal – brown and well formed). They clean his water daily. Nothing has changed. I thought at first it might be early onset dementia – however, the behavior was abrupt so it would suggest something else. Apparently, this behavior started after the Tabby passed away. Could this have to do with it? Anyone experience this or has any suggestions?

I told my mother to take him to a vet. However, she lives in Canada and only emergency appointments are being made since they are behind in their COVID efforts.

Also – just curious if anyone knows. The tabby was in good health – showed no signs of sickness (unless they were missed). My mother said, the only hint was the day before she passed, “their room” (where they ate/litter box) smelled “especially” bad (like “bad” poop?)

Anyway Thanks!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If Walter's pooping outside the box started after his buddy passed away, there might be a connection. It could also have to do with whatever caused the diarrhea. And, if he by chance pooped diarrhea outside the box and it wasn't properly cleaned up, that could 'encourage' him to go in the same place again. Even if it wasn't diarrhea it can still leave a scent behind causing the same reaction. I would first make sure the areas where he has pooped outside the box are thoroughly cleaned with enzymatic cleaners to ensure the scent is removed. That might be enough to stop him.

There is no way to know what might have happened to your mom's other cat. The bad smelling poop may or may not have anything to do with it. Cats can be very sick with no outward signs, so I suspect the little tabby girl was probably ill and your mom just didn't see any outward signs. If the cats go outside she, or maybe both of them, could have eaten something that upset their digestive tracts. But, that bad smell you mentioned might also be related to what Walter is doing - so again, get all of area thoroughly cleaned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Feebys Thank you for your response!!

I should have mentioned - both cats are 100% indoor and the tabby was found "swollen/puffed up" the next day on her cat bed... not sure if that helps or not... I do suspect my mom may have missed the signs. That makes me sad...

Anyway - thank you for the advice - will let her know to buy a cleaner right away!!!!