Cat peeing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may have one I can borrow for a few days. And the area under my widow is grass and I do have some chicken wire i can put down. I definitely know that the cats like to come around because I see their foot prints in the snow all over the lawn and frequently see them walking around as well. I'll have to look up some plants too because that would be a great spot to put a little garden in the summer.
I also think I am going to purchase a silica litter. My cat can be picky about her litter box and even though I scoop it twice a day, every once in a while I do get home late or my schedule changes and I can't get to it as often as she would like. I know with that litter, you just stir the pee in so hopefully if there isn't a physical lump of litter, she won't mind as much if I can only scoop once a day. I've also heard the absorb oder really well which might help prevent outside cats from hanging around as much.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again! Since my last post, we had one more incident the next day but since then things have been well. I really love this new litter as it really tackles odors and is more hassle free than regular litter. There was also a lot of outdoor cat activity and I noticed that lately, she has been burying her food and water bowls with anything she can get her paws on; socks, and an entire box of tissues, among other things. Could this also be a sign that she's uncomfortable with the outdoor cats and is burying her food to "protect" it from getting eaten by other cats? I've also really been keeping on eye on her over all behavior and I have to say, the past few days she has suddenly become so relaxed. She figured out how to open my bedroom door and let herself out a few nights in a row before I just gave up and started leaving the door open :lol: She has the run of the house now and we haven't had any issues. She has also started cuddling with other members in the house. Before she was very attached to me and almost completely avoided everyone else. She wouldn't run from them or act scared but if we were all sitting in the living room she was right in my lap. Now, she's been sitting with them, even if I'm in the room as well. Based on this positive change in behavior, I'm wondering if she just didn't completely trust everyone yet and needed more time to adjust. Hopefully things continue to get better!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This all sounds good!! The covering up food and water is instinctual, so yes, there could be a possibility that she is doing it because of the outside cats. But, if she is becoming more comfortable with everyone and her surroundings, maybe she will abandon this behavior before too long. You can try to distract her when you see her doing it (play with her, pet/talk to her, etc.), just to see if you can eventually break the habit. You can also remove her food bowl once she starts, as that is an indicator she is done eating for the moment. The water bowl is harder, as you really don't want to remove it and restrict her ability to drink, but I suppose you could pick it up and then place it back down on the floor after she walks away.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, another update (sorry 😁!). So she has been really good since the last update until today. So early this afternoon, I happened to be in the room with her while she was using the litter box, she seemed to be taking a pretty long time ( about 3 or 4 minutes) and I did notice a bit of back arching and tail twitching. Then, she hopped out suddenly and ran around the room like a crazy cat a few times before bolting out into the living room. I have noticed this behavior before. I never saw her run from the litter box but would hear her in The other room running around. I thought she was just a weird kitty and had the zoomies or saw a spider (yes, she is afraid of spiders 😂). I looked in the litter box and she had a very small and soft poop. Then, about an hour later, I found a very small puddle of poo on the floor. It suddenly clicked and I think this whole issue could have to do with constipation. I do think that some of the accidents did have to do with behavior, but since she has been so good and continues to appear stress free, I now think that sometimes it was due to constipation, especially after what I saw today while she was in the litter box. Is this something I should bring her to the vet for, or is there something I can give to her at home? I already did some research and some people said pumpkin, but to be careful because it can make the issue worse. Can I give her some coconut or Olive oil to loosen things up?