Cat poop isn't coming out in one piece?

hfbeckett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he may be constipated but I don't see any straining. Has any of your cats had a bowl movement like this/what was the reason? I'm wondering if it's because there's too much fiber in food? On weruva paw lickin chicken (0.5% fiber) he had big long poops.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like a slight version of constipation to me. You could try Miralax 1/8 tsp. for a day or two and see if that helps. Is there any reason you can't at least give him some of the weruva he was eating before since it didn't seem to cause an issue. Maybe a few times a week along with the current food you are feeding him?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
If you attached a photo it didn't come through. My boy gets five different brands to eat, and usually he has a couple logs, sometimes just one, sometimes three. I would guess there's a few variables involved, such as how much water he's drinking on any given day et al...

If possible, --I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , could you add a second brand of food? Can you add a little extra water to his food, or entice him to drink more with a pet water fountain? This could help a bit, although the food itself is likely more the issue.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hfbeckett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found out weruva has copper sulfate in it which can lead to liver disease :/

I actually did give him a dose of miralax and it came out in one go, but wanted to see if he was able to produce a stool like that on his own. The 2nd day he had a good stool but the day after that in pieces.

Has your cat been constipated? And also why

hfbeckett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now he eats a mixture of Nulo minced Turkey and duck and lifes abundance instinctive choice

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guy hasn't had the problem of being constipated.

Hmmm, would you consider Natural Balance? Or Miko's chicken and turkey recipe ... Well, no, I guess that has copper in it as well. What about Merrick Backcountry?

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oliver doesnt have one peice dookies, a bunch of small nuggets his whole life

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he may be constipated but I don't see any straining. Has any of your cats had a bowl movement like this/what was the reason? I'm wondering if it's because there's too much fiber in food? On weruva paw lickin chicken (0.5% fiber) he had big long poops.
If you mean like small pieces, and it's dry, then sounds like he could use more hydration and/or fiber. Cats eat cat grass in the nature too for digestion. They consume more fiber than some grain-free foods provide. My cat also eats mostly/only grain-free (I'm not sure about one of her current wet foods) and she used to get constipated especially when she had mostly grain-free dry food as she wasn't even drinking enough water.

If it's the beginning of shedding season where you live, this might also be related to the increased hair he swallows lately. Both to get more fiber and to take care of hairballs, I suggest malt paste. I use GimCat Malt Soft Extra

hfbeckett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all!
So he pooped a couple big ones lately and I think it just may have to do with him holding it in. I have myself a poop schedule and when he is "on time" for his poop, its a nice poop. When he isn't, not so much. I have another cat and they don't like each other very much so I noticed he only wants to go if the other cat is not there and watching. I also thinking his body was getting used to the new food, only recently did I start trying to feed him better brands.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could you set up another one or two litter boxes? That could give him more opportunities when the other cat isn't in the vicinity.

hfbeckett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! I have actually set up another litterbox, so far he's cautious of it. I'm hoping he likes it better.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good for you!

I've read that if you take a little used litter from the other box into the new box it can help cats make the transition :)