Cat Pooping everywhere in the house...

JoeAnthony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My parents adopted a cat. They live in a ranch with a finished basement. When the first brought the cat home they didn’t “camp” it out to a small room. (Against my advice but whatever). After a few days of being in a decent size finished basement they let him upstairs. Right after that the cat started pooping all over the house. We thought it was the scented litter so my parents changed it back to the original unscented litter...it was good for 3 days and then the same problem. The cat started pooping everywhere. So now my parents camp the cat for a week in the small room with toys, litter and food.

afterthe week they let him out. After the first day, he pooped everywhere again.

Anyone have any suggestions or reasons why this could be happening?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents adopted a cat. They live in a ranch with a finished basement. When the first brought the cat home they didn’t “camp” it out to a small room. (Against my advice but whatever). After a few days of being in a decent size finished basement they let him upstairs. Right after that the cat started pooping all over the house. We thought it was the scented litter so my parents changed it back to the original unscented litter...it was good for 3 days and then the same problem. The cat started pooping everywhere. So now my parents camp the cat for a week in the small room with toys, litter and food.

afterthe week they let him out. After the first day, he pooped everywhere again.

Anyone have any suggestions or reasons why this could be happening?
r

Has he been looked at by a vet and all medical issues ruled out? I don't want to be insulting but is his litter being kept clean (every day)? You might want to add another litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JoeAnthony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The litter box is scooped everyday. This all started right after they adopted him and the Vet have a clear bill of health.
They can add the second litter box but when he’s let out he’ll pee in the little box but poop everywhere else. So idk?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The litter box is scooped everyday. This all started right after they adopted him and the Vet have a clear bill of health.
They can add the second litter box but when he’s let out he’ll pee in the little box but poop everywhere else. So idk?
Have you brought this up to the people, or shelter. that you adopted him from to see if they experienced the same problem? They would be in the best position to know this cat's history and they could also give you some suggestions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat? If he is not a kitten, do you know anything about his past? When he was confined to the one room/space, did he use the litter box to poop? I would put him back in his safe room/space and place two litterboxes in that area. He can be let out of the safe room at different times during the day/evening/night, but when he is, there should be at least one litter box placed nearby where he is at. I would also suggest - as a test - to place puppy pee pads near the box to see if he uses those if he doesn't use the litterbox. If there is carpet everywhere else that he is at when he goes outside of the box, and concrete/hard surface downstairs, perhaps that has something to do with it? No way of knowing what the trigger is until you test all different kinds of options.

Also, I am guessing your parents play with him, interact with him, etc. when he is in the safe room - and when he is out of it? How is he reacting to his 'new world' otherwise? Does he cat toys/trees/perches? Are there other cats involved?

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – Cat Articles
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make – Cat Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – Cat Articles

JoeAnthony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a kitten. We called the original foster parent and they said they are shocked. He is super friendly and loves people so I do not think he was abused or confined to anything small. Not sure on what to do

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try some of the suggestions/read the articles you've been given, and see what happens. It can't hurt to try. Since cats can't tell us, all we can do is guess with different approaches and continue with them and new ones until something works. That is the way of cats.

It would also help to know the answers to questions you've been asked - if not for us, for you.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there other cats involved?
As I understand, he pees inside the box but poops outside the box. Right?

He's recently gotten a clean bill of health. Yes?

He uses the box when he's confined to his safe area. Correct?

It's clear that he knows how to use a litter box. He just doesn't poop there.

That's classic insecure and/or territorial behavior, IMO.

Either one of two things is going on.

One... He doesn't feel secure in his living space. He, somehow, doesn't feel that he is at home.
Maybe he doesn't have enough hiding places or climbing spots where he can look down on the area around him.
A cat needs to feel like he is "Master of He Surveys." If he doesn't feel like he is "King of the Castle," he'll drop dookies all around in order to leave markers that say, "This territory is mine."

Two... Even when a cat is secure in its living space he can still exhibit territorial behavior when there is an interloper in his domain. If there is a dog or another cat living in the area, he will drop dookies as a message to the other animals.

I had a cat that used to poop in the closet every time my brother brought the dog into the house.
The dog normally lived outside in his own custom-built dog run but my brother used to think it was fun to bring the dog inside to let him play with the cat. Every time he did that, we'd find a calling card from the cat.

Two things I suggest...

First, make sure that the cat feels like he can say, "All this is mine," when you let him out of his safe area.
Give him places to hide. If there aren't enough natural hiding places, a couple of cardboard boxes with a door cut in the side will work. Anything so that the cat will have a "club house" to hang out in.
If he doesn't have at least one cat tree, make sure he has one. A cat needs places to climb so that he can look down on the "groundlings" below.

