Cat peeing on her hind legs and butt in litter box

Charlie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old female cat I just adopted is using the litter box fine, however when she pees, the urine is getting all over her butt and hind legs, it’s not a huge issue, but when she hops out, there are little puddles of pee everywhere. I just shaved her bottom area, not sure if it will help, anything else I can do? And why would this be happening? I only ever had male cats before and never had this issue. Thanks

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with other posters.
The first thing that came to mind is that she is not getting a proper squat position. A larger box should give her more room.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the bigger box and more litter. I did wonder if she might have had a bit of fur that caused the stream to be directed downwards. If shaving her bottom stops it then you may have stopped it permanently. If the issue returns with fur regrowth then a small trim or brushing the fur away might solve it. My fluffy girl has fur get in the way once in awhile and a light trim keeps things neat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charlie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone, I appreciate, it’s happening now even after shaving, and now it’s her feet that are mostly soaked, I am trying a bigger box.

Charlie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the bigger box has not helped, there is plenty of room in the new box to move around. She is also not burying her pee, it stays at the top totally uncovered. She’s definitely walking in it, as the bottom of her feet end up soaked. The last option is to take her back to the vet, even though I just had her there, this is awful because I can’t have cat urine all over every day.

Charlie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I use worlds best cat litter, and I was reading reviews, and I came across someone having the same problem, guess now I’ll try switching litter brand

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think a vet visit is going to resolve this, but it certainly can't hurt to try. Feeby (15+ yo) has mostly never covered her pee, or poo for that matter. The key is: she stands in one place and one place only to pee, and I think she walks through it to get out of the box and gets it on her paws when doing so. Have you noticed that your cat always pees in the same place? Feeby does this, whether or not she has a UTI - and she has had her 'fair share'. The only thing I have found to help is cleaning out the litter box after each and every pee - that minimizes the amount of pee collected in that one area of the box that she can step through and collect on her back feet. I also heap the litter in that one place higher than in any other place in the box and that seems to help as well.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I use worlds best cat litter, and I was reading reviews, and I came across someone having the same problem, guess now I’ll try switching litter brand
How much litter do you use? 3-4 inch high? If yes and that doesn’t help, I’d change the litter into the one that would clump faster, so that the urine is absorbed as soon as it touches the litter. Or I’d try using even more litter than recommended 4 inches.

Charlie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think a vet visit is going to resolve this, but it certainly can't hurt to try. Feeby (15+ yo) has mostly never covered her pee, or poo for that matter. The key is: she stands in one place and one place only to pee, and I think she walks through it to get out of the box and gets it on her paws when doing so. Have you noticed that your cat always pees in the same place? Feeby does this, whether or not she has a UTI - and she has had her 'fair share'. The only thing I have found to help is cleaning out the litter box after each and every pee - that minimizes the amount of pee collected in that one area of the box that she can step through and collect on her back feet. I also heap the litter in that one place higher than in any other place in the box and that seems to help as well.
Thank you for the information, so I’m really good about cleaning the box, there is rarely anything in the box each time she goes. Yes she pees right in the middle of the box. I’m trying another litter to see if that helps, it’s just every single time she pees, she comes out soaked, frustrating.

Charlie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much litter do you use? 3-4 inch high? If yes and that doesn’t help, I’d change the litter into the one that would clump faster, so that the urine is absorbed as soon as it touches the litter. Or I’d try using even more litter than recommended 4 inches.
Thank you for your reply. I’ve tried both ways, I’m pretty sure that’s the issue, as soon as she goes, it’s a big puddle that pools on top and stays there, none of it absorbs immediately. I currently have a standard, clay, clumping litter out, and am waiting to see. Then I will have to experiment with other natural litters. I am chronically sick, and cannot use clay litter permanently. Thanks so much for the response.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently use grass seed litter (SmartCat or SoPhresh) and it clumps great, however I don’t know if fast enough as I’ve never had such problem.. I’ll try to observe my cats peeing and I will let you know if it absorbs urine immediately, maybe it could be a solution to you.

Charlie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently use grass seed litter (SmartCat or SoPhresh) and it clumps great, however I don’t know if fast enough as I’ve never had such problem.. I’ll try to observe my cats peeing and I will let you know if it absorbs urine immediately, maybe it could be a solution to you.
So, there were no issues with the clay litter. She was completely dry. I had also done a test last night with clay litter, the corn(worlds best) and a wheat liter. With water, the corn liter expanded and turned into a watery mush. Of course the clay clumped the best, but the wheat seemed to absorb just as fast as the clay, just doesn’t clump as well. But now she’s digging and covering her liter, so that is another issue too, the texture of the corn probably wasn’t soft enough. I almost bought the grass seed liter, is that soft, or almost of soft/fine as the clay? Tia

Charlie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s been a lot transitioning the cat from the shelter. Just getting her to a high quality can food from the junk dry, I didn’t realize the liter would be such a problem.

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha! Just when I thought I heard it all. I feel your pain! You'd think litter would be no brainer. I think the world's best was probably too soft/light. Most cats prefer clay litter to natural litter in terms of texture. Hopefully you can find something comparable which clumps fast. Do you have issue with clay because of its weight?

Charlie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ha! Just when I thought I heard it all. I feel your pain! You'd think litter would be no brainer. I think the world's best was probably too soft/light. Most cats prefer clay litter to natural litter in terms of texture. Hopefully you can find something comparable which clumps fast. Do you have issue with clay because of its weight?
Yeah, that’s what is was. I can’t do clay litter because I’m chronically ill, and I just don’t believe it’s good for humans or the cats. Too many toxins, and as a result of my illness, I have some chemical sensitivities. So yes, that’s my next step, to find something at least somewhat similar in texture.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to Be honest, I haven’t used clay litter for ages (like you, I’m afraid of it’s impact) but I think grass seed is somewhat similar in texture, its very lightweight and soft, has the smallest, fine pieces. It clumps perfectly and has the least dust of every litter I tried (and I think I tried all natural kinds). The only flaw is that it tracks significantly. But I think in your case it can still work as an alternative to clay if you can deal with tracking (honeycomb mat helps greatly, as well as robotic vacuum). It doesn’t stick to the fur, the mess is mainly around the litter box.