Cat poop smells horrible

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I switched my cat to cat chow because her usual food was out of stock and her poops after 10 days of eating it are mushy and SMELLY omg the smell is putrid! Is she sensitive to the food? She just started having this rancid poop within the past few days.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, poor quality food such as Cat Chow can result in horribly stinky poop. It's the fillers and other junk in food which are indigestible and comes out as stinky poop. Sometimes the poop is softer than usual.

Is there a better quality food than Cat Chow you can find in the stores?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try switching to wet food. In addition to being more nutritious, filling, and hydrating, I feel like wet food poops are way less smelly than dry food poops. My cat gets almost entirely wet food with a few kibbles each day. One week I was out of town and my partner left the house for a few hours and our cat tore a hole in her kibble bag and ate as much as she wanted. He said the smell of her poop the next day was sooo much more intense than it normally is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, poor quality food such as Cat Chow can result in horribly stinky poop. It's the fillers and other junk in food which are indigestible and comes out as stinky poop. Sometimes the poop is softer than usual.

Is there a better quality food than Cat Chow you can find in the stores?
I was looking into purina one. She seems to like all purina foods (well I’ve never had her on purina one but I’m assuming she might like it) is that better quality than cat chow?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try switching to wet food. In addition to being more nutritious, filling, and hydrating, I feel like wet food poops are way less smelly than dry food poops. My cat gets almost entirely wet food with a few kibbles each day. One week I was out of town and my partner left the house for a few hours and our cat tore a hole in her kibble bag and ate as much as she wanted. He said the smell of her poop the next day was sooo much more intense than it normally is.
I used to feed her a lot of wet food but I’ve gone on a budget and now I give her one to two cans a week. I hope I can go back to her mostly wet diet! I can’t believe how some foods can make their poo so awful lol

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to feed her a lot of wet food but I’ve gone on a budget and now I give her one to two cans a week. I hope I can go back to her mostly wet diet! I can’t believe how some foods can make their poo so awful lol
Do you have a walmart near you? It's a little over $1 for the large cans (20-ish ounces) of their store brand canned food, and it's better quality than stuff like friskies. One can should last around 3 days for a single Cat.