cat peeing on blankets

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from that couch a lot of light comes through but you cant really see close outside if that makes sense there is a whole long door of windows but that leads to the sunroom. they spend a lot of time in sunroom, but I would think if there was a stray or something out there, someone would have done something in the sunroom. there is a cat tree in that room, but that is usually where the older cats hang out, and the younger ones in the cat tree in the sunroom or our bedroom. we put a litter box next to the couch for right now, and he really doesn't seem insecure in that area, he sat on my lap while we watching tv last night.
"from that couch a lot of light comes through but you cant really see close outside if that makes sense there is a whole long door of windows but that leads to the sunroom". - Ok, I think I understand. When you say close do you mean near the house? Are there fences or walls that can be seen from the couch? Sometimes scents can just cause insecurity it doesn't have to be sight.

"they spend a lot of time in sunroom" - Ok

", but I would think if there was a stray or something out there, someone would have done something in the sunroom." - Agreed

"there is a cat tree in that room" - The room where the cat is peeing, correct? I wonder if there is some territorial issue there.

"but that is usually where the older cats hang out," - I wonder if there is some territorial issue there.

"and the younger ones in the cat tree in the sunroom or our bedroom." - Great. You have a great setup.

"we put a litter box next to the couch for right now" - Great. Is anyone using it?

", and he really doesn't seem insecure in that area" - Great. Keep observing closely, how he walks, if he avoids any place or other cat, tail position, etc.

", he sat on my lap while we watching tv last night." - PERFECT!!! Exactly the right thing to do.

THanks for the extra info. Very helpful. We'll figure it out. Hang in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes, i truly cant think of anything. this is them bowie on the counter with one of the older cats. hes the little short hair.
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ha, i'm not good at attaching photos.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, i truly cant think of anything. this is them bowie on the counter with one of the older cats. hes the little short hair. View attachment 354610View attachment 354610View attachment 354610View attachment 354610View attachment 354610
My goodness are they gorgeous!!! Wow!!! Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Body language sure looks good.

Nothing obvious but try to really keep a close eye. Even minor things can be very telling. In the meantime, step up play if possible and feed after and keep giving safe love. And make sure you clean the couch properly.

We'll figure it out.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes husband at vet now. i had a picture i was trying to send they were all four on couch in two little love piles the two older ones wrapped around and two younger ones wrapped around each other and like two feet apart so i really don’t think there are territorial issues. sometimes the little ones get on the older ones nerves cause the have a lot more energy but no fights or anything

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes husband at vet now. i had a picture i was trying to send they were all four on couch in two little love piles the two older ones wrapped around and two younger ones wrapped around each other and like two feet apart so i really don’t think there are territorial issues. sometimes the little ones get on the older ones nerves cause the have a lot more energy but no fights or anything
Great on the vet visit.

I suspect some kind of behavioral. But as you point out (and given the infrequency) it is probably subtle. The fact they do get along is going to be very helpful in solving this so I am not worried. We'll solve it.

Please let us know how the vet visit went.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
medically fine. so we will clean the couch covers very well with enzyme cleaners and see what happens. mentally feel better. it’s a couch. we will get it. thank you for caring will keep updates !

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so far so good but putting cushions back together and maybe back on couches tonight so fingers crossed. at least he has not gone anywhere else so there had to be some smell there i just hope it’s out

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
medically fine. so we will clean the couch covers very well with enzyme cleaners and see what happens. mentally feel better. it’s a couch. we will get it. thank you for caring will keep updates !
Great!!!

It is some behavioral issue I am guessing. We will figure it out.

Yes, it very well could be a residual scent. Hopefully it is out. We follow him and see what we can figure out.

Great news on the health front though.

Thanks for the update.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so we have had couch together three days with a cloth waterproof type cover on it so far so good!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so we have had couch together three days with a cloth waterproof type cover on it so far so good!
Fantastic.

I do want to continue to try to find the cause and to help build the confidence so that there is no need to mark.

Hopefully it is/was a scent issue on the couch.

Let us know how it goes.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bad news. cat peed again in same spot. luckily the waterproof cover was on, and it just kind of pooled. but that obviously does not answer the problem. we are going to now try replacing the foam in the couches, in case it is still residual smell. its been humid here, and i read humidity brings out residual cat pee smell. there was totally nothing going on between the cats at the time. i looked at couch, it was fine, they were all just being good and sitting quietly, and i came downstairs five minutes later and realized my house smelled like skunk. i can think of no behavioral reason for this at all.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bad news. cat peed again in same spot. luckily the waterproof cover was on, and it just kind of pooled. but that obviously does not answer the problem. we are going to now try replacing the foam in the couches, in case it is still residual smell. its been humid here, and i read humidity brings out residual cat pee smell. there was totally nothing going on between the cats at the time. i looked at couch, it was fine, they were all just being good and sitting quietly, and i came downstairs five minutes later and realized my house smelled like skunk. i can think of no behavioral reason for this at all.
:( Yes, I am glad the cover was on.

What time of day did this happen?

You have a litter box next to that couch, correct?

It very well could be the residual smell.

Issues do not have to happen right before. It could be something that happened in the past and causes lingering insecurity.

Do you have a camera you can set up there to capture video?

Can you step up play with him there and then feed treats to him there after?

