Cat peeing on stove??

Khxvii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a 6 year old male cat, he started peeing on the stove and in one area on the carpet out of no where about 3 months ago. He is neutered and always has a clean litter box. I’ve tried changing to a more expensive litter and cleaning it daily and I’ve even spent $20 on a spray that’s supposed to keep cats from peeing in the same spot but I’ve had no luck. I have no other cats and he was perfectly fine before. There’s no big changes or anything that could stress him out, no uti, nothing out of the ordinary. His litter box is in a safe place and he was perfectly fine with it before. I don’t know what to do, my boyfriend doesn’t want to get rid of him because he’s had him since he was a kitten but it’s disgusting and we have a baby who loves to crawl on the spot on the carpet he pees on! What do I do?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, are you cleaning the carpet with a GOOD enzymatic cleaner? If not, that MUST BE DONE! Even if you don't smell anything, your cat does, and will go back to that spot over and over again. I'm stumped on the stove, but...you could try wiping it down with citrus oil. Cats loathe citrus oil.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to sound out of left field. But how’s his teeth? When’s the last time he had a dental exam under anesthesia with X-rays?

My girl started peeing the walls out of nowhere and no amount of deterrence or enzyme cleaner was talking her out of it. I had to take her into the vet anyway so I mentioned it. The vet popped open her mouth and said, “thought so. She’s desperately trying to get your attention. Her teeth are going bad.” (Tooth resorption.). She had the problem teeth extracted and the problem behavior went away.

Even if it’s not his teeth, I would still start with a vet visit to see if there might be something else going on. Clear him medically before you go down the behavioral rabbit hole.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In your post you said nothing had changed but,....obviously something has changed! :) You have a newborn baby. I can't help but wonder if there is some relation to that? How old is your baby? Otherwise, I would see a vet and make sure there's not an under lying medical condition.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe its territorial. The baby is In his spot so he is stressed out. My cat Maggie does not have litter box problems but I can tell she is upset that Coco has taken her bed and playmate because she stares at her and will growl. She cries for attention if she doesn't see me. Even if I'm right behind her.
So be sure your cat is getting lots of attention and doesn't feel left out

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
A cat peeing on the stove is a new one for me!

I'm usually against getting rid of a cat because of behavior issues -- only because things like this I'm fairly sure almost always happen because something is either wrong with the environment or the cat.

How old is the baby? I'm wondering if that new arrival caused him some stress and maybe this is how he's reacting? Check around the litter box, maybe there's something he's not digging? Is his food dish to close to it maybe? Or is it positioned in a way that maybe he gets uncomfortable using now?

I would go back to using the original litter you were using as I'm pretty sure shifting litter could make the problem worse (correct me someone if i'm wrong!)

Also I know you said you're cleaning the box, but are you CLEANING it too? One of my cats, I have to clean her litter box once a week with soap and water and get it nice and clean before refilling it for her. Maybe the box you're using has gotten grimey or something and is putting the cat off?

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m having that issue with Lu Lu I need all the help I can get I clean the box soap and water she’s using the box and I’m scooping everyday idk what else to do

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been there, lived through it, fortunately it was in the spring when we could have the windows open. Our cat was furious about something, which I don't remember. The issue was resolved and he didn't do it any more. However, at the time i wanted something to cover the top of the stove, he preferred to pee down the back burner. I just went over to Amazon and found something that might work until you can fix whatever is troubling your cat. They come in different sizes, and I'd go for the whole top cover not just a burner at a time since pee can leak under the individual burner covers.

1692374682997.png

Amazon.com: Moryimi Silicone Stove Top Covers for Electric Stove Cover, 27.75 X 19.8 inch Glass Stove Top Cover, Prevents Scratching Kitchen Glass Top Stove Cover Protector, Glass Cooktop Protector (Black) : Appliances

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m having that issue with Lu Lu I need all the help I can get I clean the box soap and water she’s using the box and I’m scooping everyday idk what else to do
Has she seen the vet recently? Often times a change in litter box behavior is a change in health. It can be a cry for help. My last cat started peeing the walls when her teeth were hurting her. We had those teeth extracted and she stopped peeing the walls. I’ll tell you. I was stubborn and tried everything including wrapping the walls in tarps. It was only because I took her in for her long overdue shots (city caught up with our registration-expired fugitive and threatened us with fines), and I mentioned the peeing behavior in passing. The first thing the vet did was popped her mouth open and says, “yep. Thought so. Painful resorption. It’s a cry for help.”

So yeah. If you haven’t taken her to the vet since this behavior began, that’s where I would start.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? When did the inappropriate elimination start? Any other animals in the house?