cat peeing on blankets

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
help! one of my cats pees on blankets we keep on our couch. it has happened four times now, and we keep the blankets there for their comfort. i know the easy answer is dont keep nice soft blankets on the couch for them, and that is where we are at today, but i'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and what was done about it, and if it worked. he has peed on three different blankets over a period of time, and i keep having to throw them out. any answers would be greatly appreciated. he pees in the litter box with no apparent problem, but just likes to pee on blankets.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going outside of the litter box typically is due to a medical issue (pain, infection) or behavioral (territorial insecurity, stress, etc).

One thing you want to do is make sure the blankets and the couch is cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner since cat pee needs to be broken down and the scent removed. So it could be that there is a residual scent that is attracting additional peeing.

Is it by an outside window? Are there any fights that happen there? Any negativity?

I would step up play in that area and feed treats after play. Give some extra love (if you are not at risk of being harmed in any way). Maybe put aa scratching post on each side (or at least on nearest the site) of the couch. You may want to consider having a cat tree or cat shelving (it actually looks nice when done correctly) above the couch.

A cat's instinct is to use the litter box so we can correct this. We'll figure it out.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disagree a bit with the above post a bit. Going in a random spot on hardwood, or to a lesser degree on carpet, may be a strong signfifier of stress or a medical issue, (although sometimes that can be largely random as well) but going on an attractive spot like the bed or blankets on a couch doesn't signify much to me. Beds are the #1 spot for accidents because the bedding can be kneaded beneath the paws which apparently is enough like burying waste to be a problem. Its super common for kittens and young cats to have "accidents" there, and sometimes older cats can seemingly randomly pick up the habit as well. Couches are soft to begin with, and with the blankets on it you have basically made it just as attractive as a bed. We had a problem with a couch years ago. Blankets are pretty easy to clean, use an enzyme cleaner and wash them, no need to throw them out. Couch cushioning, however, can be very hard to properly clean. Sometimes all you can do is really drown the spots with enzyme cleaner.

Definitely not saying there couldn't be other things going on, just saying there doesn't necessarily have to be, as this is something that some cats will start doing for no real reason.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes, i noticed it this time because i noticed the blanket was all balled up, like he was kneading it. he has done this on three different blankets, the one time today, once about three weeks ago, and then the other two times were spread out over like a year and a half. going to not put any blankets on couch and see if this does not occur anymore. if it does, it will definately be a trip to the vet.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he is about three and a half years old, but the first time he did it, we had only had him for a short time, about five or so weeks, and he was only about five months old.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, i noticed it this time because i noticed the blanket was all balled up, like he was kneading it. he has done this on three different blankets, the one time today, once about three weeks ago, and then the other two times were spread out over like a year and a half. going to not put any blankets on couch and see if this does not occur anymore. if it does, it will definately be a trip to the vet.
Vet visits are always good.

Is he going more often? Is he straining going? Since it isn't happening that often I just wonder if it may be something else.

If it is in the same place it can be a territorial issue. And it could be a prior scent issue. Or a stress issue in that area.

I would like to delve a bit more on what happened before the incidents and if anything is going on in that area (if it is by a window ferals could be coming around and doing things by that window). Things like that.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he is usually just playing and then starts peeing. one time I was telling him to get off of a different piece of furniture and he jumped in a basked that had a blanket in it and just started peeing. the other times have all been on blankets on the couch. twice when he was just playing. the latest episode, I am not sure because I woke up to it, but i think it had just happened since it did not soak through to couch, and he sleeps with me, he gets up about three in the morning and starts wandering around, and i think it was then.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and not by any windows or anything

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he is usually just playing and then starts peeing. one time I was telling him to get off of a different piece of furniture and he jumped in a basked that had a blanket in it and just started peeing. the other times have all been on blankets on the couch. twice when he was just playing. the latest episode, I am not sure because I woke up to it, but i think it had just happened since it did not soak through to couch, and he sleeps with me, he gets up about three in the morning and starts wandering around, and i think it was then.
Is he playing by himself or are you playing with him?

"one time I was telling him to get off of a different piece of furniture and he jumped in a basked that had a blanket in it and just started peeing" - This could have been stress driven as the telling him to get off could have been mis-interpreted and caused him stress.

But after playing could be a territorial issue. Play usually builds confidence and territorial security but it almost seems like maybe he needs to tell someone that "this territory is mine".

Do you have any other animals in the house?

It is very infrequent but there must be something.

I am glad that the last one did not get into the couch.

Before the other few times was there anything that happened that might increase stress?

Do you have feral cats or other animals that come around the house?

Don't worry, we'll figure it out and do the necessary things to make it stop.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes he is one of four cats. one is his brother and the other two are older they generally get along pretty good. i got rid of the blankets and it has been fine so far. i found a toy he really likes and have been playing a little more too. have not noticed any ferals

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes he is one of four cats. one is his brother and the other two are older they generally get along pretty good. i got rid of the blankets and it has been fine so far. i found a toy he really likes and have been playing a little more too. have not noticed any ferals
"pretyy good"? Any bullying fighting?

