cat peeing on blankets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
waiting for vet results he says he seems healthy. we are keeping eyes on him since he has been home to see if he will pee in litter box. he drank a lot of water since he’s been home but hasn’t gone yet

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
waiting for vet results he says he seems healthy. we are keeping eyes on him since he has been home to see if he will pee in litter box. he drank a lot of water since he’s been home but hasn’t gone yet
Did they get a urine sample?

Yes, see if you can see him use the litter box and if there is any straining or noises signaling pain or discomfort etc. It can be a little tricky as some cats don't like to be observed.

Was he pretty stressed with the vet visit?

Did you mention to the vet the peeing outside of the box and if pain could be a cause?

Hang in there, we will figure this out.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well all the urine samples and such are normal. he wants to try the buspirone for a bit to see if it’s anxiety. i did notice him go downstairs and he did pee in a litter box so it’s not that he does not know what to do. i hate putting him on meds so hoping it’s short term and he doesn’t have any adverse reactions. thanks and i’ll keep you posted.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he was stressed on the way to the vet but was fine waiting in the car for them to get him and find almost immediately upon getting home having a few treats and he’s totally chilling right now

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well all the urine samples and such are normal. he wants to try the buspirone for a bit to see if it’s anxiety. i did notice him go downstairs and he did pee in a litter box so it’s not that he does not know what to do. i hate putting him on meds so hoping it’s short term and he doesn’t have any adverse reactions. thanks and i’ll keep you posted.
"well all the urine samples and such are normal." - Ok. Did you ask the vet about potentially crystals or some kind of pain issues?

"he wants to try the buspirone for a bit to see if it’s anxiety." - Ok. I do believe with building confidence through Play, Food, Height and Love is always the best solution. I know about not wanting to have him on meds. :/

" i did notice him go downstairs and he did pee in a litter box so it’s not that he does not know what to do." - Yes, he wants to use the litter box. It is just something that is causing him not to at times.

Did you notice if he looked normal when going? No straining or discomfort? Did he cover it? Did he hop out normally or did he do it more gingerly?

I wonder if he only uses the downstairs litter box. I wonder if he doesn't like others to use the box before him. I wonder if another cat is near that box he doesn't use it. Things like that.

How many litter boxes do you have downstairs?

Do you know if he ever uses litter boxes in the rest of the house?

"he was stressed on the way to the vet but was fine waiting in the car for them to get him and find almost immediately upon getting home having a few treats and he’s totally chilling right now" - That is really impressive. He doesn't seem to lack confidence given that.

Keep trying to observe him closely and try to see if there is any changes in the way he walks, interacts, etc.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bob at least i think it’s him peed on couch now in basement where i was sitting with one of the older cats last night . he has to be isolated i think for now one to make sure it’s him and to try and save the rest of our house

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
there are four boxes in basement and one in bedroom. he hopped out normally when he used the one downstairs he was fine. no straining or anything

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bob at least i think it’s him peed on couch now in basement where i was sitting with one of the older cats last night . he has to be isolated i think for now one to make sure it’s him and to try and save the rest of our house
:(

Do you know if any of the other cats were down there? Any dust-ups before that?

Anything happen out of the ordinary before? How was he acting? Anything at all different?

He is neutered, correct?

How is his relationship with the older cat that was sitting with you there last night? Any avoiding, etc?

I understand about isolating. :/

That is a good number of boxes downstairs. Do the boxes get cleaned in the morning? Is he particular about only going in a cleaned box?

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
always in crease of couch

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he was kinda mad the older one was sitting on me last night cause i think he wanted to. they were all basically sleeping but i know bowie was sitting on me and bob was on couch watching the news about ten thirty this morning. when i got up don’t know 100 percent where they were right after that but about ten minutes later they were upstairs in bedroom in the cat tree together when i heard my husband yell from the basement. they both probably had an opportunity to do it but i think it’s bob stil it is always in the crease of the couch where i saw him do the one timr

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he is neutered yes. it’s slightly possible one of the older cats was with him which is gizmo who i was holding but he has never been anywhere near any of the other times. he sleeps a ton mostly on spare bedroom bed. he doesn’t move around much. the other cat rufus was on our bed sound asleep

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
gizmo is the one i was holding last night i mean . he could have been downstairs but unlikely he is the one who sleeps on spare bed

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he was kinda mad the older one was sitting on me last night cause i think he wanted to. they were all basically sleeping but i know bowie was sitting on me and bob was on couch watching the news about ten thirty this morning. when i got up don’t know 100 percent where they were right after that but about ten minutes later they were upstairs in bedroom in the cat tree together when i heard my husband yell from the basement. they both probably had an opportunity to do it but i think it’s bob stil it is always in the crease of the couch where i saw him do the one timr
"he was kinda mad the older one was sitting on me last night cause i think he wanted to." - Did you call him over and try to give him some love? Or would the older cat not like that? Try to make him feel really loved and wanted if possible.

