Cat peeing outside of box (again)

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I've got the age old problem of my cat peeing outside the litter box. I'm extremely frustrated and not sure what to do. I've tried the following:

1. Vet visit- treated for and cleared of UTI infection
2. Enzymatic cleaner- I blot up the pee and clean it with a pet deodorizer every time i catch her, but this is still a regular occurrence
3. Double sided tape- to keep her out of the area after it's cleaned
4. Baking soda (in case the enzymatic cleaner doesn't work)
5. Keeping her in a separate room from where the marking is happening when I go out (again- to give the deodorizer time to work)
6. Physically covering the area and feeding her near it.

Note: putting a litter box where the marking is happening is NOT an option. This cat is a high pee-er and the marking is happening right by my kitchen and dining table. Also worth noting this is happening on carpet.

She's only marking in one spot, which leads me to think it's not a UTI recurrence and when she's blocked off from the spot she's marking she'll use the litter box just fine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If there is only one spot she is peeing in, then my guess is that her urine smell has not been removed which is encouraging her to go there again and again when she can get to it. If the area is carpeting (I think you said it is, yes?), try buying "The Equalizer" (link to Amazon below). It does not require saturating the carpet, so less drying time involved. For hard surfaces, wood included, buy either Fizzion or SCOE10X - also available on Amazon.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's what is going on:
The cat doesnt like the location.
The cat doesnt like the type of litter.

Make sure the litter box isnt near a noisy area (clothes dryer, etc). and is always clean.
Try a pine litter maybe. Or unscented litter. We use horse pine litter (same exact thing a Feline Pine, but WAY cheaper.) Its like $6 for a 20lb bag at Tractor Supply or other places like that. Its unscented and completely absorbs the urine smell. Plus its cleaner than clay and no chemical smell.

Not sure what you've tried yet as far as the stuff I listed, so I just gave some suggestions. Good luck! :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If she had a UTI, she may be connecting the litter box with the pain she experienced. It might be worth a try to replace the litter box with one that's a different color/shape/size in addition to using a good enzymatic cleaner on that spot she's going in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear all,

This is an on and off problem with the cat. I got her from the shelter September this year and think she had the UTI when I adopted her. I caught her peeing on the carpet, took her to the vet, and got her treated. Afterwards she returned to the litter box without a fuss. Come to find later she’s marking on the carpet. Double sided tape worked for a little while. She traveled to family over thanksgiving, and used the box fine but now that’s shes back home she’s marking again.

Thanks for the suggestions. She uses unscented clumping litter and the UTI was cleared about two months ago. The box is also in the quietest part of the apartment but lately they’ve been doing construction in the unit next to mine. I did buy the deodorizer because maybe the kind I used (arm and hammer) isn’t getting all of it up.

I had to buy a high sided litter box because she’d pee over the side of regular ones (she sometimes pees standing up) which I got post UTI.

As an update, this morning she was acting afraid of the box (backing away from it, swatting) but clearly trying to get in to use it. I tried changing the *orientation* and she seems to be using it without much trouble.

Fingers crossed.

Ps- here she is, stuck in the couch. She’s cute and sweet as pie, but needs to improve her bathroom habits

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a pretty girl. :hearthrob:

If the apartment with the construction is near her litter box, it's very possible noise startled her, causing the litter box avoidance. And if there's a chance she can still smell the scent of her urine in the carpet, that would explain why she keeps going there.

An enzyme cleaner is generally the only cleaner that totally removes the urine and scent. However, there are other things you can try. This TCS article might be helpful: How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – Cat Articles