Cat Peeing On Floor

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is peeing on the floor in the master bedroom. I'm trying to clean up the corner. When the door is open, she'll pee in there.
I used to have dogs, that have peed there.
A month ago I threw out the litter robot that was in the bathroom next to the master bedroom. Because it stank so much.
Now I am trying to clean the carpets, and deep clean the whole area.
I thought it was a stain from previously, I caught her peed in there today in the middle of the room.
Also, my bean bag smells of cat pee. I'm not sure how to clean it; I asked the manufacturer. I'm not sure if it was her or a previous animal.
Is it a behavior thing? A territory thing? I don't have time for this. Please help before things get complicated. I'm trying to break the cycle of abuse I experienced as a child by not hitting this cat. Clearly it doesn't work anyway. What else do I do? Rubbing the nose in it doesn't work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is peeing on the floor in the master bedroom. I'm trying to clean up the corner. When the door is open, she'll pee in there.
I used to have dogs, that have peed there.
A month ago I threw out the litter robot that was in the bathroom next to the master bedroom. Because it stank so much.
Now I am trying to clean the carpets, and deep clean the whole area.
I thought it was a stain from previously, I caught her peed in there today in the middle of the room.
Also, my bean bag smells of cat pee. I'm not sure how to clean it; I asked the manufacturer. I'm not sure if it was her or a previous animal.
Is it a behavior thing? A territory thing? I don't have time for this. Please help before things get complicated. I'm trying to break the cycle of abuse I experienced as a child by not hitting this cat. Clearly it doesn't work anyway. What else do I do? Rubbing the nose in it doesn't work.
SO I've thought this before and put up a pet gate to keep her in the kitchen. I let my guard down, and let the gate open. While I was home today; I noticed it is Sassy that is peeing on the carpet in the master bed room. I have her back in the kitchen with the gate closed. Luna usually goes through the gate. Sassy cannot.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SO I've thought this before and put up a pet gate to keep her in the kitchen. I let my guard down, and let the gate open. While I was home today; I noticed it is Sassy that is peeing on the carpet in the master bed room. I have her back in the kitchen with the gate closed. Luna usually goes through the gate. Sassy cannot.
I know why. I fed Luna more, put the food in Sassy's spot. And picked up Sassy, and took her into the master bedroom while Luna ate. Because when i feed them together Sassy bullies Luna out of food. I am being punished.
My carpet needs replaced. Maybe in a year I can Empire to come out and remove it.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@LTS3 can I invite you to the conversation please? Can you please tell me what Sassy is thinking?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is resting on the heated pad under the desk in the kitchen. I have scolded her.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never rub my cat's nose in it. The worst I have ever done to a cat was shake a penny can at him or push the same punk away when he attacked his brother on my lap.

Cats do not pee out of jealousy or spite. If I was guessing I would say you need more (large open) litter boxes around your house & that dog pee soaked into your carpet padding.

If you are 100% sure she does not have a UTI, I would remove your carpet and carpet padding. Then clean the concrete floor with an enzyme cleaner just to be safe. I would take her to the vet first just in case.

There is a great article about litter box avoidance .... but I'm on my cell so I can't link it.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would never rub my cat's nose in it. The worst I have ever done to a cat was shake a penny can at him or push the same punk away when he attacked his brother on my lap.

Cats do not pee out of jealousy or spite. If I was guessing I would say you need more (large open) litter boxes around your house & that dog pee soaked into your carpet padding.

If you are 100% sure she does not have a UTI, I would remove your carpet and carpet padding. Then clean the concrete floor with an enzyme cleaner just to be safe. I would take her to the vet first just in case.

There is a great article about litter box avoidance .... but I'm on my cell so I can't link it.
I'm not sure cats don't do things out of jealousy or spite at this point. I may have created favorites. Now I have to do something about that. I have three litterboxes.
The master bedroom is now off limits.
As long as I keep those doors shut, that may solve the problem of her going outside of the box.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What are you using to clean with? If it isn't a really good enzymatic cleaner, the scent of previous "accidents" remain, and she'll keep going back there. Since you also had a dog who used that spot, I'm betting that the pad beneath the carpet is saturated with urine, even if you can't smell it.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What are you using to clean with? If it isn't a really good enzymatic cleaner, the scent of previous "accidents" remain, and she'll keep going back there. Since you also had a dog who used that spot, I'm betting that the pad beneath the carpet is saturated with urine, even if you can't smell it.
Well, Nature's Miracle

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do pee out of insecurity. Most cat pee issues fall into: unspayed/unneuteted or UTI or insecure

Really though your cat is not doing it to spite you. Also would adding another 2 boxes to your master bedroom be so bad? They are already peeing in there. I would rather have extra litter boxes then cat pee on the carpet.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats do pee out of insecurity. Most cat pee issues fall into: unspayed/unneuteted or UTI or insecure

Really though your cat is not doing it to spite you. Also would adding another 2 boxes to your master bedroom be so bad? They are already peeing in there. I would rather have extra litter boxes then cat pee on the carpet.
The thing is I'm trying to rent out the area, rent the room.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How about...place the boxes there for now. If they use them, begin to slowly move the boxes towards the door, then into another area. I've seen that work. It would be worth trying, perhaps.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, have you brought Sassy to the vet to make sure she has not developed cystitis or a UTI? If not, start there. Even behavior related inappropriate peeing can lead to a physical illness as stress is a big factor, which affects their urinary system. One can cause the other and the other way around.

Second, as others have mentioned, physical or aggressive punishment does not work with cats, and in fact will usually make things worse as they begin to get even more stressed and lose trust in you. Also, they won't do things out of spite or jealousy. Cats "act out" because of stress (low confidence, fear, insecure) or illness and sometimes due to territory, but that also falls under the stress category.

OK, so I also read your other thread and wanted to include the issue with the chewing things when you bring them home. Sometimes chewing can be stress related also. And even if it's just out of boredom, helping reduce stress and increasing confidence also helps with kitty being bored, so, win win. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, if the pee spots have been peed on so much, including in the past with the dogs, you may not be able to get the smell out with cleaning, you'll probably have to replace the carpet. And I honestly don't think you'll be able to clean your bean bag either if any of the little bits inside have pee on them.

For feeding, choose two separate places where you can keep them separate until both of them can finish their meals in peace and keep to those places all the time. If one is done before the other, oh well, don't let her out until both have finished. Hopefully, the one who wants to steal the others food all the time will learn that there is never any food for her in that bowl as it will always be empty when she gets there.

For the chewing, try your best to just put things away when you bring them home. And keep in mind that cats are curious creatures, anytime you bring ANYTHING new into the home, they will most likely investigate.
It's always a fight to keep the cats out of my grocery or shopping bags when I come home and am trying to put things away. And everything new that comes into the house always gets a once over, and sometimes a few gnaws and rubs.;)

Cats love routine and don't like change much (most of them anyway), so one of the first things I will do if I find that there are behaviors that need adjusting, is to start a relatively strict routine and stick to it. So make sure it's a routine that you can follow as well.
Feed them in the same place at the same time everyday.
Set aside interactive play time (at the same times everyday) with both of them together and separately. After play time, give them a small snack or treat (this might be a good time for one their feedings also). When a cat can "act out" it's instincts to hunt, catch and eat, which is usually followed by groom then sleep, It helps their confidence and lowers stress, it also helps release excess energy.
Add more territory in your home for them by adding cat tress and shelving around. Vertical spaces are preferred by most kitties and helps curb territorial related behavior.
Be sure you have enough litter boxes in different areas of the home.

There are a few more things that can help but I'm being hounded to get dinner ready :lol:, I'll come back and add if it hasn't been said by then.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, have you brought Sassy to the vet to make sure she has not developed cystitis or a UTI? If not, start there. Even behavior related inappropriate peeing can lead to a physical illness as stress is a big factor, which affects their urinary system. One can cause the other and the other way around.

Second, as others have mentioned, physical or aggressive punishment does not work with cats, and in fact will usually make things worse as they begin to get even more stressed and lose trust in you. Also, they won't do things out of spite or jealousy. Cats "act out" because of stress (low confidence, fear, insecure) or illness and sometimes due to territory, but that also falls under the stress category.

OK, so I also read your other thread and wanted to include the issue with the chewing things when you bring them home. Sometimes chewing can be stress related also. And even if it's just out of boredom, helping reduce stress and increasing confidence also helps with kitty being bored, so, win win. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, if the pee spots have been peed on so much, including in the past with the dogs, you may not be able to get the smell out with cleaning, you'll probably have to replace the carpet. And I honestly don't think you'll be able to clean your bean bag either if any of the little bits inside have pee on them.

For feeding, choose two separate places where you can keep them separate until both of them can finish their meals in peace and keep to those places all the time. If one is done before the other, oh well, don't let her out until both have finished. Hopefully, the one who wants to steal the others food all the time will learn that there is never any food for her in that bowl as it will always be empty when she gets there.

For the chewing, try your best to just put things away when you bring them home. And keep in mind that cats are curious creatures, anytime you bring ANYTHING new into the home, they will most likely investigate.
It's always a fight to keep the cats out of my grocery or shopping bags when I come home and am trying to put things away. And everything new that comes into the house always gets a once over, and sometimes a few gnaws and rubs.;)

Cats love routine and don't like change much (most of them anyway), so one of the first things I will do if I find that there are behaviors that need adjusting, is to start a relatively strict routine and stick to it. So make sure it's a routine that you can follow as well.
Feed them in the same place at the same time everyday.
Set aside interactive play time (at the same times everyday) with both of them together and separately. After play time, give them a small snack or treat (this might be a good time for one their feedings also). When a cat can "act out" it's instincts to hunt, catch and eat, which is usually followed by groom then sleep, It helps their confidence and lowers stress, it also helps release excess energy.
Add more territory in your home for them by adding cat tress and shelving around. Vertical spaces are preferred by most kitties and helps curb territorial related behavior.
Be sure you have enough litter boxes in different areas of the home.

There are a few more things that can help but I'm being hounded to get dinner ready :lol:, I'll come back and add if it hasn't been said by then.
Thank you I learned something new today. Thanks so much everyone for being there for the cats.
I spoke with a contractor. They agree, the carpet needs replaced.
That area is closed off.
There are two cat trees on carpet. Maybe I can move one into the kitchen where sassy has to stay. I do change the routine often, and behaviors happen. I am learning about my anger and issues, thank you. No cat was smacked today. I should play with them more, I agree. I will feed them separately. I can put Luna's bowl on the other side of the gate, so Sassy can't get to it. And I can see how much Luna likes to eat her food without pressure from Sassy. Thank you everyone, I'll probley have to grow more as a cat person from your wisdom.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How about...place the boxes there for now. If they use them, begin to slowly move the boxes towards the door, then into another area. I've seen that work. It would be worth trying, perhaps.
When the boxes unfreeze I can add them into the corners.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we are here for! If enough of us can suggest enough solutions, we almost always find one or more that will help! Yes, you will learn, and in time, help others.