Do you think Bob got upset when you got up? Did you get up from the couch that he peed on?

Anything odd about how either one was acting?

Does your husband get very upset after he pees?

When you say he doesn't move around a lot what do you mean? Does he play at all? Does he avoid certain areas?

Are you able to get video of him?

DO you think he is anxious? Or lacking confidence?

There is something. We just have to keep on it.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no the old guy that was on me in basement doesn’t move around a lot , bob has a ton of energy. husband gets upset but doesn’t like do anything with the cat like put it’s face in it or anything bob was totally sleeping when kevin found couch and we just started taking stuff out of downstairs bedroom so bob can stay there when we can’t keep an eye on him. i was on a chair in the upstairs room when i got up and he was already gone. think that is when he went to basement and peed. the room downstairs is nice has everything moved his cat tree from sunroom there, cat bed toys food litter box, i’ll probably be grabbing a sleeping bag and spending some of my nights in there because he sleeps with me. doing a ton of playing when he is upstairs and keeping an eye on him. lots of exercise!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no the old guy that was on me in basement doesn’t move around a lot , bob has a ton of energy. husband gets upset but doesn’t like do anything with the cat like put it’s face in it or anything bob was totally sleeping when kevin found couch and we just started taking stuff out of downstairs bedroom so bob can stay there when we can’t keep an eye on him. i was on a chair in the upstairs room when i got up and he was already gone. think that is when he went to basement and peed. the room downstairs is nice has everything moved his cat tree from sunroom there, cat bed toys food litter box, i’ll probably be grabbing a sleeping bag and spending some of my nights in there because he sleeps with me. doing a ton of playing when he is upstairs and keeping an eye on him. lots of exercise!
"no the old guy that was on me in basement doesn’t move around a lot , bob has a ton of energy." - Ahhhh, ok.

"husband gets upset but doesn’t like do anything with the cat like put it’s face in it or anything" - It is understandable it is upsetting but it is really important to try to stay as calm as possible so it doesn't cause more stress on the cat and make the situation worse. Cats take on our emotions so it can escalate pretty easily and get into a bad spiral. This is really important.

"bob was totally sleeping when kevin found couch" - Ok. Do we know for sure it was Bob?

" and we just started taking stuff out of downstairs bedroom so bob can stay there when we can’t keep an eye on him." - Makes sense.

"i was on a chair in the upstairs room when i got up and he was already gone." - Ok.

"think that is when he went to basement and peed." - It just doesn't make sense. Sounds like he was fine before. I just wonder if it really was him (this time).

"the room downstairs is nice has everything moved his cat tree from sunroom there, cat bed toys food litter box, i’ll probably be grabbing a sleeping bag and spending some of my nights in there because he sleeps with me." - That is good.

" doing a ton of playing when he is upstairs and keeping an eye on him. lots of exercise!" - Great!!!

Could it possibly be one of the older cats?

Were the litter boxes fairly clean when he went on the couch?

There is something but it definitely isn't obvious. Medical probably is not the issue so it is some kind of insecurity or stress.

Keep watching all the cats for any changes in how they walk, if they avoid anyone or any areas, etc.

Hang in there. Something is telling me it may not be Bob or Bowie always. Are the older cats acting normal?

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the older guys are acting pretty normal ruffy is always a little off at times. no i’m not 100 percent sure bowie peed on a couple blankets a long time ago but i did catch bob i think two of the times. we man the litter boxes a lot. i noticed one that bob peed in was a little messy this morning but i cleaned that up many hours before bob, i think , peed. we probably scoop litter boxes five times a day have some that are clay some are the clumping some have tops and some do not have a lot of options for them. yes i really wish i knew for sure. not sure if bowie will want to sleep in room with bob i’m guessing he would rather be with me and if someone pees we will know it’s not bob. really don’t think it is either of the older ones. gizmo goes to vet in two weeks for his yearly checkup so might have them check his urine while he is there

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i’m so stupid just thought of something that could be so super important. for the last like six weeks or so my husband has been going to his mothers weekly to help her integrate a feral she found into her home. he does not necessarily change right when he gets home and probably had been almost everywhere bob? has peed.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and he’s helping her because that cat has been spraying at her house because he wants to go out. my husband was the one who took him to be neutered so he has spent time with this cat and in a sprayed house.