Cat poop doesn't look normal in both cats (photos attached)

AflamedValkyrie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Sorry in advance for the graphic images! I'm having a bit of a poop problem with my older cat Bentie (male, neutered, 1.5 yrs old) and now with my second cat Pixie (female, spayed, 10 months old).

I've noticed the last few months that Bentie is taking somewhat more time in the litter box, trying to get it all out by force, resulting in soft or runny poop at the end and sometimes, a drop of mucus-covered poop on his butt. When this first occurred, the vet prescribed a GI dry food for a week and the stool was instantly back to normal. He did mention that Bentie could have a mega colon but ran no tests.

Fast forward a couple of months and over time, I see him spending more time in the litterbox and the half-solid half-runny poop is back. Also, I don't like the color it has, it could be something wrong with his health? I switched him back to the GI food but this time it didn't work.

Now I noticed that my younger cat Pixie is having similar poop but not as runny. It is however quite soft towards the end.

The smell is usually not extremely foul like a 6 out of 10, but sometimes Bentie's poop is a solid 10 out of 10. Bentie poops every 24 to 48 hours and the vet suggested it could be due to the high quality food and that it's normal. Pixie uses the litterbox (almost) twice every day and is on the exact same food.

Both are exclusively indoor cats, have Orijen twice a day and one can of high quality wet food each. They are also dewormed.

Any idea why the consistency and the color is like that?

-

This is Bentie's poop, photos taken a few days apart.
Bentie 1.jpg Bentie 2.jpg

And this is Pixie's poop
Pixie.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would call your vet again, and arrange to bring the cats in, along with a stool sample from each cat, or to at least bring a sample from each for testing. No, that poop does not look normal. And sometimes one worming doesn't get rid of the pesky little beggars...they are masters at hiding in the internal nooks and crannies. Let's hope that it's renegade worms, but the sample will give the vet something (comparatively) solid to work with.

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t have any advice, but I just want to say that I am having the same exact problem! The vet ran fecal tests on both cats, and they are coming up negative for everything. They are now on hydrolyzed protein dry food & rabbit wet food to see if it could be food allergy related (I really don’t think it is) & probiotics but still semi-soft, nasty smelling poops. Ugh. I feel your pain & I hope you find the root issue.