Cat peeing on her hind legs and butt in litter box

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C Charlie77 I’ve just observed one of my cats pee and the grass seed litter has absorbed it very quickly, by the time he has been done, so maybe it will work for you. I currently use SoPhresh grass seed litter unscented (Petco brand) and have a generous amount of it in the litter box. It’s similat to SmartCat grass seed but cheaper.

Teresa2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old female cat I just adopted is using the litter box fine, however when she pees, the urine is getting all over her butt and hind legs, it’s not a huge issue, but when she hops out, there are little puddles of pee everywhere. I just shaved her bottom area, not sure if it will help, anything else I can do? And why would this be happening? I only ever had male cats before and never had this issue. Thanks
I have the same problem!! I took her to the Vet. Had her rested for diabetes and came out find, and for a UTI and came out fine... She is over weight at 24 lbs. Patches it now 10 yrs old. She pees in the liter box and it runs down her butt and legs and some gets on the back of her tale. I clean her with baby wipes and use talcum powder to absorb the excess pee that come out. I do this 6 times a day. She now has started peeing on the bed as well and I had to put pee pads all over the bed. Took her to the vet again. The only thing we came up with is that she does not squat all the way down when she pees. So I observed her and she does not squat all the way like my male kitty does, So that may be the problem. And I have a VERY large liter box, So I do not think that is the problem. I just keep cleaning as much as I can after her.

Teresa2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem!! I took her to the Vet. Had her rested for diabetes and came out find, and for a UTI and came out fine... She is over weight at 24 lbs. Patches it now 10 yrs old. She pees in the liter box and it runs down her butt and legs and some gets on the back of her tale. I clean her with baby wipes and use talcum powder to absorb the excess pee that come out. I do this 6 times a day. She now has started peeing on the bed as well and I had to put pee pads all over the bed. Took her to the vet again. The only thing we came up with is that she does not squat all the way down when she pees. So I observed her and she does not squat all the way like my male kitty does, So that may be the problem. And I have a VERY large liter box, So I do not think that is the problem. I just keep cleaning as much as I can after her.
Tested not Rested!! LOL

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ten years is not terribly old, but is more so for a cat that is overweight. Patches very well might have some arthritis that causes her to pee standing up. Arthritis can be common in older cats, especially those who are overweight. It might also be why she is now peeing on the bed - perhaps, the litter box entry is too high for her to get into easily?

Feeby (16+ yo) has never really been a squatter either, but normally does not have pee running down her legs. I would look into the possibility of arthritis and also consider the height of the entry to her litterbox. Arthritis can be looked for through simple x-rays. There are supplements to give her to help with her joints should she need them (glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussels).

Last edited:

Teresa2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ten years is not terribly old, but is more so for a cat that is overweight. Patches very well might have some arthritis that causes her to pee standing up. Arthritis can be common in older cats, especially those who are overweight. It might also be why she is now peeing on the bed - perhaps, the litter box entry is too high for her to get into easily?

Feeby (16+ yo) has never really been a squatter either, but normally does not have pee running down her legs. I would look into the possibility of arthritis and also consider the height of the entry to her litterbox. Arthritis can be looked for through simple x-rays. There are supplements to give her to help with her joints should she need them (glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussels).
Her Liter box is very short and she gets in in all the time easily. But the Arthritis part, I will for sure check in to!!

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat who enjoys rolling in litter boxes also pees on herself. She sometimes sits in the litter and sometimes high squats. I’ve also seen it where she’s moving forward in the box after digging a hole and so she pees while moving! Then I dig up clumps in the shape of a large cigar.

I trim her back end myself and she gets a brazillian which helps with theurine sticking to her fur because she doesn’t clean herself well after leaving the box. She will sit down and clean her toes for twenty minutes and never clean her back end so that when she goes to sit on furniture she leaves pee drops everywhere.

I regularly have to wipe off her lady bits because she gets dried urine around the opening and it’s gross.

Teresa2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat who enjoys rolling in litter boxes also pees on herself. She sometimes sits in the litter and sometimes high squats. I’ve also seen it where she’s moving forward in the box after digging a hole and so she pees while moving! Then I dig up clumps in the shape of a large cigar.

I trim her back end myself and she gets a brazillian which helps with theurine sticking to her fur because she doesn’t clean herself well after leaving the box. She will sit down and clean her toes for twenty minutes and never clean her back end so that when she goes to sit on furniture she leaves pee drops everywhere.

I regularly have to wipe off her lady bits because she gets dried urine around the opening and it’s gross.
I shave Patches as we. But she still has gets a Foul pee smell constantly. I clean her constantly. It gets everywhere. And this has only been happening for about 5 months now. She didn't do it before. A big change for us.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I shave Patches as we. But she still has gets a Foul pee smell constantly. I clean her constantly. It gets everywhere. And this has only been happening for about 5 months now. She didn't do it before. A big change for us.
Did you change litter? If you wipe near her vaginal area is there pee stuck? My cat also constantly smells like pee. According to vet nothing physically wrong with her. Did patches have a litter? I keep wondering if something happened during that because my cats had a litter before I adopted her. Like maybe she needs kitten kegels. She doesn’t pee on herself and uses the box as normal.

I use water wipes to wipe her off but if the smell is bad I use dr bronners baby soap on a wet towel and soap herup and give her a quick hind end bath. She doesn’t mind.

Teresa2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you change litter? If you wipe near her vaginal area is there pee stuck? My cat also constantly smells like pee. According to vet nothing physically wrong with her. Did patches have a litter? I keep wondering if something happened during that because my cats had a litter before I adopted her. Like maybe she needs kitten kegels. She doesn’t pee on herself and uses the box as normal.

I use water wipes to wipe her off but if the smell is bad I use dr bronners baby soap on a wet towel and soap herup and give her a quick hind end bath. She doesn’t mind.
She has never had any babies. She was spaded at a young age.

Teresa2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has never had any babies. She was spaded at a young age.
I soap Patches up as well and rinse her real good. She is so fat she can’t clean herself down there so I do it for her. She gained all that weight when she was spaded and never lost it. She doesn’t eat that much either and I feed her food with urinary tract health. The food the vet recommended for her.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I soap Patches up as well and rinse her real good. She is so fat she can’t clean herself down there so I do it for her. She gained all that weight when she was spaded and never lost it. She doesn’t eat that much either and I feed her food with urinary tract health. The food the vet recommended for her.
Ah yeah my girl isn’t fat but she definitely has a short torso compared to her kittens. She’s not thin but she’s not fat and she can reach her parts she just doesn’t do it. You could speak to the vet about her weight and the food.