Alpha Cat
Purraise
i need to let him out for some play time i just feel that may be best

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i need to let him out for some play time i just feel that may be best
Absolutely. I think that is best actually. Just play with him, give him some food or treats after, watch so he doesn't go on anything, make it as positive an experience as possible.

We want him to know everything is fine and this is a great way to help him understand.

Let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
will do. he was out a few times and the first he just kind of sniffed at things a little and was not really interested in playing. the second he was much more relaxed and actually crawled into the cat house we have in bedroom with bowie and took a nap. had him out this morning a bit but he is not a "morning cat" its hard when get conflicting ideas of how to approach this, but i do think you are right and this is right for us. i'll keep you posted in a few days and let you know how this is going. thanks!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will do. he was out a few times and the first he just kind of sniffed at things a little and was not really interested in playing. the second he was much more relaxed and actually crawled into the cat house we have in bedroom with bowie and took a nap. had him out this morning a bit but he is not a "morning cat" its hard when get conflicting ideas of how to approach this, but i do think you are right and this is right for us. i'll keep you posted in a few days and let you know how this is going. thanks!
"he was out a few times and the first he just kind of sniffed at things a little and was not really interested in playing." - That is understandable since he was away and he was probably sniffing to see if an "intruder" was there earlier. The fact he didn't pee is great news.

"the second he was much more relaxed and actually crawled into the cat house we have in bedroom with bowie and took a nap." - Perfect!!! Probably because he didn't smell any "threats". This is fantastic.

"had him out this morning a bit but he is not a "morning cat" " - It is fine. Understandable. As long as it is positive when he is out that is good.

"its hard when get conflicting ideas of how to approach this" - I know. There are many paths to success. There isn't just one way to do it. It is hard but it will be fine. I think we know the issue so it will get solved.

"but i do think you are right and this is right for us." - We'll adjust as needed but I think this is the right way to go and it will work out. We need to make sure there is no foreign cat scent around. So your husband should change clothes, wash them soon, etc.

"i'll keep you posted in a few days and let you know how this is going. thanks!" - Perfect. Don't worry, it is going to be fine. You are very welcome. Talk soon.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well while playing in family room bowie not bob just jumped on couch and sprayed. luckily had a waterproof tablecloth on it but i’m at my wits end

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well while playing in family room bowie not bob just jumped on couch and sprayed. luckily had a waterproof tablecloth on it but i’m at my wits end
I am sorry. Thank goodness you had the waterproof tablecloth on the couch.

How was Bowie acting before he peed? Was he "bothered" by Bob playing? Did he seem apprehensive around Bob before the pee incident?

Sometimes when change happens (like Bob not being in the usual places, routines) it can cause issues. But I suspect it is lingering from the "foreign" cat. But that is why I ask about how Bowie was acting before going.

I would probably have a litter box by that couch as an option. And also, if possible, step up play with Bowie.

Part of me is thinking to keep Bob and Bowie together for now but it will depend on your answers about Bowie's behavior before the incident.

Hang in there, we will solve this. It seems to be working (so far) with Bob so it will work with Bowie as well.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i’m wondering if because it was a new tablecloth if he was marking it. they were fine i went downstairs and we were playing with bobs fwvorite toy but with door open after awhile they just walked up here and we were playing here and all of a sudden bowie was just shaking his behind at the back of the couch and a few spots of i guess it was pee came out. since it was new maybe the new cover caused him to? i don’t want to isolate him so i think he e are going to to continue on as we were: watch a little closer when playing in here

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i’m wondering if because it was a new tablecloth if he was marking it. they were fine i went downstairs and we were playing with bobs fwvorite toy but with door open after awhile they just walked up here and we were playing here and all of a sudden bowie was just shaking his behind at the back of the couch and a few spots of i guess it was pee came out. since it was new maybe the new cover caused him to? i don’t want to isolate him so i think he e are going to to continue on as we were: watch a little closer when playing in here
It very well could have been.

It is a sign of territorial insecurity. So really step up play with him there. Also, you may want to get an old shirt, really get Bowie's scent on it then rub it all over the tablecloth, etc. I am wondering (but not yet sure) of even leaving that old shirt with his scent on it on the couch. So that he goes over that, smells himself, and thinks "I own this".

Yes, just keep a close eye on him, step up play there with him, and reassure him if you sense unease, etc.

Hang in there. It will get solved.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah i was thinking that too. rub a towel on him and then on tablecloth if we put it back. the initial shock has worn off and now we are back in “fix” mode but everytime something happens there is the initial ahhhhh

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah i was thinking that too. rub a towel on him and then on tablecloth if we put it back. the initial shock has worn off and now we are back in “fix” mode but everytime something happens there is the initial ahhhhh
Great. Hopefully it will help.

"the initial shock has worn off and now we are back in “fix” mode but everytime something happens there is the initial ahhhhh" - I know. But that is actually good. The human emotions are very important so the fact you handle it well is very helpful. I think we know the cause so I am highly confident we are going to fix this (and we have instinct on our side). You are doing great!!

As they get more confident and more territorially secure this will go away.

Hang in there and keep up the great work!!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we had a good day bob was out for a long time, with a watch on him. drank some water and then went downstairs to his room and peed and bowie has not been segregate and no spraying

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well not a good night. bowie just peed in my bed.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we are going to do the isolation room for both of them to let them regroup and meds kick in i think this is what we must do for now. calling vet again today

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well not a good night. bowie just peed in my bed.
:(

I am thinking it might be because of the change of Bob being in isolation.

Did Bob and Bowie sleep in the bed at night together?

Yeah, I think having them together in isolation for now is best.

Cats do not like change so I am guessing Bowie was stressed by not having Bob around like normal. And he peed. :(

I think I understand why it happened. :( Change is really hard on cats especially when they are close like Bob and Bowie are.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes the slept together with me. it was weird he went into litter box and i thought he had peed then i got up to go to the bathroom got back into bed and realized he had peed. one of the older cats had just gone about five or ten minutes earlier but other than that it was clean. waiting on vet to see if he has any advice

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes the slept together with me. it was weird he went into litter box and i thought he had peed then i got up to go to the bathroom got back into bed and realized he had peed. one of the older cats had just gone about five or ten minutes earlier but other than that it was clean. waiting on vet to see if he has any advice
"yes the slept together with me." - In the past. Not last night though?

"it was weird he went into litter box and i thought he had peed then i got up to go to the bathroom got back into bed and realized he had peed." - Hmmmmmmm. So he jumped out then you left the bed?

"one of the older cats had just gone about five or ten minutes earlier but other than that it was clean." - Hmmmmmmm. Does the cat usually use that littler box? Or is it rare? Does Bowie have a good relationship with that cat typically or is there some caution? I just wonder if Bowie needs Bob more than we think. I suspect that is the issue. Maybe there is more uncertainty with Bowie and the older cat(s) that we think?

"waiting on vet to see if he has any advice" - I find vets are good at medical but on behavioral issues they are hit and miss. :/

I do think the more we can keep Bowie and Bob together the better it may be. Cats often get confidence from the other cat(s) as well as the humans.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they both always slept with me bob has been in basement for a week at night. kevin had them in the bedroom yesterday afternoon and they slept in their bed together for awhile. bowie does not seem to have any issues with the older cats except they sometimes give him a swipe when he tries too hard to play with them he has a ton of energy but he never seems to mind too much. the older cats use that litter box occasionally at night just to pee. although when i think about it bowie has on occasion kind of guarded the door to almost not let them in cause it was like his and bobs place with me? maybe with bob not there got a little more protective of the space?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they both always slept with me bob has been in basement for a week at night. kevin had them in the bedroom yesterday afternoon and they slept in their bed together for awhile. bowie does not seem to have any issues with the older cats except they sometimes give him a swipe when he tries too hard to play with them he has a ton of energy but he never seems to mind too much. the older cats use that litter box occasionally at night just to pee. although when i think about it bowie has on occasion kind of guarded the door to almost not let them in cause it was like his and bobs place with me? maybe with bob not there got a little more protective of the space?
"maybe with bob not there got a little more protective of the space?" - I think that is exactly correct. Cats are territorial and his buddy (Bob) was not there and cats do not like change and then the other cat came in and he could have felt a little insecure and then it happens.

"they both always slept with me" - The key is the both did.

"bob has been in basement for a week at night." - Yes

" kevin had them in the bedroom yesterday afternoon and they slept in their bed together for awhile." - That is good. Though then Bob goes away and it creates some confusion and insecurity for Bowie.

"bowie does not seem to have any issues with the older cats except they sometimes give him a swipe when he tries too hard to play with them he has a ton of energy but he never seems to mind too much." - OK

" the older cats use that litter box occasionally at night just to pee." - Ok

" although when i think about it bowie has on occasion kind of guarded the door to almost not let them in cause it was like his and bobs place with me?" - Yes, that is very possible. A territorial security thing.

I think it all has to do with Bob not being there with you and Bowie. :/

How do we solve it? Hmmmmmmmm. I need to think. Either Bowie goes with Bob at night (I think the best) or Bob comes out and rejoins you all. Or I guess the third is play with Bowie in the bedroom and try again.

We need to think.

It will be solved though.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think now that bowie and bob are in the small room downstairs for a little isolation period the older guys are not really using the litter boxes in the basement cause the rooms are right next to each other. i’m sure we can break them out of that habit eventually. bob does well in the room since he’s been in there awhile bowie not so great when i go see them he just cries at the door to get out. i bought a waterproof mattress cover for our day bed that is in that room should come today so i or my husband can spend a little more time with them the doc said the meds kick in in like seven to ten days so i want to wait til bowie been on meds for awhile to let him out for playtime out here