Cat Peeing On Soft Surfaces: A Solution

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update on Merlin situation, since I think I have found a solution, and maybe it could be helpful for some of us.
Short recap:
Some months ago, my cat started to pee outside the litterbox, mainly on the couch, but also on clothes and carpets. He still used the box for pooping. He wasn't neutered yet, but the vet said it wasn't marking related, since he tried to cover everytime (anyway we had to wait for surgery for other health issues). He was fine, no UTIs. We tried everything: added TWO more boxes, changed the sand, tried feliway. Nothing. Most of days he would totally ignore the box and pee somewhere else.
Then we realized that when he poops, he stands, instead while peeing, he crouches and touches the sand. Could he be in pain, or just uncomfortable?
So I started to put inside the litter box a absorbent pad, the one you usually use for dogs. They are pretty soft. And puff, worked like a charm: he is using the litter box again. All of them, actually. We've had a couple of accidents, but now he is regularly peeing in the right spot, with some exception, and not the other way around!
I am planning to try to gradually add sand over the mat during next weeks. Finger crossed.

Nazneen123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great stuff!

Just as you said, gradually add the sand

Let us know how it goes

Thanks for sharing this with us - Could help many Cat parents suffering from this problem

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's amazing and so observant of you! So he just wanted more "give" when he crouched to pee?

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very interesting and helpful! I'll remember this.

Javanatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my male cat is also doing this it seems. He has not pooped outside his litter box ever but he keeps peeing on clothes if they’re on the ground and now he’s started peeing on them in my laundry basket. My female cat doesn’t do this at all so i think it may also be the soft surface issue you had. When you put the pad in the litter box is it over the sand? and how does he not tear it up when he tried to cover his mess? thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
J Javanatt - Hi! Noirele Noirele hasn't been active on this site since October, but that doesn't mean they won't reply if they are still getting notices from TCS. I tend to think they were using the puppy pee pads in place of litter, not on top of. I can see of no reason to use litter underneath, especially if you are diligent about replacing the pad after it has been used - which will also reduce any issues with the pads getting torn up. The other thing you might consider doing is having two litter boxes side by side - one with normal litter/sand and the second with puppy pee pads and see what happens.