Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box

kk2261

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry if this has been asked 1000 times but I swear its a bit different than unclean litter boxes.
A few weeks ago I came home to find out my cat had small puddles of pee all over the house from one corner to the next and would lay down only to keep peeing, like he couldn't step.
I took him to the vet and several tests and $800 later they say they found nothing and he should be fine. Well, ever since that day he's just been peeing outside of the litter box whenever no one is around. He never had a problem with the food or litter he has now, and we even got bigger litter boxes just in case he felt too cramped and we clean them daily.
I'm not sure what else I can do he only does this when I'm not here, or if I am here he'll go to another room and do it so I can't just pick him up and put him in the box.
I'm just not understanding what happened or why this has occured

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are there any other cats in the house that might be keeping or scaring him from the litter box?

I assume he was tested for UTI? If so was urine drawn straight from the bladder?

Any other changes in the household? Any stray or other cats that he may see out the window? Any chance he is spraying? Also is he neutered?

Peeing outside of the litter box can be the result of behavior issues or health issues. Male cats are prone to UTI and urinary blockages.

Provide some more info and hopefully we can try to help you out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kk2261

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are there any other cats in the house that might be keeping or scaring him from the litter box?

I assume he was tested for UTI? If so was urine drawn straight from the bladder?

Any other changes in the household? Any stray or other cats that he may see out the window? Any chance he is spraying? Also is he neutered?

Peeing outside of the litter box can be the result of behavior issues or health issues. Male cats are prone to UTI and urinary blockages.

Provide some more info and hopefully we can try to help you out.
Sorry for the lack of info. He's the house bully so he isnt getting scared off and he got tested for UTI and blockage they found nothing. He's been neutered, but there haven't been any house changes.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What type of food does he eat? If he is having any type of urinary issues either from stress or health reasons, it's really really important he get enough water in his diet. Water from both wet food and a water bowl. If he doesn't drink much from the water bowl, then you need to add more water to his food.

What type of tests did the vet run? Also what did the vet say could be the possible issue?

kk2261

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What type of food does he eat? If he is having any type of urinary issues either from stress or health reasons, it's really really important he get enough water in his diet. Water from both wet food and a water bowl. If he doesn't drink much from the water bowl, then you need to add more water to his food.

What type of tests did the vet run? Also what did the vet say could be the possible issue?
He eats the Purina gentle food. But he drinks quite a lot of water
The vet ran urine sample, fecal sample, xray, and checked for blockage and said it could be a change in home or his food or litter. All of those have been pretty consistent though.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the food dry or wet? Any cat with urinary issues is best off eating wet food. I am glad he drinks a lot of water.

Would you say he is urinating frequently or about the same as he always has? You want to watch for small frequent urine outputs or large outputs. Is he peeing right outside the box or other places in the house? How are you cleaning the urine outside of the box. Cats will often continue to urinate in the same place if they can still smell their own pee. Some how the smell of their own scent comforts them. So if you are not using a good enzymatic cleaner he may just be peeing in the same place over and over.

You can try using puppy pee pads outside of the litter box to get a better idea of how much he is peeing.

You also can try Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract. It's a bit expensive, but it often can help bring cats back to the litter box.

You might try putting him in a room of his own with a litter box with the litter attract and see what happens.

kk2261

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the food dry or wet? Any cat with urinary issues is best off eating wet food. I am glad he drinks a lot of water.

Would you say he is urinating frequently or about the same as he always has? You want to watch for small frequent urine outputs or large outputs. Is he peeing right outside the box or other places in the house? How are you cleaning the urine outside of the box. Cats will often continue to urinate in the same place if they can still smell their own pee. Some how the smell of their own scent comforts them. So if you are not using a good enzymatic cleaner he may just be peeing in the same place over and over.

You can try using puppy pee pads outside of the litter box to get a better idea of how much he is peeing.

You also can try Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract. It's a bit expensive, but it often can help bring cats back to the litter box.

You might try putting him in a room of his own with a litter box with the litter attract and see what happens.
He's always eaten dry food and occasionally some chicken we cook for him. He's peeing about the same amount he usually does. I've been using paper towels to clean it up, then swiffer, and then some bleach (we have tiles). But I'll look into the litter attract and see how it works out with him.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also look for a good enzymatic cleaner that works on cat urine. Amazon or local pet stores should carry this.

If you at all suspect this is a health issue, he really needs to be eating wet food. Urinary issues can crop up out of no where. You might talk with your vet about this.