Cat pooping human hair

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
For 2 nights in a row now my cat has pooped with long strands of my hair in it. She is getting over some diarrhea and I am very happy she seems to be doing better, but today and yesterday she pooped out my hair. Yesterday was a nice poop but today was significantly softer (this could be because we gave her a new brand of treats).
Does anyone else have this problem and should we be worried?
Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Note: she is pooping out long strands of human hair (mine).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello,
For 2 nights in a row now my cat has pooped with long strands of my hair in it. She is getting over some diarrhea and I am very happy she seems to be doing better, but today and yesterday she pooped out my hair. Yesterday was a nice poop but today was significantly softer (this could be because we gave her a new brand of treats).
Does anyone else have this problem and should we be worried?
Thank you!
This is inevitable. Cats shed hair, hoomans drop hair and at times, our clothings drop a thread or two. Cats lay on the floor, walk around and when they groom themselves, they take in their own hair and also pick up hooman hair and dust and threads. Sometimes they may eat something off the ground with all these stuffs stuck on them.

The hair will come out either as hairball when they puke or out the anus when they poop. Best is not to pull out the hair/thread from the anus as it may cause injury to the anus as we do not know how tangled up is the hair/thread. Just try to clean up the anus gently as much as you can.

Also try to vacuum or use a static mop to pick up all these hair, threads and dust often so that your cat can don't ingest too much of it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try brushing your hair several times a day, a good 50 to 100 strokes should help. And, if you're shedding that much, which isn't unreasonable, you might want to get a drain hair catcher for the shower or which ever drain is involved in your washing your hair. And, you might want to look at the better bar on your vacuum. You may need to cut the hair off of it. If there is a lot of your hair on the beater bar and you don't cut it off, the bar will stop turning and burn out the vacuum's belts. Been there, done that.

Bay-boo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is inevitable. Cats shed hair, hoomans drop hair and at times, our clothings drop a thread or two. Cats lay on the floor, walk around and when they groom themselves, they take in their own hair and also pick up hooman hair and dust and threads. Sometimes they may eat something off the ground with all these stuffs stuck on them.

The hair will come out either as hairball when they puke or out the anus when they poop. Best is not to pull out the hair/thread from the anus as it may cause injury to the anus as we do not know how tangled up is the hair/thread. Just try to clean up the anus gently as much as you can.

Also try to vacuum or use a static mop to pick up all these hair, threads and dust often so that your cat can don't ingest too much of it.
Hi I have similar problem and I have pulled the hair 🙈🙈🙈

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bumping this instead of making my own thread.

I have extremely thick long hair, down to my waist almost, and once in awhile one of my cats will get a dangler poop with my hair attached to it or I’ll find one of my hairs in the litter box, so it seems indigestible/unaffected by stomach acid, which of course worries me because that means it’s like thread.

I try to be very careful and always clean up any hair fall I find, and I even wear a bonnet to sleep most nights (to protect my hair and to protect my cats), but I also have curly hair so brushing my hair daily is not an option (curly girls know what I mean lol).

Does a strand or two of long human hair run a blockage risk similar to thread or am I missing something here?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont know for sure but its possible i suppose if kitty eats one of your hairballs :lol:. my gf has long hair also so i deal with graycies danglers now and then to but i find gf hairs mixed in with the kitty hairballs graycies pukes up more often than not

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Human hair hanging out of my cat's behind...
This is a response from an older thread, but this subject is basically timeless. I do understand that you cannot give a brushing to very curly hair, so that is not really the problem, especially as you already sleep in a cap. I have had dogs and cats my entire life and have seen poop dangling from a hair from time to time, especially when I had long straight hair. Nothing ever happened; who knows if I was lucky.

I don't know if the use of Laxatone would help as a preventative.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Human hair hanging out of my cat's behind...
This is a response from an older thread, but this subject is basically timeless. I do understand that you cannot give a brushing to very curly hair, so that is not really the problem, especially as you already sleep in a cap. I have had dogs and cats my entire life and have seen poop dangling from a hair from time to time, especially when I had long straight hair. Nothing ever happened; who knows if I was lucky.

I don't know if the use of Laxatone would help as a preventative.
Thanks and same, pets all my life, it’s always been something that has happened very rarely and has never caused issues, but I found a dangler for the first time in my newest cats litter box and it made me worried. Bentley had issues with hairballs because of his obsessive stomach grooming habit, so I always have laxatone on hand to use when necessary. I’m just so paranoid about everything little thing right now because of what happened last week 😩 Gonna get both cats in to see a new (hopefully good) vet soon so I can have some peace of mind.