cat peeing on blankets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sorry i’m rambling it’s not actually a feral but a neighbors cat they used to let out all day when they went to work. he started hanging with my mother in law during the day in her house. he got bit by another cat and almost cried my husband took him to emergency vet and we were able to save his life , and we told the neighbors he was now her cat, and my husband had since been taking it to vet for shots and neutering which those neighbors never did.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
almost died not cried although i’m sure that was going on as well

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks i so hope.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he just peed on a gun bag my husband has not touched in awhile

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i’m so stupid just thought of something that could be so super important. for the last like six weeks or so my husband has been going to his mothers weekly to help her integrate a feral she found into her home. he does not necessarily change right when he gets home and probably had been almost everywhere bob? has peed.
Bingo!!!

Yep, that will do it. Cats are territorial and a "foreign" scent will cause insecurity.

BTW, you are definitely not "stupid". Couldn't be further from the truth.

"and he’s helping her because that cat has been spraying at her house because he wants to go out. my husband was the one who took him to be neutered so he has spent time with this cat and in a sprayed house." - Your husband is wonderful to do that. The cat is spraying to tell everyone that "this is mine". It is territorial behavior. I am so glad the cat is now neutered. Makes sure your husband and/or mom gives good food, a lot of play if possible, warm and comfy bedding, cat trees, scratching posts, and a lot of love. And makes sure there a are a lot of litter boxes. As the cat becomes more confident he will stop spraying.

THANK YOU TO YOUR HUSBAND AND HIS MOM for saving the cat!!!! :clap2:

"the older guys are acting pretty normal ruffy is always a little off at times." - OK

" no i’m not 100 percent sure bowie peed on a couple blankets a long time ago but i did catch bob i think two of the times." - Ok

" we man the litter boxes a lot. i noticed one that bob peed in was a little messy this morning but i cleaned that up many hours before bob, i think , peed. we probably scoop litter boxes five times a day" - That is great

"have some that are clay some are the clumping some have tops and some do not have a lot of options for them." - Yes, some cats like certain litters and different boxes so the number might be less that we think to some of the cats. Cats tend to like consistency.

" yes i really wish i knew for sure. not sure if bowie will want to sleep in room with bob i’m guessing he would rather be with me and if someone pees we will know it’s not bob. really don’t think it is either of the older ones." - I think we know what is causing the issues whoever may be doing to peeing. So we will address the scent issue with your husband changing clothes and washing hands etc. And stepping up play to increase confidence and territorial security.

"gizmo goes to vet in two weeks for his yearly checkup so might have them check his urine while he is there" - Great, always good to get them checked.

"sorry i’m rambling" - No, this is fine. Not rambling at all.

" it’s not actually a feral but a neighbors cat they used to let out all day when they went to work. he started hanging with my mother in law during the day in her house. he got bit by another cat and almost cried my husband took him to emergency vet and we were able to save his life , and we told the neighbors he was now her cat, and my husband had since been taking it to vet for shots and neutering which those neighbors never did. " - Oh my goodness, how horrible. But at least he is safe and in a loving home now. PLEASE THANK your husband for saving the cat's life!!!

"he just peed on a gun bag my husband has not touched in awhile" - Yeah, he is really having a tough time. I am sorry. Your husband sounds like he is really good with cats. Can he play more with Bob and also make sure he feeds after and feeds treats?

Was Bob really close to your husband before this started? Is your husband spending less time with Bob now?

This totally makes sense now. How long ago was the cat with his mother neutered? It does take some time for the hormones to get totally out.

Hang in there, I think we are on the road to fixing this now.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kevin has had cats all his life. i never had a pet when i was young because my brother was super allergic i got my first cat when i was 30 a rescue who hated everyone except me. bob is definately “my cat”,both the newer ones tend toward me although they will sit on couch near him and sometimes on top of him for just a little while. we are going to seclude him in room til meds kick in it’s too hard to keep an eye on him even if he’s out for a bit. we will bowie in and out as he pleases. did not actually see it was bob again of course but he had just been in there by himself trying to open drawers in office furniture. he is great at opening things! i’ll tell my husband!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
think we got it! went back on dates kevin was at his moms corresponds almost perfectly to dates bowie peed!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
but now it is constsnt

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kevin has had cats all his life. i never had a pet when i was young because my brother was super allergic i got my first cat when i was 30 a rescue who hated everyone except me. bob is definately “my cat”,both the newer ones tend toward me although they will sit on couch near him and sometimes on top of him for just a little while. we are going to seclude him in room til meds kick in it’s too hard to keep an eye on him even if he’s out for a bit. we will bowie in and out as he pleases. did not actually see it was bob again of course but he had just been in there by himself trying to open drawers in office furniture. he is great at opening things! i’ll tell my husband!
That makes sense, he has a great way with cats it seems.

