Cat Peeing When Going Into Crate

Nugs0723

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 year old cat who is fixed and never peed outside of her litter box until today when I had to put her in her kennel and take her outside in my car while my apartment was being shown to a potential new renter. As I was putting her in her kennel she started crying and then peed all over me. Again, this has never happened before in my life. She has always cried a little when she’s in the kennel but never peed or reacted so scared in the way she did today. I will need to be putting her in her kennel several more times until we are at our new place but I don’t want to traumatize her each time she goes into her kennel. Does anyone have any tips on how to ease this process for her? I always leave her kennel out in our living room mostly because I don’t have room for it anywhere else but also to try and keep her from being scared of it, which I guess clearly has not worked. Also, does anyone have any tips on how to keep her calm while we are waiting in my car for the people to tour the place- she just sits and cries the entire time and I feel so bad. Thanks in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try some music - classical harp music or musicforcats . com, and there might be a product in this list that is helpful for you and her;

Only Natural Pet has a product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, and there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there's Nutrivet Pet-ease paw gel.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway, although diffusers are expensive and not always an answer.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If she likes catnip you can let her have some before kennel time. While all cats react differently to it, it does mellow most out. And as far as the peeing, it could be that she happened to have a full bladder and she may not do it again. But put a puppy pad on the bottom of her kennel just in case. Lastly, what she may also be picking up is your stress which makes hers worse. You want to make sure you are calm yourself. She may not be happy about it but in the end she will be just fine.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also ask your vet for some Gabapentin. Works wonderfully.
Also leave the carrier out all the time with cat nip and toys in it so that it isn't so unfamiliar and traumatizing. Lastly, put puppy pee pads in the carrier so if she goes in there it isn't a major disaster.