Cat Pooping On Floor And Some Of Our Stuff

JennParh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a baby two years ago and we moved about four years ago and ever since then my female cat will poop and per on the kitchen floor. She will owe and poop on my husbands clothes and other stuff. If my husband or older son leaves any type of shoes at the back door, she will puss on them. Why? I'm beyond bewildered and frustrated. I have rub her nose and shown it to her every time. Could it be us moving? Having a new baby? Why did it just start out if the blue and how do I make it stop? I keep a litter box for every one cat and I have three cats. Why? Why? Why?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there! Just found this thread too!
I think you have a very stress out kitty on your hands. It can also contribute to the fur pulling/licking herself raw.
She may need "kitty Prozac" while you try to resolve your home situation. Not that there is anything wrong with your home!!!!! Just that your kitty feels stressed, because she's....well....a cat.
I still think she needs a vet check though, other than the frustration of litter avoidance, cats can develop serious physical problems (other than the fur pulling)
Don't lose heart, there are many ways to help a stressed kitty get better, even with all the changes you and she have gone thru. (congrats on the baby by the way!!!). But vet first, to make sure she is physically healthy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Rubbing her nose in it doesn't work for cats.
The new baby and house was more changes than she could deal with :)

Try this, and it will take time.
If you can, contain her to one room, put a couple of plastic shower curtains over anything you can't move, have puppy pee pads in the floor and several litter boxes. The idea is to retrain her to using the boxes, and don't let her out until she's consistent.

Try a litter called Cat Attract.

Also try music for her, there's an app called Relax My Cat as one example that can help her relax.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did she start this behavior when the baby was born, or actually two years before that when you moved? (Sorry, I don't know about your previous thread, so I am probably asking questions you've already answered.) Either way, this behavior has gone on long enough that it will be harder to correct at this point.

A vet check is a good idea to start off with - unless she had a recent one already. Confinement to a specific room is probably going to be necessary, as Furballsmom Furballsmom has suggested. If that is not possible, can a litter box be moved to the kitchen for now, preferably nearby where she tends to pee/poop?

And, try to never leave clothes and whatnot on the floor. There are some cats, with perfectly behaved litter box use, that will go on clothes/towels/etc. that are left on the floor. Get a lidded hamper or two to put the clothes in? Regarding the shoes, can you get some sort of elevated box to place the shoes in - something high enough to dissuade her from trying to pee inside it? Or, use a rug to place the shoes on that has been sprayed with a cat detractor - as long as it is not too near to any area where the cats need to be.

Most times cats have no clue as to why they are being punished. A mere second or two can go by and they won't be able to make the connection between what they did and the punishment. So, it also contributes to stress.