I think if your husband can give treats, feed, even play that could be helpful.And continue doing everything you are doing as well as they need you to be confident.

Bob is like my girl. Can open anything!!!!

"moms cat was neutered october 30" - Yes, the hormones are still around. :/

"think we got it! went back on dates kevin was at his moms corresponds almost perfectly to dates bowie peed!" - Yep, totally makes sense now. I am like 99.9999% that is it.

" but now it is constsnt " - Yes, because the territorial security is shaken. BUT he should be able to improve doing the things we talked about (confidence building through Play, Food, Height and Love and having hubby change his clothes, etc).

This will be solved.

Keep up the great work!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU both for all you are doing!!! You and your husband are AWESOME!!!!!

Let us know how it is going and how we can help.

:rock:

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well he is peeing in box in isolation. it’s hard to keep him downstairs. i’m not sure if i should make bowie hang out with him but they were so close and now it seems bob is somewhat afraid of bowie when i put him down here. we have been spending a lot of time playing with bob but he really wants to go upstairs. last time i brought him up to play a bit he seemed like he was trying to find a place to pee so brought him back down

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well he is peeing in box in isolation. it’s hard to keep him downstairs. i’m not sure if i should make bowie hang out with him but they were so close and now it seems bob is somewhat afraid of bowie when i put him down here. we have been spending a lot of time playing with bob but he really wants to go upstairs. last time i brought him up to play a bit he seemed like he was trying to find a place to pee so brought him back down
"well he is peeing in box in isolation." - Great. I think it is all territorial insecurity given the "foreign" cat scent. This is great news.

"it’s hard to keep him downstairs." - I know. Taking territory away is very hard on a cat.

" i’m not sure if i should make bowie hang out with him but they were so close and now it seems bob is somewhat afraid of bowie when i put him down here." - I think I would and just facilitate the meeting keeping it as positive as possible. You want to keep everything as similar and positive as possible.

"we have been spending a lot of time playing with bob" - That is great!!! Keep doing that and giving love and treats. Anything positive.

"but he really wants to go upstairs." - Yes, understandably. :/

"last time i brought him up to play a bit he seemed like he was trying to find a place to pee so brought him back down" - At least he didn't and he did get up there. I am wondering what is best. Keep him down there or having him upstairs as much as possible play, building confidence etc. I am torn on what is best. :/

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think we are going to try and keep him down there a couple weeks and then slowly bring him up a little and just keep an eye on him. the people at the naws here said to keep him down there a month but i don’t think i can keep that up too depressing. my husband and i have very different schedules so we each are down there with him and we bring bowie like seriously four hours a day either together or alone so he definately has had company

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think we are going to try and keep him down there a couple weeks and then slowly bring him up a little and just keep an eye on him. the people at the naws here said to keep him down there a month but i don’t think i can keep that up too depressing. my husband and i have very different schedules so we each are down there with him and we bring bowie like seriously four hours a day either together or alone so he definately has had company
Ok. Keep building his confidence through Play, Food, Height and Love and the more confident he gets the more territorially secure he will be. And then follow his lead. Hopefully, the scent will not be as strong at that point and he will regain his confidence upstairs.

The fact you can spend a lot of time with him down there and get Bowie with him will help a lot.

When he does come back up we'll have to do the same confidence building work but he should be fine in time.

Let us know how things are going. I think this should be resolved pretty soon.

Keep up the great work!!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks ! you are keeping me sane! and hopeful

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks ! you are keeping me sane! and hopeful
You are very welcome. I am so glad I could maybe help a little.

You will solve this and all will be fine. This happens all the time and is understandable.

I just want to thank you and your husband for helping Bob through this difficult time. Bob doesn't want to do this but the fear takes over. Just as if we sensed someone is/was in our home we would be frightened it happens with cats as well. But standing by them and doing the things necessary to help them understand there is no real threat is really important and the fact you are doing that is heartwarming.

Thank you both for all you are doing not only for Bob but all the cats including your husband's mom's new cat. :rock: