Cat peeing on carpet

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat or cats are peeing on the carpet in just one room of our house. It is a room we hardly ever use. I found 6 spots in the rug. One of them or both have done this once before but not to this extent. Things that changed in our home is a new baby. We also had a few wind storms recently which I wonder if it scared them. I know one remedy if this is an attention thing, is to play with them more, but I'm overwhelmed with my responsibility as a new mom and trying to take care if the home. I don't know what to do but I'm honestly so annoyed. Help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Congratulations on your new baby! And, that can definitely have an impact on your cats. How old are they? Is it possible that one of them could have an infection (UTI) causing the inappropriate peeing? There is a likelihood that maybe one of them does, but now the other cats could also be peeing in the same area because of it. Do you have an extra baby cam that you could set up in that room to see if you can determine if one or more of them are involved?

You will need to clean the area thoroughly with enzyme cleaner to remove the smell and help discourage further inappropriate peeing. For carpeting, you can buy Vetoquinol "The Equalizer" which does not require saturating the carpet, hence less drying time. For hard surfaces, including wood, you can try Fizzion or SCOE10x. All of these products can be purchased on line.

Here is a TCS article about babies and cats, in case there is any information in it that might help you. Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered! – Cat Articles

If there are other house members who can help you and alleviate some of the stress and pressure, please ask them to get involved!!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the age of the cats, and are are both spayed/neutered?

Do you know if the folks you bought the home from had pets? With the nature of the spotting you are seeing, I'm not thinking this is a likely cause, but it definitely can be. Buying a blacklight was a horrifying experience for us years ago in a prior home.

Is there a door to this room that you can close? One of the best ways to get rid of a bad habit is to starve it of reinforcement -- i.e. prevent the cat from engaging in it. Now this won't help at all if the issue is a UTI, but if it is just a bad habit, two or three weeks with the door closed might starve it out of existence.

Another issue to think about is litter box cleanliness and numbers. It is well known that some cats get pissy (pun intended) about litter boxes that don't meet their standard of cleanliness. My current cats will faithfully use their boxes well past the point where I will feel highly guilty, but I've had prior cats that were very different in that regard. When you open this room back up, put a box in there.

I agree that step one and two are using enzyme cleaners and ruling out a UTI.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congratulations on the new baby! It's certainly possible that this could be causing stress for your fur babies, and stress can cause UTIs.

Therefore, if it continues I would recommend a vet checkup to ensure you're not dealing with an UTI.

TCS has some articles with more info, so I'll post the links.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite

How Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions | TheCatSite

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles