Cat Pees Standing: Litter Box Recommendations?

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gannicus pees while standing up. I have been using the Nevermiss litterbox : NVR Miss Litterbox ... It was working great and I loved the horizontal entrance! I thought this would be the one; was good for over a year.. But Ugh! Lately, I am noticing some pee on the side of the box and then onto the floor... like he is now peeing higher than he used to.. (i've seen him peeing like this sometimes... his pee shoots sideways!.. TMI, sorry lol)... I don't want a covered box because before his pee would just leak out from the cracks and it made an even worse mess.

Would a top entry box maybe work? I worry that's hard and annoying for the cats if they have to jump into and out of the box.. although my cats are really young, so it shouldn't be a major problem.

thoughts? thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Can you get a large storage tub (with a flat bottom not grooved)?
Yes, I’d only have to go to the store, which is fine. Do you think that would be better than a top entry? I suppose its kinda similar.. i just need the walls to be tall enough

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A top entry would be OK if Gannicus is a pretty adaptable cat so that whn he is older and perhaps has some arthritis you could easily move him to a different box. I don't know how tall the walls are on the box you have had him using, but even buying him a covered box and not using the lid could also be a possibility.

The box I have for Feeby (which I wish I could find one just like it but bigger in width and length, but haven't found one yet) is about 9 inches high on all sides. It used to have a lid, but I took it off because Feeby does have some arthritis and getting through the entry seemed a bit laborious for her. Without the lid, thankfully she can still get over the top. She is a stand-to-pee gal, so anything less than the current height she has would be useless.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMG_0677.JPG
I have an elevator butt peeing cat who also will spray on the sides of the box. This is ok with me as it's only happening in the litter boxes and not elsewhere. I just have to wipe them down daily. I use the large Sterlite storage boxes. Mine are 30-32" long. They work really well. I switched all of my litter boxes to these.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice! The one I am using right now is 11.2inches tall; called "nevermiss" - designed for this idea.. he goes horizontally, but it shoots over the top of the 11.2 inches. So, how tall are those boxes shadowsrescue shadowsrescue ?

I don't like the idea of him having to jump into it if I can avoid it, so that is good. Unfortunately FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 9.2inches tall won't cut it for us! lol! But I also do like your point about the future and how it could be hard, that's why I'm hesitant. I just need super tall walls

this is what mine looks like right now:

upload_2019-3-1_16-33-38.png

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dimensions of the grey boxes from my picture are 30"l x20.25 w x 17.25 h. You can cut the opening however you want. Mine are 6.5 " up from the bottom.

The blue boxes are 32"l x 19.75 w x 18.5 h and the opening is almost 6.5" up from the bottom.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dimensions of the grey boxes from my picture are 30"l x20.25 w x 17.25 h. You can cut the opening however you want. Mine are 6.5 " up from the bottom.

The blue boxes are 32"l x 19.75 w x 18.5 h and the opening is almost 6.5" up from the bottom.
nice, thank you!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gannicus pees while standing up. I have been using the Nevermiss litterbox : NVR Miss Litterbox ... It was working great and I loved the horizontal entrance! I thought this would be the one; was good for over a year.. But Ugh! Lately, I am noticing some pee on the side of the box and then onto the floor... like he is now peeing higher than he used to.. (i've seen him peeing like this sometimes... his pee shoots sideways!.. TMI, sorry lol)... I don't want a covered box because before his pee would just leak out from the cracks and it made an even worse mess.

Would a top entry box maybe work? I worry that's hard and annoying for the cats if they have to jump into and out of the box.. although my cats are really young, so it shouldn't be a major problem.

thoughts? thank you!
I have a couple of these: top-entry litterbox. seems like they would work well for a stander. they work well for my litter-flinger (which is why i got them!).