Our cat, Casper, has permission to climb anywhere except for the kitchen counter and the stove top. (Mainly for safety reasons.) He rarely breaks that rule. That's because he has plenty of other places to climb so he doesn't need to use the counters as a vantage point.

Second, if there are any other animals in the house make sure they are separated, at least temporarily, until they can work out territorial arrangements between themselves. If you have another cat, make sure they each have their own litter box. If you have a dog, make sure there is a place where the cat can go but the dog can't. Make at least one room that is "No Dogs Allowed."

As the cat gets use to his new home and gets more comfortable in his living space, rules can relax a bit but, until then, you've got to be pretty strict in making sure that the cat's living space and territory is protected.

JoeAnthony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I understand, he pees inside the box but poops outside the box. Right?

He's recently gotten a clean bill of health. Yes?

He uses the box when he's confined to his safe area. Correct?

It's clear that he knows how to use a litter box. He just doesn't poop there.

That's classic insecure and/or territorial behavior, IMO.

Either one of two things is going on.

One... He doesn't feel secure in his living space. He, somehow, doesn't feel that he is at home.
Maybe he doesn't have enough hiding places or climbing spots where he can look down on the area around him.
A cat needs to feel like he is "Master of He Surveys." If he doesn't feel like he is "King of the Castle," he'll drop dookies all around in order to leave markers that say, "This territory is mine."

Two... Even when a cat is secure in its living space he can still exhibit territorial behavior when there is an interloper in his domain. If there is a dog or another cat living in the area, he will drop dookies as a message to the other animals.

I had a cat that used to poop in the closet every time my brother brought the dog into the house.
The dog normally lived outside in his own custom-built dog run but my brother used to think it was fun to bring the dog inside to let him play with the cat. Every time he did that, we'd find a calling card from the cat.

Two things I suggest...

First, make sure that the cat feels like he can say, "All this is mine," when you let him out of his safe area.
Give him places to hide. If there aren't enough natural hiding places, a couple of cardboard boxes with a door cut in the side will work. Anything so that the cat will have a "club house" to hang out in.
If he doesn't have at least one cat tree, make sure he has one. A cat needs places to climb so that he can look down on the "groundlings" below.

Our cat, Casper, has permission to climb anywhere except for the kitchen counter and the stove top. (Mainly for safety reasons.) He rarely breaks that rule. That's because he has plenty of other places to climb so he doesn't need to use the counters as a vantage point.

Second, if there are any other animals in the house make sure they are separated, at least temporarily, until they can work out territorial arrangements between themselves. If you have another cat, make sure they each have their own litter box. If you have a dog, make sure there is a place where the cat can go but the dog can't. Make at least one room that is "No Dogs Allowed."

As the cat gets use to his new home and gets more comfortable in his living space, rules can relax a bit but, until then, you've got to be pretty strict in making sure that the cat's living space and territory is protected.
I will look into this. This is very interesting and maybe on point.

my parents had a dog well over 15 years ago. And up until they got the kitten, they caught one or 2 mice. There are plenty of places to hide and climb. So idk what it could be

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have your parents had cats before?

If they had a dog over a decade ago but haven't had pets since they might just not be used to having a cat in the house. There's an old saying, "You can't treat a cat like a dog."

You can't call a cat and expect it to come right away. Cats don't respond to verbal commands and body language like dogs do. For instance, you can't just walk up to a cat and pat it on the head like you would a dog. That often sends a cat diving under the sofa.

My mother isn't used to having cats. When she comes to visit our house, the cat comes to greet her and she tries to pet him like a dog. He shies away and Mom claims that Casper doesn't like her. I tell her, "No, Mom. Casper's just hand shy."

Mom is learning, though. The last time she came to visit, she put her hand out and Casper came right over and let her scratch him under the chin. I said, "See! Casper likes you. You just have to let him come to you."

Bottom line is... If your parents haven't had pets in a long time and, especially, if they aren't used to cats there is going to have to be an adjustment period until the cat starts feeling comfortable in the new home.

Maybe you could turn them on to some Jackson Galaxy videos. ;)

CrisL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive been having similar issues with my cat who is 3 years old, I recently posted about it.......🤔

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's a younger kitten, put smaller disposable aluminum baking pans in every room. He might not be able to get to the litter box in time. As he gets older, you can remove the pans. Kittens often are like young children, when they have to go, they have to go right NOW! This helped our girl when we adopted her as a kitten.