Does the cat peeing do any hiding, avoiding, walking lower to the ground or having the tail lower? Anything different in the body language?

"i found a toy he really likes and have been playing a little more too." - Great, that will help his confidence.

" have not noticed any ferals" - Ok, they can be tricky to see. If you have a blacklight take a look around the house to see any markings.

Let's hope it is as simple as not having blankets there, having the area washed with an enzymatic cleaner.

If it was something serious it would be happening often not so rarely. But something is going on since it has happened more than once as cats like to cover their scent. Putting their scent on something is "ownership" so we can replace that with confidence (Play, Food, Height and Love) and scent replacements like a scratching post or cat tree.

Just keep us up on anything that is "different". Body language, relationships, stress in the household etc. There is a answer. My sense is it isn't anything to serious which is good but if we can solve it that is best.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just peed all over couch. trip to vet next step. i’m seriously crying

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we use both clumping and regular have four boxes around the house. two different kinds of litter. he definitely uses the litter boxes, ive seen him pee in them. im wondering if couch had some residual smell from when he peed on the blankets, it was on the spot where blankets were

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he really is a good cat, has been a little hyper lately. also that is where my husband and I watch tv., and one or another of the older cats usually sits with us, but the little guys come over to and hang out, and there have never been fights over it or anything

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he really is a good cat, has been a little hyper lately. also that is where my husband and I watch tv., and one or another of the older cats usually sits with us, but the little guys come over to and hang out, and there have never been fights over it or anything
I am so sorry. I know how hard it is. We will fix this, we'll figure it out. A cat's instinct is to cover their scent and they really don;t want to go outside of the litter box.

A vet visit is good to rule out any medical issues.

" im wondering if couch had some residual smell from when he peed on the blankets, it was on the spot where blankets were" - It is very possible.

Are you sure he is the only cat peeing there? Did you see him?

"he really is a good cat" - Great.

"has been a little hyper lately." - Any idea as to why? This could be the source. Think like a detective. Look for any changes. Try to observe what is happening. Especially in that area. So if it is by a window or a door or if there are some battles with other cats around that area.

Peeing often times is "ownership". Getting their scent there to say "I own this". It is a sign of a lack of confidence and territorial security. Play with him in that area then give treats. And if safe and you are not at risk of being hurt give some love there.

also that is where my husband and I watch tv., and one or another of the older cats usually sits with us, but the little guys come over to and hang out, and there have never been fights over it or anything.

"and one or another of the older cats usually sits with us" - Ok. Does he bully the cat peeing at all? Anywhere not just there?

"but the little guys come over to and hang out, and there have never been fights over it or anything" - Great. But is there tension? SO staredowns? Or avoiding? Walking differently (cautiously)?

Is the cat peeing one of the "little guys"?

I am not an expert on cleaning pee but make sure you use an enzymatic cleaner and maybe make a new post about how to clean pee off of couches.

Hang in there, please don't cry and worry, we will fix this. This is a common problem but we have cat's instinct (wanting to cover their scent) on our side. We have many tools to solve this.

Please let us know how it is going and ask anything anytime. We are here for you.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes it’s one of the little guys who peed. he’s kind of shy and doesn’t like to be petted too much but sleeps on top of me. he always is going up to the older ones and rubbing against them like he wants to be liked by them. him and his brother play fight but are generally always just curled up in a cat tree together. it is in our family room but the family room leads out to a sunroom so there are no real windows right there look out to sunroom where the windows are

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and thank you!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes it’s one of the little guys who peed. he’s kind of shy and doesn’t like to be petted too much but sleeps on top of me. he always is going up to the older ones and rubbing against them like he wants to be liked by them. him and his brother play fight but are generally always just curled up in a cat tree together. it is in our family room but the family room leads out to a sunroom so there are no real windows right there look out to sunroom where the windows are
Thank you. I am wondering if he is feeling some insecurity especially in that area. If you can play with him around the couch that could be helpful. Then after play feed treats or some of his food. Anything he likes. That builds confidence as it replicates the Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat instinct in the wild. Also, if you own the home you may want to consider cat shelving above the couch there is possible as height can give confidence and territorial security. I would also consider a cat tree and some scratching posts. And then give some reassuring love with him in that area. Also, when he goes try to be as unemotional as possible as negative emotions can cause stress and make the peeing worse.

From that couch, can he see outside?

We will figure this out. Awwww, you are very welcome. That is why we are here, to help. There is a reason, we just need to figure it out. He is probably trying to tell us something.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
from that couch a lot of light comes through but you cant really see close outside if that makes sense there is a whole long door of windows but that leads to the sunroom. they spend a lot of time in sunroom, but I would think if there was a stray or something out there, someone would have done something in the sunroom. there is a cat tree in that room, but that is usually where the older cats hang out, and the younger ones in the cat tree in the sunroom or our bedroom. we put a litter box next to the couch for right now, and he really doesn't seem insecure in that area, he sat on my lap while we watching tv last night.