I suspect something is causing a lack of confidence and insecurity there. So play builds confidence so that could/should help. Keep giving him love there (if you can safely). The good thing about that is whatever the cause that should solve it.

Cats pee to tell others "this is mine" typically. So if we get him feeling like he owns that then he wont feel the need to pee there.

We'll figure it out, hang in there. It is a cat's instinct is to cover their scent so we have nature on our side.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes there was a litter box there. it was morning same as last time not right when they get up but while i’m getting ready for work. the only thing beside smell i can think of is that where we sit, and sometimes the other kitties sit on our laps, but bowie typically is not that affectionate. he sits close by but doesn’t really sit on us, although he does sleep on top of my legs when i’m sleeping

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes there was a litter box there. it was morning same as last time not right when they get up but while i’m getting ready for work. the only thing beside smell i can think of is that where we sit, and sometimes the other kitties sit on our laps, but bowie typically is not that affectionate. he sits close by but doesn’t really sit on us, although he does sleep on top of my legs when i’m sleeping
"yes there was a litter box there" - Ok. Good it is there.

"it was morning same as last time not right when they get up but while i’m getting ready for work" - Was he acting any differently? Looking for more attention that usual? Was this after they ate or before they ate? Is it dark still or is it light? Do you know where he was and what he was doing before the pee incident?

"the only thing beside smell i can think of is that where we sit, and sometimes the other kitties sit on our laps, but bowie typically is not that affectionate." - Does he seem at all different around there? Act more anxiously? Walk more cautiously? Tail position different? Lower to the greound? Slower?

"he sits close by but doesn’t really sit on us," - Does he seem like he wants to but just can't get himself to?

"although he does sleep on top of my legs when i’m sleeping" - That is really good.

Usually when a cat goes it is territorial or stress driven. So it could be some threat from outside (especially the morning) or it could be some stress (even something simple like waiting to be fed).

Keep your eye out for anything different and watch his body language, his actions, etc. Look for anything that may be different and then think about what might be happening.

We'll figure it out.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no i feed them like four am then workout so i am not getting ready til we’ll after they eat. by the time i get done with workout they are usually tired out and back to sleep. he does seem like he wants to sit by us, and actually is on my lap now which is really unusual. he doesn’t act different at all when the pee happens and he is definately not intimidated by the other cats. the only other thing i can think of is one of our older cats has stress and chases his tail and tries to bite it. he is on buspirone and we have to have him chase like a rope toy til he calms done when he gets in his mood. we usually do it in the family room and sometimes i think bowie wants to play too but rufus is so jumpy and stressed that i kind of don’t let bowie play at that same time cause then rufus won’t. so today i made sure i played with bowie in the family room area and it did seem to take him awhile to know he could do it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no i feed them like four am then workout so i am not getting ready til we’ll after they eat. by the time i get done with workout they are usually tired out and back to sleep. he does seem like he wants to sit by us, and actually is on my lap now which is really unusual. he doesn’t act different at all when the pee happens and he is definately not intimidated by the other cats. the only other thing i can think of is one of our older cats has stress and chases his tail and tries to bite it. he is on buspirone and we have to have him chase like a rope toy til he calms done when he gets in his mood. we usually do it in the family room and sometimes i think bowie wants to play too but rufus is so jumpy and stressed that i kind of don’t let bowie play at that same time cause then rufus won’t. so today i made sure i played with bowie in the family room area and it did seem to take him awhile to know he could do it.
"no i feed them like four am then workout so i am not getting ready til we’ll after they eat. by the time i get done with workout they are usually tired out and back to sleep." - OK, it isn't that most likely.

"he does seem like he wants to sit by us, and actually is on my lap now which is really unusual. " - Ok, but he isn't discouraged, etc. Might be a sign of a little lack of confidence. Great that he is on your lap. That builds confidence.

"he doesn’t act different at all when the pee happens and he is definately not intimidated by the other cats." - Hmmmmmm, not obvious.

" the only other thing i can think of is one of our older cats has stress and chases his tail and tries to bite it. he is on buspirone and we have to have him chase like a rope toy til he calms done when he gets in his mood. we usually do it in the family room and sometimes i think bowie wants to play too but rufus is so jumpy and stressed that i kind of don’t let bowie play at that same time cause then rufus won’t." - OK, very interesting. I wonder if the stress the older cat is feeling is causing Bowie stress and it manifests itself through the peeing on the couch.

Let's keep an eye on that. If maybe Rufus (I believe the older cat with the stress) might be having more stressful times that day and if Bowie is struggling with it and then peeing.

Does Rufus spend a lot of time by that couch?

Do you know why Rufus is so stressed?

"so today i made sure i played with bowie in the family room area and it did seem to take him awhile to know he could do it." - Ok , but it is great you played with him there. Play is so important to building confidence and reducing stress, etc. Really good. Maybe give some food or some treats after play.

Great, this is very helpful. I am wondering if the stress from the older cat is hitting him harder than we may realize.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
rufus has always been pretty jumpy and chased his tail. we moved into a new house three years ago the same time i found the little kitties and brought them home. so the two older ones were adjusting to a new home and introductions it took a real long time. he bit his tail three years ago and it was then he was put on buspirone. rufus spends time in that room but no more than anyone else. bowie does seem to really want to follow rufus around and play with him but not to an extreme he and his little brother bob tend to just chase each other around because they have the same energy level