Cat Pees When I Try To Wrap Him For Pilling

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My cat is 13, male, and he's on some different medications that require pilling and liquid medicine twice a day, for UTI/kidney infection, diarrhea, and constipation. First infection he had to my knowledge. Early kidney failure.

Zeniquin-antibotic
Lactulose- laxative
Metronidazole-anti diarrhea
Cyproheptad- appetite stimulant
Cosequin

Cat has been on meds since July 3rd, uti and constipation started on July 1st.
He seems to be improving, on wet diet and is using the litter box fine, but when I go to towel wrap as the doctor suggests to pill him, hes peed twice.

So I'm trying to decide:
Is the improper peeing a health issue, that I should be alerting the vet of right away? Considering that he is peeing in his litter box in any other situation. I don't want to over react. And the cat had no peeing problem in the past.
Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Posted in health, rather than behavior because of recent health problem.
Cat had major dental surgery 2 weeks ago. Recent transition from dry to wet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Pill Pockets or other similar pill dough to make giving the pills easier? There are some other tips here:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Being wrapped up in a towel can stress cats out and may result in peeing.

Are all of these meds for long term or short term? If it's long term, you may want to ask the vet about getting the meds compounded into a different form that's easier to give such as a transdermal gel or flavored chew treat. Cosequin can be sprinkled into canned food, if you have been pilling that.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely the peeing is from the stress of being wrapped up for pilling. If he like cheese, try cutting the zenequin in half and wrapping it in some American cheese. Lactulose and Cosequin can be mixed with wet food. If the metro is a pill, you can also try the cheese trick.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm wondering if he isn't completely releasing his blatter in the litter box. Because he's peeing, but not as much as last week.

He has no teeth, and even before then he usually won't take a treat unless it's shredded chicken or a temptation treat.
The pill antibiotic is for 30 days, and vet says he has to be pilled because he has to get the whole pill. And the pills were extremely expensive.
Other meds are already liquid or mixed with food.

He's not terribly hard to pill, but it's easier on a way where his paws are not in the way.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It probably won't hurt to try the cheese trick once though. Haven't tried cheese yet

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have had to give Zenequin for 2 months. We only had to give 1/2 pill twice a day. That made it easier for the cheese treats. We have also had to pill, but never wrapped up the kitty.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told to give the whole pill once a day.
I'll try the cheese, but we will see. He's unfortunately not really into treats sometimes, hes picky.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet if a different antibiotic in liquid form can be used instead.

The Zeniquin (marbofloxacin) can be compounded into a liquid and a paste, at least at Wedgewood Pharmacy: Zeniquin Medication & Information for Animals, Wedgewood Pet RX, Wedgewood Pet RX The capsule might work, just sprinkle the powder into a small amount of canned food and make sure the cat eats it all. Not sure if powdered Zeniquin has a taste or smell that is off-putting to cats, though. A local compounding pharmacy can be used.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats almost laways swallow their food whole if they enjoy it enough. I pilled my cat for years using pill pockets for cats. Tear a small piece off the pill pocket and 'cement' the pill to a very small piece of bacon. Sometimes it took more than once but not often. My cats have never turned down fried bacon! I kept the bacon in the fridge, and cooked up a new batch every week. Cheese worked well too if I didn't have bacon.
Your poor cat is peeing because he is so stressed and afraid. That is normal. I hope you find some other way of administreing the pills.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if Zenequin can be compounded into a treat. You might ask your vet about that as well.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we already spent almost 100 bucks on the pills, so buying another form is out this time. But I am going to try to cheese or bacon trick. I have doubts about the cheese, but he loves meat. Great ideas.
He's peeing normally so it must has been stress related.

Colourcloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty HATED being wrapped, when he was a kitten..to take meds....they called it ”burrito” ing. Only his Little head was visible..the wrap was so tight he would toss his head back and scream till his tonge turn blue..seriously..I think that was barbaric. I made them add “do not burrito” to his chart. It was for the safety of the vet tech, with no consideration for the animal. I’d pee too, just out of spite. I found a different vet.
There are some cat treats that are soft and pliable and can be molded when first out of the package...I think they are Friskies whisker lickings they come in a peach colored foil bag...and are pliable when first out of the bag..and might wrap around the pill nicely initially. They aren,t the best treats for kitty, but they are great for bribery and special situations.

Last edited: