Cat poop black after transitioning from kitten to adult food

britsta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi so both of my cats are now pooping darker, black looking stools. The shape seems to be the same from their healthy brown poop. This has been happening for about a week now after I transitioned them from kitten food to adult food. They are both 11 months old. When I noticed the change in color, I thought it must just be because of their change in diet...but after looking up possible reasons and finding all of them to be harmful, I'm worried and am wondering if this is at all typical after transitioning foods. For specificity, I switched from wet Purina Fancy Feast kitten food to Weruva wet classic cat food. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

britsta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another question that I have is can the color of cat stool be affected by the food that they eat? Some of the Weruva food that I have fed them is very very dark. They do seem to enjoy the food very much.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, what they eat definitely effects the color of their stool. Lighter food, lighter stool. Darker food, darker stool. As long as the stool isn't mucousy (sp?), I think it's probably fine, especially if they aren't acting any different.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!. :yeah: Food definitely changes the color of the stool. If all else is well, that is probably all it is - especially if both cats are experiencing the same color change.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, what they eat definitely effects the color of their stool. Lighter food, lighter stool. Darker food, darker stool. As long as the stool isn't mucousy (sp?), I think it's probably fine, especially if they aren't acting any different.
That's how I tell who threw up!:hyper::lol::flail::flail: