Cat peeing on Dog

darbym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have had two small Corgi dogs for years now. I just recently brought in a new kitten. Things went great at first, the cat immediately started using his litter box, we had him neutered on schedule with when our vet said to. He also never sprayed anything and only had one incident on a pile of clothes when we accidentally closed off access to the litter box.

Of my two dogs one is about 2 years old and has lots of playful energy, the other is around 5 and suffered a leg injury at a young age. The older dog spends most of his time lounging about and doesn't really get up and play very often. The cat got along with my younger dog immediately, they play constantly and it is adorable. I honestly think my younger dog is super happy to finally have an energetic playmate.

Then, around 2 months ago, some trouble started. I found my older dog's head smelled like cat pee. My first impression was that he found a way to get into the cat's litter box, however after careful inspection there is no way he could have (it is somewhere the dog simply couldn't get to). So I thought it was a fluke and washed the dog. A few days later the smell was back. I washed him again. Then I found fresh wet spots of urine on his side.

It has continued like this for months now. The minute I wash the older dog, the cat pees on him. We have started separating them anytime we are not immediately in the room with them, especially at night. However it only slowed the problem. We have still not seen the cat do it, however even with the separation with enough time the dog shows up with a wet head smelling distinctly of cat pee. Keep in mind, the younger dog who plays with the cat has no such problem, he only pees on our more mellow 5 yr old dog.

Any suggestions, or insight would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what to do and I am reaching the end of my rope on this. A friend suggested feliway cat calming wall plug ins or something... but idk if that could help this problem or not. The older dog has a skin condition and washing him this often is really bad for his skin. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @darbym  
Your fur gang look adorable!  That's a really great photo of all three. 

When I first read your title and post, I thought it would have been the younger dog getting accidentally peed on while playing,...so I was a bit surprised that it's the more mellow 5 year old corgi that is getting cat urine on him.
  1. The only thing that I could think of, is that the young cat might be smelling some type of shampoo, or even that skin condition that you mentioned on your older dog, and perhaps it's causing him to urinate and mark, on the dog.  (Some medicated shampoos that I had used on previous dogs, had the most foul smelling tar smell, and only the 'conditioners' smelled better.)
  2. If the cat had urinated on the dog bed, before, and the urine is dried, but still there, than the young cat would be attracted to the same location. So, the cat might still be trying to urinate on the dog bed, while the dog is actually laying there.
  3. Lastly, the young cat could be a little afraid of the older dog, because he does not play...although since you said that the dog is mellow, then I doubt the cat is urinating from fear.
You may have to set up some sort of web camera, or video, to try to capture what the cat is actually doing. (I know, easier said, than done.)

It is suggested to take your cat to your vet, to get a full urinalysis done, and work-up...just to make sure that the cat does not have any underlying medical condition, which is easily treatable.

I would definitely run this problem by your vet, and ask about the different types of dog shampoos, or even if the cat could be picking up on the dog's skin condition, through smell.

I haven't used the Feliway, but many members have for relieving stress in cats, so it might be worth a try.  Some have also suggested the Calming Collars.

And getting a 'black light' might help you to find if your cat is urinating on other areas, as well.

I hope you get to the bottom of why this is happening, and please keep us posted. ( I honestly have never heard of a cat urinating on a dog, so am a little curious as to what is happening.)  Good Luck.

Last edited: