Cat pees down drains when I go to the bathroom

keaki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am hoping someone else has experienced this "co-peeing" behaviour that I have.

I have a 3 year-old cat, and we have a very tight knit relationship.

Over the last few months, everytime I go to the bathroom, she scratches at the door. I let her in (to save the paint on my doors primarily), then she sees that I am using the toilet, and will hover over a drain (bathtub/shower/sink) and she will pee too.

She is healthy, has an extremely clean litter box, and also is outdoors for a lot of her toilet times.

I have never had any issues with her peeing outside of her litter box, on carpet, or anywhere else other than drains, and it only happens when I use the washroom.

Any ideas what this behaviour is about?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of a cat doing this.  I don't know about in the sink, but the shower is great. I say it saves you from having to scoop as much, & saves litter too! 

As long as she is using her litter box too, then I don't see a problem, as long as you don't mind, & she doesn't do it w/ anyone else.  

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so cute! 

Maybe you can train her to use the toilet too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keaki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was actually thinking of seeing if I could divert her from the drain to the toilet. I had a cat when I was in university that trained herself to use the toilet. Haven't quite figured that out yet!

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was actually thinking of seeing if I could divert her from the drain to the toilet. I had a cat when I was in university that trained herself to use the toilet. Haven't quite figured that out yet!
So, she's learning how to do it by watching you. Maybe she'll do it when the toilet is not already occupied. 

It's my dream that my cats learn to use toilet (and flush) so I don't have to clean their litter boxes. 

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are videos on line to show you how to train your cat to do that gradually. I used to think it was a cool idea too, until someone on the site made a good point.  The way they use the litter box is natural for them, & if you ever had to board your cat, etc.. you want them to still be able/comfortable w/ using a litter box.

Plus, unless you have a bathroom that is never used, & can be pretty much only for the cat, it may not be a good idea, especially when you have guest, etc...

Just a thought. 

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a big bathroom, so Regent's upstairs box is in there. He went through a phase went he went potty the same time as me. He always went in his own box, though.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I really don't think training a cat to use the toilet is a good idea. Yes, it may work for some cat, but it is unnatural for them. We've seen several cases here on the site where such attempts ended with serious litterbox avoidance issues (hint: the cat did not use the toilet either 
).

Now, peeing down drains sounds pretty cool, for the reasons stated above. What happens if you don't let her in when you're using the toilet? Maybe you could try that for a few days. As long as she's using the litterbox properly, she shouldn't have a problem. It may very well break the drains habit. Of course, if you're happy with her drains habit, you can just let it be.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine will use the box as well. I just wish he would also bring me a magazine.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine doesn't co pee, but now that I think about it, he does go into the tub if I'm ahem, occupied.

Mostly though he demands my lap. So I guess I should be glad he doesn't co-pee, huh.

He does like to use the litterbox if I'm around.

Last edited:

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 1 cat that has a liking for both peeing and pooping in the tub! He doesn't necessarily do so at the same time as a human, though. But if you leave the bathroom door open, he'll go in and often pee and/or poop near or on the drain. He actually started this years ago when he first developed crystals in his bladder. It was a form of litter box avoidance due to pain. He's had crystals several times, but has been treated & is doing well now. But years later, he holds on to that bad habit. Eh, at least it's easy clean up! 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Burt does the same thing in the mornings. When I go down to the basement bathroom so I don't disturb my sleeping husband, he comes along and goes in his litter box in the same bathroom. It now has come to the point when I'm down there doing laundry I ask him "do you have to go potty?" and he goes to his box! The only thing is, once in a while now when I go upstairs in the bathroom without a litter box, he goes over the drain in the tub too.Like they said above, at least it's easy to clean!

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I am hoping someone else has experienced this "co-peeing" behaviour that I have.

I have a 3 year-old cat, and we have a very tight knit relationship.

Over the last few months, everytime I go to the bathroom, she scratches at the door. I let her in (to save the paint on my doors primarily), then she sees that I am using the toilet, and will hover over a drain (bathtub/shower/sink) and she will pee too.

She is healthy, has an extremely clean litter box, and also is outdoors for a lot of her toilet times.

I have never had any issues with her peeing outside of her litter box, on carpet, or anywhere else other than drains, and it only happens when I use the washroom.

Any ideas what this behaviour is about?
Yep!  We have a cat who does this exact same thing.  When one of us, mostly hubby, is in the bathroom, Rico will go pee in the tub or sink.  There's nothing wrong with him medically--he just likes to pee with daddy!  

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats will scratch tto be let in then uses the litter box that's in the same room that the toilet it is in lol. I find it amusing!

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd love it if if my cats peed down the drain. Urine is soluble in water so it would wash clean.

For my cats, the litterbox is in my bathroom and while I am taking a shower, my kitten will come in and take a poop.

Also, when I'm in the bathroom and close the door, my kitten will almost ALWAYS be right outside the door.

And then of course she poops or pees right after I cleaned the litter box out.

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Word of caution. I know someone who's cat started peeing down drains due to a uti. The pee eventually coroded the drains and pipes leading to fun plumbing bills. :/

Last edited: